Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got a new job

Re: I got a new job

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I've actually lived here since 1984. It's a nice safe place to live.
    Do you drink the water?

(I'll be quiet now; I signed a non-disclosure agreement. An old friend who lives in Amarillo told me everybody knows, though.)
    [Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Do you drink the water?

(I'll be quiet now; I signed a non-disclosure agreement. An old friend who lives in Amarillo told me everybody knows, though.)
    It got pretty bad when they switched from Lake Meredith to the Ogallala. It isn't overly bad now, but we do use filtered water.

I guess I am used to it.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

4. Likes:

marcshoe (03-20-2019)

nm.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 03-20-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    [Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

nm.

I wrote a post about what I found out about Amarillo's groundwater when I used to code legal documents, then decided it was not good to put here. Nothing major Just death, destruction and pestilence.

I wrote a post about what I found out about Amarillo's groundwater when I used to code legal documents, then decided it was not good to put here. Nothing major Just death, destruction and pestilence.
    We do have Pantex. They do dismantle nuclear weapons.

meh, unless you are getting your water from melted runoff in the Rockies, everyone's water sucks. I bet it's still better than Flint, MI.

meh, unless you are getting your water from melted runoff in the Rockies, everyone's water sucks. I bet it's still better than Flint, MI.
    The papers we saw included a detailed description of how urgent the problem was, followed by another the next morning saying that the investigator hadn't been able to sleep because the first letter hadn't made the urgency of the matter clear enough. There were also stories of a cow falling into a pond and having its flesh eaten away.

It's been twenty years, and I don't remember details, but strangely enough, this wasn't Pantex. This had to do with a company that had gone bankrupt and gone away, which complicated matters. Trying to avoid the political on this, and I'm not sure the situation was as political as one might think. Oh well; it's been so long that I assume either the problem's been fixed, or Amarillo is populated by glowing zombies.

Which might be a good addition to the team name: the Amarillo Glowing Sod Poodle Zombies.
    Last edited by marcshoe; Yesterday at 04:17 PM.

The papers we saw included a detailed description of how urgent the problem was, followed by another the next morning saying that the investigator hadn't been able to sleep because the first letter hadn't made the urgency of the matter clear enough. There were also stories of a cow falling into a pond and having its flesh eaten away.

It's been twenty years, and I don't remember details, but strangely enough, this wasn't Pantex. This had to do with a company that had gone bankrupt and gone away, which complicated matters. Trying to avoid the political on this, and I'm not sure the situation was as political as one might think. Oh well; it's been so long that I assume either the problem's been fixed, or Amarillo is populated by glowing zombies.
    It's a pale yellow glow.

I'm trying to think back, 20 years ago i was leaving TV and entering Higher Ed. I missed a lot in the way on news for a couple of years. It's not Asarco, they are still zinc smelting. Amarillo DID change from Lake Meredith to the Ogallala Aquifer about 18 years ago, and the water taste improved after about 3-4 months. The water is still ridiculously hard, but filtered and softened it's not really a huge complaint, at least for me.

I never heard the cow story though.

You didn't hear it from me either; I signed a non-disclosure agreement. I would bet that the change might have been prompted by this issue, but I'm not sure.

We get ours from melted runoff from Mt. Hood. If we could just get Federal regulators to mind their own business on what they have nonidea what they are talking about, our water would be perfect. Stop putting the chlorine in our water. I can smell it when it comes out of the tap. Chlorine rises into the air, so if you let it sit, it's all right.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?