Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nats need an OF

Winning is fun.

Re: Nats need an OF

After what we've had to watch the last four seasons, excuse me if I don't get upset with the problem of having too many options.

The "there won't be enough ABs" crowd sounds similar to the "there won't be enough innings" group. No such thing as too much depth. These things tend to sort themselves out.

2. Likes:

Big Klu (03-16-2019),Griffey012 (03-16-2019),Tracy Jones (03-16-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I get that's how you'd like to see it, but far as I can tell Kemp's getting the bulk of the starts in LF and hitting 3rd.
    Bell's on record saying he expects Winker to get 500 plus AB. Now granted, I put stock in actions, not words...so who knows.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...-time-expected

But in speaking of Winker it seems Bell is aware of Jesse's importance to the club going forward...so I don't think (as said who knows) Winker will be sitting often so Kemp can play.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    After what we've had to watch the last four seasons, excuse me if I don't get upset with the problem of having too many options.

The "there won't be enough ABs" crowd sounds similar to the "there won't be enough innings" group. No such thing as too much depth. These things tend to sort themselves out.
    Depth is good. The question is how much you need in the OF corners.

Would seem that Kemp, Winker, Puig, Schebler, Dietrich and (likely at AAA) Ervin is overkill for depth at those two positions. Other areas need help too.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I get that's how you'd like to see it, but far as I can tell Kemp's getting the bulk of the starts in LF and hitting 3rd.
    Itís also spring training and Bell has already said Winkerís getting 500 at bats this year at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

7. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (03-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Because some people see Kemp as a threat to Jesse Winker.

Me? I'm with you. Keep them both and see how it unfolds. These things usually have a way of working themselves out.

It can be done. In 1999, Jack McKeon found a way to get significant playing time for Greg Vaughn, Mike Cameron, Dmitri Young, Michael Tucker, and Jeffrey Hammonds.
    Well if Winker is as good as many think he is, it will work itself out, like you said.

Besides, now is not the time to trade Kemp. The time to trade him is in July, when a team is more desperate for a needed piece for a playoff push and his contract is far less of a roadblock. Youíll get more for him then than you would now. And if the Reds are contending come July, I donít want them to trade Kemp at all. Ride it out and see where it goes.

9. Likes:

Big Klu (03-16-2019),Old school 1983 (03-16-2019),Red Raindog (03-16-2019),RiverRat13 (03-16-2019),Stingray (03-18-2019)

nm
    ďI walk into the clubhouse today and itís like walking into the Mayo Clinic. We have four doctors, three therapists and five trainers. Back when I broke in, we had one trainer who carried a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and by the 7th inning heíd already drunk it.Ē óTommy Lasorda

The Dodgers took on Homer Baileys salary and gave some cash for the Reds taking Kemp and his salary.

Why on earth would another team take Kemp in a trade ????

The Reds are going to have to cut him and hope another team picks him up and eases, at least, some of his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Anyone need a Finnegan?
    Is it sticky?

13. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (03-18-2019)

If the Reds trade Kemp they are paying most of his salary in the process. Not sure why thatís so hard to comprehend around here.

Senzel can also be a backup IF. Heís played 3B extensively and played 2B last season. He could get a few starts at both spots as well.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

15. Likes:

Mitri (03-16-2019),Old school 1983 (03-16-2019)

On Kemp’s salary, I refer you to a July 22, 2018 article in Beyond the Box Score (SB Nation) entitled “Who’s Paying for Matt Kemp to be Awesome.”

It’s written from the Dodger/Padres perspective, obviously before the Reds/LA trade.

It traces through the Kemp contract and trade deals. There’s a chart called Matt Kemp Salary Breakdown ($ Millions). It says that for 2019, $6 million of Kemp’s salary was being paid by sellers in previous trades (LA and SD).

Kemp’s net salary for 2019 is listed at $15.75 million.

This is before the Dodgers paid the Reds $7 million in cash in the Kemp trade, which off-sets some of Kemp’s salary.

Read it and judge for yourself. Impossible to know from the article what benefit (if any) Reds are getting from these previous obligations. But it’s possible Reds own salary commitment to Kemp is much less than previously believed.

If he is cheaper, he’s easier to keep and easier to trade. Again, judge for yourself.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-16-2019 at 12:30 PM.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Is it sticky?
    yes -- but certainly not a good sticky
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Anyone who thinks the five outfielders will be healthy this entire year (no dls at all) may want to buy a bridge I have for sale in Brooklyn.
    Goodbye Homer!

matt kemp has a lot of value for the reds this year. over 162 games, the team will need all 5 of the outfielders (puig, winker, kemp, senzel and schebler). guys will get hurt. guys will need days off. there will also be a handful of games at american league parks where all four of the top outfielders can start, with one of them dh'ing.

if a team wants to give the reds a great deal for matt kemp, go for it. but no need for the reds to try and 'get rid of him' or anything. he has a lot of value to this club.

20. Likes:

Stingray (03-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    On Kemp’s salary, I refer you to a July 22, 2018 article in Beyond the Box Score (SB Nation) entitled “Who’s Paying for Matt Kemp to be Awesome.”

It’s written from the Dodger perspective, obviously before the Reds’ trade.

It traces through the Kemp contract and trade deals. There’s a chart called Matt Kemp Salary Breakdown ($ Millions). It says that for 2019, $6 million of Kemp’s salary was being paid by sellers in previous trades (LA and SD).

Kemp’s net salary for 2019 is listed at $15.75 million.

This is before the Dodgers paid the Reds $7 million in cash in the Kemp trade, which off-sets some of Kemp’s salary.

Read it and judge for yourself. But it’s possible Kemp’s salary this year is much less onerous than believed. I don’t know all the details of the Reds’ trade or previous Kemp trades, so I can’t know for sure.

If he is cheaper, he’s easier to keep and easier to trade. Again, judge for yourself.
    I don’t think those cash payments follow the player. They simply are an agreement to pay team X $ amount every year. So the Reds owe Kemp $21.5M in 2019. The Dodgers sent $7M in cash as part of the trade that the Reds can do whatever they want with. It works to bring down Kemp’s salary from the Reds perspective, but if traded he is still owed the remainder of his $21.5M less whatever the reds kick in.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

22. Likes:

HammerTime (03-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I don’t think those cash payments follow the player. They simply are an agreement to pay team X $ amount every year. So the Reds owe Kemp $21.5M in 2019. The Dodgers sent $7M in cash as part of the trade that the Reds can do whatever they want with. It works to bring down Kemp’s salary from the Reds perspective, but if traded he is still owed the remainder of his $21.5M less whatever the reds kick in.
    I don’t know, Griff, but on the face of things I disagree in part.

The $7 million, yes, seems like an outright payment of cash. But given the nature of the trade, one can clearly attribute it to Kemp’s salary. Take your pick, it’s in the eyes of the beholder.

But the earlier trades, as I understand, contained specific amounts payable from LA and SD toward Kemp’s salary on an annual basis thru 2019. Those payments may well have carried through in subsequent trades of Kemp including to the Reds.

Without the contract language, and the specific trade terms, I can’t be sure.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-16-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Turn Off Ads?