Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Luis Castillo to Start 2019 Opening Day

Re: Luis Castillo to Start 2019 Opening Day

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I would have given it to Gray. He’s been a top of the rotation starter, the only guy on the staff who has.

I agree most casual fans don’t care, mostly because they don’t know who is even on the staff. But anyone paying attention should be shocked. Castillo is inexperienced, coming off a down year, and has struggled all spring. None of that says “opening day starter.” His only argument is that he was the best pitcher last season on a horrible Reds rotation.

That said, I don’t anyone is angry about it. Just shocked.
    He was 24th in the NL in ERA. Not great but pretty good and not a down year.He is a young pitcher who had a few bad months and a few good months like a lot of young pitchers. He has the stuff to be a #1. He was their best pitcher last year and expected to turn the corner this year. You reward him for this and show confidence. Why knowledgeable baseball fans would put so much stock into 8 innings of spring baseball makes no sense.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Senzling Hot View Post
    He was 24th in the NL in ERA. Not great but pretty good and not a down year.He is a young pitcher who had a few bad months and a few good months like a lot of young pitchers. He has the stuff to be a #1. He was their best pitcher last year and expected to turn the corner this year. You reward him for this and show confidence. Why knowledgeable baseball fans would put so much stock into 8 innings of spring baseball makes no sense.
    His ERA went up by a run and his FIP up by half a run. He had a down year.

I don’t think anyone is putting much stock into his eight innings of spring training, alone, but combined with his inexperience, and troubles last year, it’s a surprising decision.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I'm surprised but not outraged. Castillo was better last year than any of the guys they acquired. Gray and Disco are much bigger question marks. Roark is a career number 4 type. Wood might be a little better than Roark, but he's hurt and coming off a season where his fastball was down a couple MPH. If the OD starter is supposed to be the team's best pitcher, Castillo is probably the choice. I'd have gone with a hotter hand, but I get the reasoning for choosing Castillo.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (03-19-2019)

He's been awful. Beyond awful.

Weird choice.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Haunted by walks

It was him or Matt Harvey.

Homer Bailey was the OD starter last year. Raisel Iglesias started in 2016. Jimmy Haynes, Cory Lidle, Scott Feldman, Paul Wilson, and Joey Hamilton were recent Opening Day starters. So I’m ok with Castillo. He’s key to the future of the club.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

1thru5 (03-19-2019),757690 (03-19-2019),alwaysawarrior (03-20-2019),cumberlandreds (03-20-2019),Number_Fourteen (03-20-2019),OhioRiverBarge (03-20-2019),Ron Madden (03-19-2019)

Fun list to look at. Lots of expected names and a few “him?? really??” names.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...rting_pitchers
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

757690 (03-19-2019),Hoosier Red (03-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Fun list to look at. Lots of expected names and a few “him?? really??” names.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...rting_pitchers
    Mike Remlinger is the one that turned my head. I didn’t even remember that happening, lol.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Wasn't that when they traded Burba right before the season started?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

14. Likes:

757690 (03-19-2019),Chip R (03-20-2019),Hoosier Red (03-20-2019)

It was, back when Jimbo kept trying to turn relievers into starters with the expected disastrous results.
    Go Gators!

Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-20-2019 at 03:01 AM.

Maybe they want him to start a streak, he is the most likely to still be around here in 3-5 years.
    Go Gators!

Maybe they’re thinking the bullpen will be rested and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He will continue to struggle all spring long, then pitch a shutout on opening day.
    I was thinking no hitter but will settle for a shutout. Not a big deal. Its one game out of a 162. If he struggles much in the regular season he won't be in the rotation long anyway. But I suspect he will be just fine.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

No surprise here. He was my pick when we did the prediction thread some time ago. He earned it through last year's suffering.

Turn Off Ads?