Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Absolutely crazy idea.

Absolutely crazy idea.

It seems like whatever the Reds are doing isn't working. They will never have the big money for free agents like the Yankees and Dodgers but doing things the same old way isn't working. Players are just one part of a successful team. Scouting, coaching and management are just as important. Maybe the Reds a
    Should turn their attention to being absolutely the best player development organization in baseball. Hire the best coaches and scouts no matter what the cost. Field even more minor league teams. Never bring a player to the majors until he is well seasoned and terrorizing AAA. Bring these guys to the majors and let them play 3 years and then trade them off for the very best prospects another team has and the develop these players. Keep a few select players to provide leadership but basically always have a very young team of exceptional players with a small payroll. A salary like Bottom will hire several exceptional coaches.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Absolutely crazy idea.

Sounds like the Reds would be a glorified independent minor-league program.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Players >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> scouting, coaching and management.

Though it would be nice to have all 4.

5. Likes:

LexRedsFan (07-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    It seems like whatever the Reds are doing isn't working. They will never have the big money for free agents like the Yankees and Dodgers but doing things the same old way isn't working. Players are just one part of a successful team. Scouting, coaching and management are just as important. Maybe the Reds a
    Should turn their attention to being absolutely the best player development organization in baseball. Hire the best coaches and scouts no matter what the cost. Field even more minor league teams. Never bring a player to the majors until he is well seasoned and terrorizing AAA. Bring these guys to the majors and let them play 3 years and then trade them off for the very best prospects another team has and the develop these players. Keep a few select players to provide leadership but basically always have a very young team of exceptional players with a small payroll. A salary like Bottom will hire several exceptional coaches.
    I have always thought that the Reds player development is severely lacking. Why do they pick and rarely develop impact players. And don't tell me every teams fails in that. Look at the players the Dodgers, Red Sox, even the Rays, Marlins, etc have developed in house. And the pitching development is historically dismal.

Player development is also about who has the most money, or who blatantly cheats at it.
    Go Gators!

8. Likes:

Chip R (07-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    I have always thought that the Reds player development is severely lacking. Why do they pick and rarely develop impact players. And don't tell me every teams fails in that. Look at the players the Dodgers, Red Sox, even the Rays, Marlins, etc have developed in house. And the pitching development is historically dismal.
    I think the money they spend on FAs has a part to do with why their in-house players succeed. Many times over years past, when FA didn't exist and as it has existed but was a little less prevalent(it gets worse every year for small market teams to compete) the Reds could bring up a great prospect, let him succeed until he starts failing, send that player back to the minors for a long stint and bring him back and continue this process until the player gets it. The Reds have been forcing the issue by bringing them up, sometimes too early and not sending back to the minors when it's obvious they have hit a wall and need more development. When you can afford to wait for development, development will be better.

Player development is a total crap shoot. Its a recipe for being really bad for a really long time.

An absolutely crazy but better idea is having them move to Nashville.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-29-2019)

I've heard worse ideas. However you assume the Reds don't have the money for free agents like the Yankees and Dodgers. Remind me where Harper and Machado signed over the off season. You're also assuming that the Reds won't spend to get a major free agent. Maybe they will but those players don't want to come here for whatever reason. We don't know if the Reds are in the running for these free agents since the front office seems to be pretty tight lipped about things. I would also say that the Reds do indeed have enough money to sign a potential free agent. With their new TV deal and money from MLBAM and other sources, they have plenty to spend if they so choose. Maybe they don't have Yankees TV money but the Yankees haven't exactly been a player in free agency lately since they have relied on their farm system to bring players up or trade them for other players. Same with the Dodgers. The Dodgers didn't even re-sign Grandal last season. He went to the Brewers - another small market team.

The Reds can spend like a major league team and spend money on drafting and development. Those things aren't mutually exclusive. If you pare the payroll in half ticket proces aren't going to go down, beer and concession and parking prices won't go down and the owners are going to get to keep all the money they don't spend in development. I'm sure there are positions where you can "churn and burn" and that's not a bad idea. The Cardinals have seemed to have some success with that. But even if you develop these players and only call them up when they are excelling in AAA, they still may not be able to be a successful major league player. Plus these players are taking up 40 man roster spots that could be used for protecting younger players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-29-2019)

I think the Expos tried that....they're now the Nationals.

EDIT: However, improving the organization at the minor level will be important. Currently it seems to be equal opportunity losing at all levels!

15. Likes:

Chip R (07-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I think the Expos tried that....they're now the Nationals.
    I would say that Jeffrey Loria and Bud Selig had something to do with that.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

17. Likes:

Chip R (07-29-2019),Revering4Blue (07-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I would say that Jeffrey Loria and Bud Selig had something to do with that.
    And John Henry.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

19. Likes:

Big Klu (07-29-2019),Revering4Blue (07-29-2019)

Turn Off Ads?