Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Scooter might have just been hurt

Re: Scooter might have just been hurt

I agree that the best course of action would be to keep Senzel in CF. As mth123 said, within a few weeks he will be the best defensive CF, and could stick there long term. To me, the short sighted knee jerk reaction would be to move Senzel back to 2B and lose the whole reason he was sent to AAA in the first place: to get more comfortable with CF. Dietrich should be the primary replacement until Scooter returns.

As for the future of 2B, I don’t want to forget Jonathan India. By the middle of 2020, he might be ready to take over 2B.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wow, I just saw the coverage of Scooter's injury. If it's a groin, I would thnk that might put him on the shelf for quite a while and that complicates what in my opinion is the Reds' strategy of keeping him available to trade away this year. Don't get me wrong, he has been a phenomenal surprise for the team, but it seems to me they remain unconvinced that he's the guy they want at 2B long term.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Dr. Chao, former San Diego Chargers team doctor who has gained quite a following for his ability to diagnose an injury based strictly on video and his own experience (often with spot-on accuracy), posted this:

By video, right adductor groin strain/tear. Season not over but opening day is. April in doubt. Good chance for May.
    I'd take that right now....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

If it’s a long term injury (which I suspect it is), I hope it doesn’t turn out like a 2013 Ryan Ludwick injury where the Reds fill the gap with below average players.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Should know something in 15 minutes when Williams meets with media

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    If it’s a long term injury (which I suspect it is), I hope it doesn’t turn out like a 2013 Ryan Ludwick injury where the Reds fill the gap with below average players.
    I think Deitrich will be fine if he needs to be long term. Just another reason this was a great signing , and why to many good solid players is never a bad thing. I hope it is nothing serious, but it seems he will be out an extended time. Sucks for Scooter and the Reds, but Deitrich will put up close to similar numbers I suspect.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm pretty much all in on Senzel in CF at least for the next couple of years. I think Dietrich as the primary 2B will be fine. I'd platoon Farmer with him (and I could see Farmer winning the job at some point). I'd also be for Iglesias to SS with Peraza moving to 2B. Every year there are starting caliber 2B on the market for cheap. CF, not so much. No need to move Senzel back there IMO. Scooter will be back and next year when he walks, Dietrich will still be under control. If he proves to be a bust, the plethora of Brian Doziers, Starlin Castros, Jonathon Schoops, Neil Walkers and Josh Harrisons (as well as Scooter) will be out there and available all over again. These days, when guys who can hit a little and aren't that good defensively because they can get by on shifts and positioning, make up over half the starting 2B jobs in the big leagues, 2B is the easiest position on the diamond to fill. I kind of think a guy of Senzel's caliber is wasted there.

As for an emergency OF option, Cameron Maybin was just released by the Giants. A DUI had a lot to do with it, but an opportunistic minor league deal would make sense IMO.
    I wouldn’t mind taking Maybin on a minor league deal.

Dietrich is too much of a butcher in the field for me to want to play him regularly at second though. Not that Scooter is a gold glover, but even he is better out there than Dietrich appears to be.

As for Iglesias at SS, I guess it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. But then the lineup has really only kind of done a lateral move from having Billy in CF to Iglesias at short given that he doesn’t seem to do much with the bat.

Right groin strain, and he's out 8 - 12 weeks.

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds

Scooter Gennett suffered a right groin strain during Friday's spring training game. He is expected to miss 8-12 weeks. #Reds
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

right groin strain, out 8-12 weeks

I wonder if that includes rehab time.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Senzel will be our 2b starter come 4/16ish....

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

So the Reds can give Senzel starts for two weeks at second base and then bring him up to play second base every day unless Schebler suffers a major injury as well.

If everything goes great Scooter could be back by around May 23. Probably more realistic is around June 1. It does put the Reds in an awkward spot. It's just long enough that you consider Senzel at 2nd, but not sure it's long enough to totally abandon CF.

16. Likes:

Red Raindog (03-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsville View Post
    Senzel will be our 2b starter come 4/16ish....
    I would be shocked if this happened and this would be very short sighted. They moved him to cf for a reason, I just don't see this as last years short lived ss situation.

Turn Off Ads?