Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2019 In-season Thread for What You Are Happy About with Regard to the Reds

Re: 2019 In-season Thread for What You Are Happy About with Regard to the Reds

Nick Senzel is legit - that makes me happy.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Likes:

bagz (05-26-2019),GAC (05-26-2019),Ron Madden (05-22-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Nick Senzel is legit - that makes me happy.
    Dude plays like he's been in the bigs for a decade. It's remarkable.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

bagz (05-26-2019),membengal (05-22-2019),Red Raindog (05-25-2019),Ron Madden (05-22-2019)

The Reds just played their last 8 games against 3 of the best teams in the National League.

They went 4-4 in those 8 games.

How many teams have played .500 against 3 of the best teams in their league?

I can live with that.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-22-2019 at 07:29 PM.

7. Likes:

GAC (05-26-2019),membengal (05-22-2019)

I am really happy about Senzel’s first 90 at-bats and the power he has shown.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

9. Likes:

Red Raindog (05-25-2019)

I’m happy to feel we have a legitimate chance to win every game.

I haven’t looked at one game this season and thought to myself boy we don’t stand a chance today

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I’m happy to feel we have a legitimate chance to win every game.

I haven’t looked at one game this season and thought to myself boy we don’t stand a chance today
    I did not get a chance to see yesterday's game. My wife insisted she take me out for my B-day dinner. I wanted to tell her, since it was my B-day, let me relax here and watch the game - and you make me something to eat. But I didn't go there (LOL).

But I wanted to touch on what you state above, and how important this is - and - how it differs from the teams of the last few seasons. I heard a lot of fans, and early too (which is unwise IMO) already writing this team off, same-o, same-o loser Reds (from FO down). And it's not that they don't have some justification to be skeptical, looking at these last place finishes during a "rebuild". And then there was the offense's slow/erratic early season blues here in '19.

But here's the difference..... https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-h...defeat-to-cubs

Not the recent Reds

Players and fans certainly don’t like the Reds’ 23-28 record that has them in last place among National League Central clubs. But no one can deny the club’s effort, as Bell’s players have been in almost every game this season.

On Friday, the Reds trailed 4-0 in the fourth inning, and 5-4 in the ninth, and came away with the 6-5 win. On Saturday, Chicago had a 5-2 lead after the fourth.

“Right to the very end there, you feel like you have a good shot because they continue to compete,” Bell said. “When it comes down to one at-bat, guys are locked into doing everything they can to win a game. That’s all you can do. I’m very happy with all that. There’s no question about the effort or anything. They’re competing and doing what it takes to have chances to win games, and also win games like yesterday.”

The largest margin of defeat for the Reds this season was a 6-0 loss to the Dodgers on May 17, one of only four games lost by five or more runs. There have also been 13 one-run losses and the club’s overall run differential is +24.

Last season, the 67-95 Reds lost about a third of their games by five or more runs (32) and eight games by eight or more runs. Their run differential was minus-123.
    Yeah, the one run losses hurt. Would it be less painful if, like previous years, the team was out of it early, like say the 5th inning? How do you mount a comeback - and it didn't matter who was on the mound (starter, BP) - when the other team is still scoring? Don't you have to stop the "hemorrhaging" first? LOL

I'm sorry. I'm obviously watching the W-L column; but with me it's not on the same level of importance in '19 as other things I'm watching - which has more with development (progress) of youth, and putting the finishing pieces together.

I'm enjoying watching this ball club. Pure and simple. It does fight till the last out and, yes, the effort is there.

This team was shook-up in the off-season from our managerial staff down to the pitching staff and position players. Understandable the optimism was high going into this season. Lets not take our eyes off the prize as we watch this team progress, and for once, in the right direction.

And I say the same for David Bell too. Has some managerial experience in the minors with the Reds; but this is his first gig as a manager at this level. I like his attitude and energy. Yeah, he's made some questionable decisions, etc in his first year. He's learning, trying to get comfortable too. For years fans complained about this organization being behind the ball, ignoring saber-metrics (analytics). OK. We now have it being instituted in the FO, down to the managers/coaches. Give it some time. It's not an over-night thingy. IMO, there are always some "intangibles" at work. And one of those, IMO, is environment ... letting this team, from managerial staff to the players, getting comfortable within this "system", and with each other, and playing together as a team (unit). Some may discount that, but I don't.

It's one thing to know analytics, do the research on the opposition, have it all there at your disposal. Quite different though when it comes to the decision-making process and the application aspect of How and When. That's the difference, IMO, between a good and bad manager. And I can't make that determination on Bell at this stage. I don't think it's being fair.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-26-2019 at 06:05 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

12. Likes:

bagz (05-26-2019),RedlegJake (05-28-2019),Ron Madden (05-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I did not get a chance to see yesterday's game. My wife insisted she take me out for my B-day dinner. I wanted to tell her, since it was my B-day, let me relax here and watch the game - and you make me something to eat. But I didn't go there (LOL).

But I wanted to touch on what you state above, and how important this is - and - how it differs from the teams of the last few seasons. I heard a lot of fans, and early too (which is unwise IMO) already writing this team off, same-o, same-o loser Reds (from FO down). And it's not that they don't have some justification to be skeptical, looking at these last place finishes during a "rebuild". And then there was the offense's slow/erratic early season blues here in '19.

But here's the difference..... https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-h...defeat-to-cubs

Yeah, the one run losses hurt. Would it be less painful if, like previous years, the team was out of it early, like say the 5th inning? How do you mount a comeback - and it didn't matter who was on the mound (starter, BP) - when the other team is still scoring? Don't you have to stop the "hemorrhaging" first? LOL

I'm sorry. I'm obviously watching the W-L column; but with me it's not on the same level of importance in '19 as other things I'm watching - which has more with development (progress) of youth, and putting the finishing pieces together.

I'm enjoying watching this ball club. Pure and simple. It does fight till the last out and, yes, the effort is there.

This team was shook-up in the off-season from our managerial staff down to the pitching staff and position players. Understandable the optimism was high going into this season. Lets not take our eyes off the prize as we watch this team progress, and for once, in the right direction.

And I say the same for David Bell too. Has some managerial experience in the minors with the Reds; but this is his first gig as a manager at this level. I like his attitude and energy. Yeah, he's made some questionable decisions, etc in his first year. He's learning, trying to get comfortable too. For years fans complained about this organization being behind the ball, ignoring saber-metrics (analytics). OK. We now have it being instituted in the FO, down to the managers/coaches. Give it some time. It's not an over-night thingy. IMO, there are always some "intangibles" at work. And one of those, IMO, is environment ... letting this team, from managerial staff to the players, getting comfortable within this "system", and with each other, and playing together as a team (unit). Some may discount that, but I don't.

It's one thing to know analytics, do the research on the opposition, have it all there at your disposal. Quite different though when it comes to the decision-making process and the application aspect of How and When. That's the difference, IMO, between a good and bad manager. And I can't make that determination on Bell at this stage. I don't think it's being fair.
    You had your birthday dinner at 2:00 in the afternoon? What time were you due back at the old folks' home?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

14. Likes:

bagz (05-26-2019),RedlegJake (05-28-2019),Ron Madden (05-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    You had your birthday dinner at 2:00 in the afternoon? What time were you due back at the old folks' home?
    You keep that *** up and I'll take this bad leg off and wear you out with it! LOL

I'm a seafood lover, while my wife is not. And here in central Ohio - unless you're catching it in a pond somewhere (love catfish) - Red Lobster is about as close as one is going to get! So even then I wasn't going to pass the opportunity up. Though I've been wanting to try the Fish Market in Columbus. Heard a lot of good things about it.

I also thought I'd be able to watch parts of the game at RL. It ain't Texas Roadhouse! There were no TVs! Damn Italians! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

16. Likes:

Big Klu (05-26-2019),Ron Madden (05-26-2019)

Interesting fact ...the Reds have yet to win a game on a Sunday this year! Kinda gives new meaning to "on the 7th day you rest" (LOL)

I’m happy because they’ve given me legit reason to hope and look forward to their games again. Today feels like a big day. I woke up actually anticipating the day of reds baseball. For the first time in years I wish I lived close enough to go. To both games.

19. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (05-27-2019),RiverRat13 (05-27-2019),Ron Madden (05-27-2019)

When you're relaxing on the bed watching the game, and having to go REALLY BAD, but absolutely refuse to get until a commercial for fear you'll miss something ... that'as a true fan!

For the last few years, when it came to these Red's team, I didn't give a **** ... now I'm holding them! Tell me this team isn't getting better! LOL

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    When you're relaxing on the bed watching the game, and having to go REALLY BAD, but absolutely refuse to get until a commercial for fear you'll miss something ... that'as a true fan!

For the last few years, when it came to these Red's team, I didn't give a **** ... now I'm holding them! Tell me this team isn't getting better! LOL
    We don't really ask for much as life long fans. Just give us team with a fighting chance each night.

It really doesn't take much to get us hooked again.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

23. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-28-2019),dfs (05-29-2019),fondfoat (06-21-2019),GAC (05-29-2019),Mitri (06-01-2019),Revering4Blue (05-30-2019),Ron Madden (05-28-2019)

It's almost the end of May and the Reds still have allowed the fewest runs in the NL...that's frankly unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    It's almost the end of May and the Reds still have allowed the fewest runs in the NL...that's frankly unbelievable.
    And the least HRs, which is totally nuts.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

26. Likes:

CaiGuy (05-28-2019),fondfoat (06-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    And the least HRs, which is totally nuts.
    Derek Johnson is worth is weight in gold!!
    Crazy Reds Fan

28. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-28-2019),Tom Servo (05-28-2019)

Turn Off Ads?