Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: BILLY HAMILTON

Re: BILLY HAMILTON

I can never forgive him for never learning how to at least - BUNT the damn ball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Timpiker View Post
    I can never forgive him for never learning how to at least - BUNT the damn ball.
    A hitter like Hamilton needed to put the ball in play, slap hit, bunt, hit grounders, use his speed. Last year Billy had a 23.7% K rate and lifetime it was over 20%. That was never going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Timpiker View Post
    I don't think the issue was him not learning to bunt. The truth is that opposing teams took the bunt away from him. Gotta give other teams credit. They scouted Billy's game and starting 3B in this league are very talented. They're very capable of barehanding a ball and throwing to first. Opposing teams dared Billy to smack it past their 3B.

5. Likes:

Chip R (04-15-2019),HammerTime (06-19-2019),malcontent (06-19-2019),Ron Madden (06-19-2019)

.22/.299./.278 (3rd lowest SLG Min 150 at bats) OPS+ 57

Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    .22/.299./.278 (3rd lowest SLG Min 150 at bats) OPS+ 57

Yikes!
    Would fit right in on this team

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Would fit right in on this team
    He’s actually doing what he always does, provide elite defense and speed and terrible hitting. But that combo has made him around a league average CF, which is what fWAR says he is right now, even with that horrible batting line.

So, he actually would be a welcome addition to this current Reds team, they could use a true CF to backup Senzel and come in for late inning defense for Winker.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

9. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-20-2019)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He’s actually doing what he always does, provide elite defense and speed and terrible hitting. But that combo has made him around a league average CF, which is what fWAR says he is right now, even with that horrible batting line.

So, he actually would be a welcome addition to this current Reds team, they could use a true CF to backup Senzel and come in for late inning defense for Winker.
    With lots of teams carrying 13 pitchers, there is only room for 4 spares on some team.

One is the backup catcher, one is the back up MI, and them you tend to have a guy who can maybe play 1B and 3B and a spare OF or 2. There isn't much room for a poor hitting OF, since the backup catcher and MI aren't usually very good hitters.

On the Reds, they have Barnhart, Perraza, Farmer and Ervin right now. You drop Ervin for Hamilton and the PH takes a huge hit. We are currently at 12 pitchers, so have Van Meter also. I doubt even a cheap Hamilton makes the Reds team.

11. Likes:

OGB (06-20-2019),Sea Ray (06-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    With lots of teams carrying 13 pitchers, there is only room for 4 spares on some team.

One is the backup catcher, one is the back up MI, and them you tend to have a guy who can maybe play 1B and 3B and a spare OF or 2. There isn't much room for a poor hitting OF, since the backup catcher and MI aren't usually very good hitters.

On the Reds, they have Barnhart, Perraza, Farmer and Ervin right now. You drop Ervin for Hamilton and the PH takes a huge hit. We are currently at 12 pitchers, so have Van Meter also. I doubt even a cheap Hamilton makes the Reds team.
    Good points, but I have never been a fan of the 137 man bullpen. I think having a true CF and not having your backup CF be a relief pitcher, adds more value than whoever that last guy in the pen is.

13. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-20-2019)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Good point. Sounds like we need a 26-man roster. It actually makes the game more interesting to have more players.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

That skillset has him trending towards being a 1 win player per 500 plate appearances... he's a below average player, that resides on the bench.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

16. Likes:

OGB (06-20-2019),Ron Madden (06-19-2019),Tom Servo (06-19-2019)

Hamilton has only put up two seasons where one could argue he was league average or above. He's currently working on his third season in a row of being significantly below league average. The dude has been a starter primarily because of the teams he's played on (averaging 24 games below .500 as a Red while his current team is already 23 games below water) rather than because of his true talent.

Not sure where this idea that he's trending toward league average is coming from.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    That skillset has him trending towards being a 1 win player per 500 plate appearances... he's a below average player, that resides on the bench.
    First, I’m advocating for him to be in the bench.

Second, a 500 PA player usually not a starter. A starter gets 650-700 PA’s a season, so his fWAR projects him to be around a 1.5-2 win player if he played regularly, which is right around league average. And that’s with a terrible batting line.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Hamilton has only put up two seasons where one could argue he was league average or above. He's currently working on his third season in a row of being significantly below league average. The dude has been a starter primarily because of the teams he's played on (averaging 24 games below .500 as a Red while his current team is already 23 games below water) rather than because of his true talent.

Not sure where this idea that he's trending toward league average is coming from.
    Hamilton has average over 2 fWAR per 150 games over his career.

Scooter Gennett is near ready. Add one position player to the roster.

So then presumably Ervin goes down. The four man bench would then be Casali, Farmer, Dietrich and Peraza.

There is no room for Billy Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Scooter Gennett is near ready. Add one position player to the roster.

So then presumably Ervin goes down. The four man bench would then be Casali, Farmer, Dietrich and Peraza.

There is no room for Billy Hamilton.
    Who among them would warrant demotion in favor of Hamilton? Nobody..period.

Turn Off Ads?