Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: One Realistic Move

Re: One Realistic Move

Nothing fatalistic about it. I'm just not holding my breath waiting for the return of Alex Wood. MTH raised the issue of Wood. My question was about how long you continue to go with DeSclafani. If he's not better in the next couple starts, a "realistic move" would be to put somebody else in the rotation. Who might that be?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    What does this mean? You obviously never know for sure with injuries but I don't get this fatalistic attitude regarding Wood. He had back spasms, it's not like his elbow is a mess or anything.
    little known fact about Alex Wood, but his elbow is located in his back.

4. Likes:

OGB (04-15-2019),Tom Servo (04-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    What does this mean? You obviously never know for sure with injuries but I don't get this fatalistic attitude regarding Wood. He had back spasms, it's not like his elbow is a mess or anything.
    Are you sure, though? Wood’s arm may have fallen off.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-14-2019)

Personally, I think Stephenson's issues are in his head. I don't think he has confidence in his stuff and lacks aggressiveness.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Nothing fatalistic about it. I'm just not holding my breath waiting for the return of Alex Wood. MTH raised the issue of Wood. My question was about how long you continue to go with DeSclafani. If he's not better in the next couple starts, a "realistic move" would be to put somebody else in the rotation. Who might that be?
    Don't get me wrong. I feel like Disco is a huge question mark. He's not really been the guy everyone thinks he is since he hurt his elbow. Given the relatively short term nature of Disco's Reds future, I think I'd keep Mahle in there for sure over him, but I'm less confident in Stephenson out there. He seems to be thriving in the bullpen right now. He benefits from not having to go through a line-up multiple times. Making hitters chase works better when you don't need to worry about a pitch count. As a starter, that kind of stuff ends up with a lot of walks, high pitch counts and short outings. In relief, he can just air it out, throw his breaking ball and he doesn't necessarily have to get it over as much. I just wouldn't mess with Stephenson right now. If I had to move Disco out before Mahle returns, I'd probably all-up Vlad or Sims from AAA.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I feel like Disco is a huge question mark. He's not really been the guy everyone thinks he is since he hurt his elbow. Given the relatively short term nature of Disco's Reds future, I think I'd keep Mahle in there for sure over him, but I'm less confident in Stephenson out there. He seems to be thriving in the bullpen right now. He benefits from not having to go through a line-up multiple times. Making hitters chase works better when you don't need to worry about a pitch count. As a starter, that kind of stuff ends up with a lot of walks, high pitch counts and short outings. In relief, he can just air it out, throw his breaking ball and he doesn't necessarily have to get it over as much. I just wouldn't mess with Stephenson right now. If I had to move Disco out before Mahle returns, I'd probably all-up Vlad or Sims from AAA.
    Agree. Disco has earned a few more starts, IMO, and maybe Wood will be available to replace him if that's the call (I'm assuming Mahle is in rotation--developing Mahle this whole season should be a priority). And Stephenson needs to be handled extremely carefully right now for sure. I don't think Vlad's going to be ready that soon. I'm very hopeful about Sims and have him pencilled in in my personal rotation but not till after the trade deadline. We're in that difficult "in-between" decision-making situation again caused by acquiring just enough upgrade over the winter to make for some hopefulness. This next killer part of the schedule should clarify a lot of things.

If Wood takes longer and Disco stinks it up again, I agree that Sims is next in line. Not a bad guy to have 7th in the pecking order. I would let Vlad work in AAA for much of the season.

But if Wood comes back healthy this rotation could be very good. And Senzel should provide a solid baseline bat while improving the defense.

It's the bullpen that needs outside assistance. Replace Zach Duke with Will Smith. Smith brings a hammer to the top of the bullpen, rather than patching below with help form AAA.

11. Likes:

HokieRed (04-15-2019),mth123 (04-15-2019)

I’d seriously look into Kimbrel. This pen scares me to death. Having Iglesias in the 7th and 8th gives this team a huge boost. Look at yesterday’s game for example.

13. Likes:

klw (04-15-2019),Mitri (04-15-2019),OGB (04-15-2019),Tom Servo (04-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    If Wood takes longer and Disco stinks it up again, I agree that Sims is next in line. Not a bad guy to have 7th in the pecking order. I would let Vlad work in AAA for much of the season.

But if Wood comes back healthy this rotation could be very good. And Senzel should provide a solid baseline bat while improving the defense.

It's the bullpen that needs outside assistance. Replace Zach Duke with Will Smith. Smith brings a hammer to the top of the bullpen, rather than patching below with help form AAA.
    Timing is important for Alex Wood. As a FA he could be trade bait in July. He's missing at least April, how much time will Alex actually spend in the Reds' rotation?

If it takes him longer to get ready, he may have a very short stay, mostly to shine him up for a trade.

If Reds are in contention, then he'll likely have a longer stay, until the end of the season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-15-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Timing is important for Alex Wood. As a FA he could be trade bait in July. How much time will he actually spend in the Reds' rotation?
    I don't think the Reds are currently worried too much about that. They want to win, Wood getting back and healthy will give them a better chance.

If he pitches well and the Reds are sellers, maybe they get a Jeter Downs-type prospect back to recoup. But this FO expects to be in the playoff race, which would be much more valuable to this franchise than a B prospect or two.

I wouldn't count on them to be premature sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I don't think the Reds are currently worried too much about that. They want to win, Wood getting back and healthy will give them a better chance.

If he pitches well and the Reds are sellers, maybe they get a Jeter Downs-type prospect back to recoup. But this FO expects to be in the playoff race, which would be much more valuable to this franchise than a B prospect or two.

I wouldn't count on them to be premature sellers.
    Reds may not be worried about it, but it may be the outcome.

When a club acquires a one-year player, injury absences can shorten the stay (on the active roster) to a few months or sometimes even less.

In this case, the trade was necessary anyway, but with a July 31 firm trade deadline time is passing for Wood to make a significant impact as a Red. Yes, if they are in contention he'll likely stay all season, but can't count on that. In any event, hope he gets back sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-15-2019 at 09:52 AM.

In retrospect it's too bad the Reds didn't trade Disco in the Dodgers trade. It's not that I think we would have gotten a Kershaw type pitcher in return, but we wouldn't have the almost automatic loss every time Disco starts. He doesn't have the same great, built-in excuse Homer had. He's got a side to side fastball. Plenty of movement, but it's all horizontal..
    OK, perhaps I'm just too impatient with him, but so far if you look up the word inconsistent in the dictionary there's a picture of Disco right beside it.. I'm so ready for them to move on from him...

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    In retrospect it's too bad the Reds didn't trade Disco in the Dodgers trade. It's not that I think we would have gotten a Kershaw type pitcher in return, but we wouldn't have the almost automatic loss every time Disco starts. He doesn't have the same great, built-in excuse Homer had. He's got a side to side fastball. Plenty of movement, but it's all horizontal..
    OK, perhaps I'm just too impatient with him, but so far if you look up the word inconsistent in the dictionary there's a picture of Disco right beside it.. I'm so ready for them to move on from him...
    The question is really one of patience. Maybe Disco can return to pre-injury form, but are the Reds willing to give him the time to do so?

He was excellent in one stretch last year, but overall hasn't returned to the consistent form of the "old" Disco.

So Reds have to decide how much rope they want to give him under the circumstances. The first hurdle will be when Alex Wood returns, will Disco remain, will Mahle be sent down, or some other solution to make room?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

We finally found a role in which Bobby Steve seems to excel and we're talking about putting him back in a role which led to the following outcomes:

fail, fail, fail, fail, epic fail, fail, epic fail, fail, fail.

Why?
    I'm just going to go find a cash machine.

20. Likes:

CaiGuy (04-15-2019),Crumbley (04-15-2019),Griffey012 (04-15-2019),Kirito-Sama (04-15-2019)

Because he might just have figured out how to pitch? There's no guarantee he'll fail as a starter just as there's no guarantee he'll continue to succeed as a bullpen arm.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not a generally patient person which is probably why it would be a bad idea to hire me to manage a team..

Turn Off Ads?