Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Senzel Ramping Up Baseball Activities

Senzel Ramping Up Baseball Activities

After he shed a protective boot last week, Senzel has resumed several baseball activities.

“Nick has been throwing long toss, has begun running on the field, hitting off a tee, completing lower body lifts and is working on change of direction in the pool,” Reds president of baseball operations Dick Williams said on Wednesday. “We anticipate live at-bats [Thursday]. We are pleased with the progress.”

Once healthy, Senzel is expected to play at Triple-A Louisville to continue gaining experience in center field until he’s ready for his first big league callup.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/nick-s...njury-recovery
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-10-2019 at 10:33 PM.

2. Likes:

Alabama (04-11-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Senzel Ramping Up Baseball Activities

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Once healthy, Senzel is expected to play at Triple-A Louisville to continue gaining experience in center field until he’s ready for his first big league callup.
    That should be about a week at most, in my opinion. Get some swings and innings in center in, and call him up and make him the Reds centerfielder.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

5. Likes:

757690 (04-11-2019),Alabama (04-11-2019),cumberlandreds (04-11-2019),Kirito-Sama (04-11-2019),marcshoe (04-10-2019),mth123 (04-11-2019),NC Reds (04-11-2019),NebraskaRed (04-11-2019),OGB (04-10-2019),OhioRiverBarge (04-10-2019),Rojo Rijo (04-11-2019),Ron Madden (04-10-2019),Spider Tre (04-26-2019),Tuff Nut (04-11-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Glad he’s figured out how to swim in different directions. It really adds a whole new layer of complexity to the workout and makes it a lot more enjoyable.
    I'm just going to go find a cash machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That should be about a week at most, in my opinion. Get some swings and innings in center in, and call him up and make him the Reds centerfielder.
    I do not get the fans wanting to rush the great white hope to the majors. Can he at least prove he can play center and that he is up to speed hitting wise.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I do not get the fans wanting to rush the great white hope to the majors. Can he at least prove he can play center and that he is up to speed hitting wise.
    We're past that. Once the kid looks comfortable he's coming up.

I think the CF thing is overblown, and he got in plenty of cuts in ST. Give him a week or two in Louisville and then its time.

9. Likes:

Alabama (04-11-2019),HammerTime (04-11-2019),mth123 (04-11-2019),Ron Madden (04-11-2019),Tuff Nut (04-11-2019)

Asuna's Husband

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Give him the job immediately and make it known that Schebler is now a backup.

Kemp can be released.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    We're past that. Once the kid looks comfortable he's coming up.

I think the CF thing is overblown, and he got in plenty of cuts in ST. Give him a week or two in Louisville and then its time.
    Seriously, they're playing Scott Schebler and Jesse Winker in CF right now. I doubt he'll be worse defensively than that duo.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I agree. At least find out if the guy knows where CF is before you anoint him as Savior of the franchise.

If we are brutally honest, Senzel really didn't get that many game innings in CF in spring training. While he probably got a lot of reps in CF during workouts, I really want to see him play CF for a total of 10-12 games under the lights. He would probably be OK for daytime games, but he did not get many night innings in CF during spring training.

And I would like to see where he is with the bat.
    I walk into the clubhouse today and its like walking into the Mayo Clinic. We have four doctors, three therapists and five trainers. Back when I broke in, we had one trainer who carried a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and by the 7th inning hed already drunk it. Tommy Lasorda

Asuna's Husband

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I agree. At least find out if the guy knows where CF is before you anoint him as Savior of the franchise.

If we are brutally honest, Senzel really didn't get that many game innings in CF in spring training. While he probably got a lot of reps in CF during workouts, I really want to see him play CF for a total of 10-12 games under the lights. He would probably be OK for daytime games, but he did not get many night innings in CF during spring training.

Dude can hit. Next.

It would be good for the Reds to add some speed to the OF before when they hit SD next week.

Not sure if Senzel can make it back by then, and not vouching for his CF play, but it couldn't hurt in that ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It would be good for the Reds to add some speed to the OF before when they hit SD next week.

Not sure if Senzel can make it back by then, and not vouching for his CF play, but it couldn't hurt in that ballpark.
    That would be nice but it looks improbable. I would be happy to see him back for that Braves series starting the 23rd.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post

Because, if you look around baseball guys like Tatis Jr. and Francisco Mejia and Acuna and the list is rally starting to grow now... the paralysis by analysis approach by this franchise is from Medieval times. There used to be an arrogance that held some of these kids back behind 37-38 yo position players that probably had more to do with the player's union than what is best for the team. Especially kids from a good college program like Senzel, these guys are READY TO GO! Quit big leaguing Nick Senzel and making excuses for why he is not up here and get on with it. This franchise needs him even more than he needs the franchise. "Like Oxygen", as Joe Maddon would say...

16. Likes:

membengal (04-11-2019)

Get him healthy, let him play a two series with Louisville then bring him on up.

Also, I think o may have found a really good comp for him, Jeff Cirrillo, but with a little more power and a lot more speed. That is a great player there.

Boy, he better be the goods or people are going to be out of their minds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

19. Likes:

bradmanuel (04-14-2019),cumberlandreds (04-11-2019),Tony Cloninger (04-11-2019),WrongVerb (04-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Boy, he better be the goods or people are going to be out of their minds.
    He'll struggle for a time like almost everyone who gets promoted to the majors. I suspect there will be much gnashing of teeth here when that happens, though.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    He'll struggle for a time like almost everyone who gets promoted to the majors. I suspect there will be much gnashing of teeth here when that happens, though.
    Sometimes its the exact opposite (Jay Bruce). It can work in the hitters favor that the opposition has no knowledge of any potential flaws the hitter may have in their approach/swing.

Turn Off Ads?