Turn Off Ads?
Page 60 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2018-19, Part IV: Pete and Threepeat are sitting on a fence

Re: NBA 2018-19, Part IV: Pete and Threepeat are sitting on a fence

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    What’s worse is I think Toronto’s fans will probably light a fire under the Warriors and will drive them the rest of the series. No better motivation than celebrating on an opposing teams home floor.
    Being down 3 games to 1 I would hope the motivation of not losing another game is already strong enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-11-2019),Revering4Blue (06-13-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

ESPN2 had a live mock draft at 8:00 p.m. tonight of which Woj was present and he had a lot to share, apparently. I didn't see it, but his quotes are trending all over the place in various articles. Here's some takes via Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski mentioned the Lakers, Knicks and Mavericks as the three teams most likely to pursue Kemba Walker in free agency.

The Hornets are still the favorite to keep Walker, as the point guard said back in early June that re-signing with the team is his "first priority." The Hornets also have a huge advantage over other teams, as they have the ability to offer him a five-year, $221 million deal -- rival teams can only offer four-year deals worth up to $140 million. If the Hornets end up losing their franchise player, they will have no choice but to rebuild from the ground up.

The Jazz, Pacers and Celtics are all interested in trading for Mike Conley according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Celtics should have an asterisk by their name, as Conley is Plan B in case Kyrie Irving bolts in free agency. It's clear that Conley's market is still very strong, and previous reports have mentioned the Heat, Mavericks and Suns as potential suitors as well. While a Conley trade could go down during the NBA Draft, it's also possible the Grizzlies hold onto him a bit longer to be a mentor for presumed No. 2 pick Ja Morant.

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski said the Lakers will be "in trouble" if they keep the No. 4 pick.

In other words, Woj is saying that would mean they failed to trade for Anthony Davis. The Brow put both the Knicks and Lakers on his wish list, so the Lakers will be scrambling to put together a trade package which will have to include the No. 4 pick and some of their young talent. If the Lakers fail to acquire Davis, they could be in for another long season with Woj adding that they are not a frontrunner or in consideration for any of the elite free agents.

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski said the Pacers want to bring back Bojan Bogdanovic in free agency.

They would be crazy not to after the season Bogdanovic just had. Not only did he put up a career-high 18.0 points with 4.1 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 2.0 triples, but he also shot a shade under 50 percent from the field and 42.5% from 3-point range. There will be a strong market for the 30-year-old wing, so the Pacers will have their work cut out for them to keep him in Indiana.

The Pacers are interested in bringing back Thaddeus Young for the "right price" according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

It's shaping up to be a busy summer for the Pacers with the franchise linked to Mike Conley while also hoping to bring back their top free agents in Young, Bojan Bogdanovic and Darren Collison. Young will be 31 later this month, but still has a lot left in the tank based on what he showed last season. The defensive-minded four should have no shortage of suitors.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The most interesting one there to me would be if Utah could pull off a trade for Conley. Everyone but Mitchell and Gobert should be available for that move and those three could be built around quickly. Snyder would make whatever role pieces are added work.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The most interesting one there to me would be if Utah could pull off a trade for Conley. Everyone but Mitchell and Gobert should be available for that move and those three could be built around quickly. Snyder would make whatever role pieces are added work.
    The only real way for it to work is the Jazz pick up Favors option and then trade him along with the #23 pick and like Grayson Allen. It's not a bad trade, but I bet someone will beat that.

7. Likes:

M2 (06-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The only real way for it to work is the Jazz pick up Favors option and then trade him along with the #23 pick and like Grayson Allen. It's not a bad trade, but I bet someone will beat that.
    Or maybe the Grizz love Dante Exum way more than they should. For a really good team, the Jazz don't have much to trade.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Or maybe the Grizz love Dante Exum way more than they should. For a really good team, the Jazz don't have much to trade.
    Yeah they needed to be more aggressive with Rubio as an expiring and probably Favors too last season. That’s why I’m not super optimistic about Memphis biting on the Jazz offer now, because it’s basically the same as it was at the trade deadline.

So, Memphis is waiting to see if Valanciunas picks up his player option of $17.6M by his deadline of Thursday.

Anyway, there could be a 24-hour watch here in place to see if Conley/Valanciunas rumors heat up.

I would love to see Valanciunas opt in and traded to Portland for Evan Turner and Portland's 1st Rd pick and/or Gary Trent. There's no way we are going to be able to sign Kanter unless he signs really cheaply (like for 1yr @ $5M), and that probably isn't going to happen.

This would benefit Valanciunas the most. He avoids going up against this year's Free Agent Centers (Lopez's, Vucevic, Cousins, etc.) and builds his resume with Starter's minutes with Portland and then a deep playoff run with Portland splitting minutes with Nurkic versus getting backup minutes in Memphis on a rebuilding team that misses the playoffs again. Valanciunas should get a bigger payday next Summer at age 28 then he would get this Summer against a huge Free Agent Center pool.

Memphis is screwed next year no matter what because they are the last team to hold the Chandler Parsons hot potato. Whether Memphis carries Valanciunas' $17.6M or Turner's $17.6M, it doesn't matter, but if they can get Trent, Jr. or a Portland 1st Rd pick (2020 or 2021), that would be a great return for basically nothing (Valanciunas opts out Thursday and they get nothing). They could see Valanciunas in their long-term plans, but even if they did, then why not add the asset of Trent, Jr or another 1st Rd pick (they have been giving a lot of them away lately trying to re-tool/rebuild with undrafted Free Agents and 2nd Rd picks, while being extremely lucky in the draft lotteries...they have to give Boston a 1st Rd pick still), and then sign him themselves in the Free Agent market of 2020 (or go another route with the cap money they will have).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-12-2019 at 06:34 AM.

11. Likes:

M2 (06-12-2019)

So, Memphis is waiting to see if Valanciunas picks up his player option of $17.6M by his deadline of Thursday.

Anyway, there could be a 24-hour watch here in place to see if Conley/Valanciunas rumors heat up.

I would love to see Valanciunas opt in and traded to Portland for Evan Turner and Portland's 1st Rd pick and/or Gary Trent. There's no way we are going to be able to sign Kanter unless he signs really cheaply (like for 1yr @ $5M), and that probably isn't going to happen.

This would benefit Valanciunas the most. He avoids going up against this year's Free Agent Centers (Lopez's, Vucevic, Cousins, etc.) and builds his resume with Starter's minutes with Portland and then a deep playoff run with Portland splitting minutes with Nurkic versus getting backup minutes in Memphis on a rebuilding team that misses the playoffs again. Valanciunas should get a bigger payday next Summer at age 28 then he would get this Summer against a huge Free Agent Center pool.

Memphis is screwed next year no matter what because they are the last team to hold the Chandler Parsons hot potato. Whether Memphis carries Valanciunas' $17.6M or Turner's $17.6M, it doesn't matter, but if they can get Trent, Jr. or a Portland 1st Rd pick (2020 or 2021), that would be a great return for basically nothing (Valanciunas opts out Thursday and they get nothing). They could see Valanciunas in their long-term plans, but even if they did, then why not add the asset of Trent, Jr or another 1st Rd pick (they have been giving a lot of them away lately trying to re-tool/rebuild with undrafted Free Agents and 2nd Rd picks, while being extremely lucky in the draft lotteries...they have to give Boston a 1st Rd pick still), and then sign him themselves in the Free Agent market of 2020 (or go another route with the cap money they will have).
    I doubt Valanciunas can get anywhere close to $17.6M as a free agent, so opting in seems like a no-brainer for him. Seems like a good target for the Blazers. Wild guess, but I'd think Simons and Skal would rate above Trent in terms of desirable players at the end of the Portland bench.

Coddle thy pitchers.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-12-2019)

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

The Lakers have reportedly made progress on a multi-team deal that would net them Anthony Davis.

The Lakers have reportedly emerged as the frontrunners in the AD sweepstakes, but teams like the Knicks and Celtics remain in the running. That said, it's worth noting that Davis' agent, Rich Paul, stated during a recent interview that no matter where AD winds up he'll be hitting free agency in 2020, and warned the Celtics that if he goes there he'll likely just be a one-year rental. It'll be interesting to see if a deal comes to fruition prior to the 2019 draft.

SOURCE: SNY

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I doubt Valanciunas can get anywhere close to $17.6M as a free agent, so opting in seems like a no-brainer for him. Seems like a good target for the Blazers. Wild guess, but I'd think Simons and Skal would rate above Trent in terms of desirable players at the end of the Portland bench.
    They won't give up Simons. They love him. Simons is going to get half of Curry's minutes, if not all of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, from Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Kevin Durant (Achilles) reportedly views picking up the player option on his contract worth $31.5 million for the 2019-20 season as a last resort.

We still haven't heard the extent of KD's Achilles tear, but he's assuredly looking at a lengthy rehab process, and there's a chance he won't play at all next season. Still, he's expected to receive multiple max offer sheets from teams around the league, despite dealing with this devasting injury, and a new deal for KD would start with an annual salary of $38 million.

SOURCE: Get Up on Twitter
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-12-2019 at 01:23 PM.

So with the Durant Achilles tear, do you all think he's done? I mean, not completely done, but Kobe post-Achilles tear done?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    So with the Durant Achilles tear, do you all think he's done? I mean, not completely done, but Kobe post-Achilles tear done?
    He's still got sick skills. His shooting and handle aren't going away. Might not be as explosive, but he's still long enough to attack the rim even with minimal hops. I fully expect him to be a quality player again.

- - - Updated - - -

They won't give up Simons. They love him. Simons is going to get half of Curry's minutes, if not all of them.
    They're going to need to figure something out because I doubt Trent has trade value.

Coddle thy pitchers.

17. Likes:

Boston Red (06-12-2019),Revering4Blue (06-12-2019)

Wes Matthews said it takes a full 2 years to recover from that injury which puts him around 33 when he gets back to normal. His skills might be trending down at that point but he would still easily be a top 10-15 player in the NBA.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Is a top 10-15 player worth $40 million+ per year for those years?

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Wes Matthews said it takes a full 2 years to recover from that injury which puts him around 33 when he gets back to normal. His skills might be trending down at that point but he would still easily be a top 10-15 player in the NBA.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The 4th pick, the 6th pick, Kuzma, and Hart would be a deal I could live with, were I the Wizards.

For next year, that'd be a wing (Culver or Hunter), a combo guard (White or Garland), and a big (Bol, Doumbouya, Hayes) to pair with Thomas Bryant, Bobby Portis, and Tomas Satoransky.

That should make them the worst team in the league and provide them with a good shot at James Wiseman, Anthony Edwards, et al, next season.
    Garland makes sense at 4 no matter who ultimately owns the pick. Granted, it's not necessarily what I'd do, but I sense that Culver will be the pick for Cleveland at 5, leaving Hunter there for the taking. Manute Bol's son to Washington has to happen, doesn't it...And may well worth the gamble (health status), as, based on talent alone, Bol Bol is top ten worthy in this draft.

Bryant, Portis, Satorinsky and Dekker are all RFAs, with Parker's 20 million a team option - In other words, goodbye, Jabari. They're also still stuck with Howard and Mahinmi's bad deal for another year.

And, as RichRed pointed out, this is not the time of year to operate without a GM.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I admittedly live in the past when it comes to the NBA, and can you blame a Washington fan for that? I still hang on to the Elvin Hayes-Wes Unseld-Bobby Dandridge-Kevin Grevey-Mitch Kupchak championship team, and I remember asking my parents if I could stay up and watch the Finals. So they'll probably always be the Bullets to me.
    Full disclosure: I prefer the "Bullets" nickname. As I understand it, the Bullets nickname was adopted in Baltimore in honor of a bullet factory located there. And yes, I remember that seven game Finals match-up well with Seattle's Jack Sikma as a rookie back in the tape-delayed days, which made it difficult for those of us still in Elementary School at the time.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-13-2019),RichRed (06-13-2019)

Turn Off Ads?