Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Wood

Re: Alex Wood

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Only 5 of the 73 guys that have been offered a QO have accepted it since the system began in 2012. Puig and Wood are looking to get paid so there is virtually no chance either accept it. Cozart was not looking for a contract anything close to what those two are and the Reds didn’t wanna be on the hook for $17.5M for him.
    Cozart was coming off a 5 fWAR season, and was more productive in the three seasons prior to free agency than Puig and Wood will likely have. The free agent market is dying lately, so I am guessing we will see fewer and fewer QO, and more of the ones that are offered, being accepted.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Cozart was coming off a 5 fWAR season, and was more productive in the three seasons prior to free agency than Puig and Wood will likely have. The free agent market is dying lately, so I am guessing we will see fewer and fewer QO, and more of the ones that are offered, being accepted.
    He was 31 coming off by far the best season of his career. Both guys are quiet a bit younger than him. Worst case is they both take the offer (which they won’t) and we get them for another year.

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-28-2019)

The Reds made Choo a QO and there was virtually no chance he’d accept. Did they ever make a QO besides Choo? I don’t recall, but I don’t see this ownership risking an $18 million QO that could be accepted.

The two cases that could be different are Puig and Gennett. My guess is it’s still too rich for the Reds’ taste. So I don’t expect any QOs, but those two are possible. Trades or extensions are more likely IMO.

Wood? Would have to prove mighty healthy later this year for Reds to consider it.

6. Likes:

757690 (04-28-2019),DocRed (04-28-2019)

He was 31 coming off by far the best season of his career. Both guys are quiet a bit younger than him. Worst case is they both take the offer (which they won’t) and we get them for another year.
    I think it would be smart for them to make QO to at least Puig and Wood depending on health. I just don't see the Reds doing it. They are very risk adverse.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think they are going to extend Puig
    They have an entire season of production to observe - both here and in the farms - before they have to make that decision. I certainly won't lose any sleep if they let him walk... but they have to have an answer for RF going forward.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think they are going to extend Puig
    I hope not. They can't afford to allocate resources to 2-3 win position players. That money needs to go towards pitching.

I think it would be smart for them to make QO to at least Puig and Wood depending on health. I just don't see the Reds doing it. They are very risk adverse.
    I don’t know if it would be smart in Wood’s case, $18 million is a lot of money for any smaller market team to gamble on a pitcher with back issues. In any event, Wood has a long way to go to prove to this ownership they should even consider a QO for extension.

Agreed, still need to see Wood healthy.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I'm disappointed that the Reds didn't sign Gio Gonzalez. Mahle, Disco...and obviously, Wood...are no sure things.

They really could have used him. Only two years ago he had a great year, and he's only 33.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

14. Likes:

DocRed (04-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I'm disappointed that the Reds didn't sign Gio Gonzalez. Mahle, Disco...and obviously, Wood...are no sure things.

They really could have used him. Only two years ago he had a great year, and he's only 33.
    I am just the opposite. I am rather pleased that they didn't sign him. Yeah I know Johnson helped him thru last season, I just feel his best innings are behind him.

16. Likes:

HammerTime (04-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post

Jeeeez.. I never thought I'd see the day when 33 sounded old, then suddenly I became 33, but that was ONLY 27 years ago. Ironically now 33 seems like a spring chicken and is younger than my youngest offspring..and 33 has suddenly become old. Life just has a way of making everything sound wrong when it comes to age.
    I'm not feeling super confident about Alex Wood and his Reds glory days.

18. Likes:

malcontent (04-28-2019)

When they leave as a FA my guess is they will offer both QO and when they sign with someone else the Reds will get a comp pick.
    Alex Wood accept a QO for around $18 Million in a heartbeat. No thank you. Let him walk and use that money on a better pitcher.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Alex Wood accept a QO for around $18 Million in a heartbeat. No thank you. Let him walk and use that money on a better pitcher.
    I think you are ignoring how good he is.

When they leave as a FA my guess is they will offer both QO and when they sign with someone else the Reds will get a comp pick.
    Don't count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Don't count on it.
    A healthy Alex Wood and Yasiel Puig are never ever accepting a 1 year deal for $18M in their prime.

Turn Off Ads?