Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Alex Wood

Re: Alex Wood

With Wood, the stat that stands out is the HR rate that is far above his career average. He's never been a hard thrower. His BB rate is actually down. Is his decreased performance due to the park, or, is it because of the long layoff? He probably has six more starts this year. No need to rush a decision. Let the pitching coaches work with him.

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-26-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

As M2 noted, looking at post-injury, small sample stats can be highly misleading. For some players it can take months or even a full season to get back to themselves.

I laughed when I heard the Scooter give away justified because he was hitting in the low .200s. He missed more than half the baseball season - and was rushed back. With the Reds, it was basically ST. Notably he’s started to hit better for SF.

The problem with Wood is not his current performance numbers. It’s the risk of future injury (or long-term effects from injury) and his likely high salary demands in FA.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-19-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    He won’t return much either way, if he’s moved it will be at the deadline. Non frontline starters with a few months of control don’t bring back impact guys. And he is nowhere near a frontline starter on a contender. That’s not even arguable.
    He just netted 5 guys. If he nets 60% of what Cleveland got for him, plus the freed cash, it's a good move to flip him.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-19-2019 at 07:21 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He just netted 5 guys. If he nets 6% of what Cleveland got for him, plus the freed cash, it's a good move to flip him.
    Huh? Who starts next season then? I'm in no hurry to watch Disco-Mahle-Gausman splat our way to .500 again.

Wood just doesn't have *it* back yet. Good RH hitters terrify him. He doesn't have the stuff yet to cut anything inside, so he works them down and out. And when he misses up just a little bit the ball winds up in the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Huh? Who starts next season then? I'm in no hurry to watch Disco-Mahle-Gausman splat our way to .500 again.

Wood just doesn't have *it* back yet. Good RH hitters terrify him. He doesn't have the stuff yet to cut anything inside, so he works them down and out. And when he misses up just a little bit the ball winds up in the stands.
    Meant 60%. Sticky keyboard. Get a Puig like Rental bat at the right position, a high end minor leaguer and a lotto ticket. Take that Eighteen Million or so and sign somebody else. I've soured on Bauer a bit. He's alright, but the money could buy a lot of guys who are alright. Heck, Tanner Roark might work, for a lot less and the talent acquired could fill another hole and provide trade capital for other needs.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

This move gets worse and worse with each of his starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    This move gets worse and worse with each of his starts.
    Only thing that can possibly save this trade is if Yasiel Puig enjoyed his time in Cincinnati so much that he resigns with the Reds this off-season...

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Both Wood and Bauer are doing their best to ensure we have a fighting chance for a top 5 pick. And for that, I’m grateful.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by Rece Tyler View Post
    Only thing that can possibly save this trade is if Yasiel Puig enjoyed his time in Cincinnati so much that he resigns with the Reds this off-season...
    We have a better RF than Puig playing for league minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    We have a better RF than Puig playing for league minimum.
    Move Aquino to LF

Lineup:
    1. Senzel/Ervin
    2. VanMeter/Votto
    3. Puig
    4. Aquino
    5. Suarez
    6. Grandal
    7. Galvis
    8. Iglesias

Not too shabby
    Last edited by Rece Tyler; 08-25-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rece Tyler View Post
    As much as I am a fan of Puig, I am not sure that getting him back helps the offense in any big way.

14. Likes:

mth123 (08-26-2019)

A bit confused here. In Dick Williams's interview with C. Trent, he suggested the Reds couldn't make a qualifying offer to Wood.

[Wood] was supposed to be one of our top one or two. And we went basically all season without him and that was a big part of making the trade. Not only did we not get his production for the year, but we didn’t get to make him a qualifying offer to recoup the player that we gave up.
    https://theathletic.com/1263506/2019...s-reds-future/

Given what we saw this year, I'm not sure making a qualifying offer to Wood is in the Reds interest, but is there something barring them from doing so? Or was Williams implying the injury risk makes it a non-starter? I thought the language Williams used was odd (especially the past tense).

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    A bit confused here. In Dick Williams's interview with C. Trent, he suggested the Reds couldn't make a qualifying offer to Wood.

https://theathletic.com/1263506/2019...s-reds-future/

Given what we saw this year, I'm not sure making a qualifying offer to Wood is in the Reds interest, but is there something barring them from doing so? Or was Williams implying the injury risk makes it a non-starter? I thought the language Williams used was odd (especially the past tense).
    It's gotta be the latter, a "we can't justify it because of his lost season" statement as opposed to "we're not allowed to".
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Thats 18M that could go a long way toward Mad Baum, Keuckel, or Miley if we want to add a lefty.

I wouldn’t even consider Wood on a discounted deal. Give me a proven arm both in stats and health...

18. Likes:

REDREAD (10-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It's gotta be the latter, a "we can't justify it because of his lost season" statement as opposed to "we're not allowed to".
    Thats how I read it too.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Turn Off Ads?