Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Gets Dropped Off the 40

Who Gets Dropped Off the 40

Reds will need to make some room on the 40 to protect minor leagues from the Rule 5 and to add potential free agents. Who is in jeopardy?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who Gets Dropped Off the 40

Am I correct that Dietrich..Galvis and Gausman could be non tendered if the Reds so choose

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo14 View Post
    Am I correct that Dietrich..Galvis and Gausman could be non tendered if the Reds so choose
    You are correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good amount of bubble guys. Graterol and Colon are definitely gonna be outrighted. For the pitchers you've got RJ Alaniz, Jimmy Herget, Joel Kuhnel, Keury Mella, Sal Romano, and Jackson Stephens probably in danger. I think the latter three could be dropped, the first three might be safe. Blandino, O'Grady, and Schebler are probably the bubble offensive guys, possibly Siri too, not including the bigger decisions about Peraza, Galvis, and Dietrich.

I think the Reds want to keep Gausman, but maybe not at his arb salary.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-01-2019)

Most of the guys Tom mentioned will lose spots, but they won't lose them until the Reds need to add someone to the 40 man roster. Between now and the non-tender deadline I would expect Graterol, Colon, Stephens to be outrighted.

Then the non-tenders - Dietrich, Gausman, Peraza, Bowman all possibilities.

And then the likes of Mella, Alaniz, Schebler, Romano, O'Grady, Farmer, Reed, Siri, etc. if the Reds need more spots.

Hopefully the Reds will make some moves that force some of these cuts.

Blandino is not getting cut. Neither are Herget or Kuhnel.

Wood and Iglesias going to FA in 4 weeks will open 2 spots for Santillan and Stephenson.

Galvis' option must be declined or picked up within 5 days of the W.S. ending.

8. Likes:

JustaFan (10-01-2019),RED VAN HOT (10-02-2019),REDREAD (09-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Most of the guys Tom mentioned will lose spots, but they won't lose them until the Reds need to add someone to the 40 man roster. Between now and the non-tender deadline I would expect Graterol, Colon, Stephens to be outrighted.

Then the non-tenders - Dietrich, Gausman, Peraza, Bowman all possibilities.

And then the likes of Mella, Alaniz, Schebler, Romano, O'Grady, Farmer, Reed, Siri, etc. if the Reds need more spots.

Hopefully the Reds will make some moves that force some of these cuts.

Blandino is not getting cut. Neither are Herget or Kuhnel.

Wood and Iglesias going to FA in 4 weeks will open 2 spots for Santillan and Stephenson.

Galvis' option must be declined or picked up within 5 days of the W.S. ending.
    You think Blandino is safer than Farmer? I think they're both fringy but I think they like Farmer's versatility, while Blandino still just hasn't put too much "on tape" at the big league level as they say.

I think Bowman likely secured himself winter protection with his September performance (10.2 scoreless innings) barring some bigger moves. Plus Bell knows and likes him from the St. Louis days.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    You think Blandino is safer than Farmer? I think they're both fringy but I think they like Farmer's versatility, while Blandino still just hasn't put too much "on tape" at the big league level as they say.

I think Bowman likely secured himself winter protection with his September performance (10.2 scoreless innings) barring some bigger moves. Plus Bell knows and likes him from the St. Louis days.
    Abso..freaking...lutely

(And yes September probably saved Bowman from being nontendered)

I think Blandino, Farmer and Peraza will all be retained. It's debatable whether they should be retained, but they will.

Plenty of chaff to cut off the 40 man roster when needed.
    I wonder if the Reds will go down to 39 and try to grab a bullpen arm in Rule V?
    If there's no one they like, they will probably need the space for an eventual bullpen addition anyway.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

A couple of the low OBP bats need to be moved off the 25-man roster and replaced with higher-than-average OBP bats. There are just too many easy outs and guys who can get pitched around when the opposing team needs to get out of trouble.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

13. Likes:

Chip R (10-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I think Blandino, Farmer and Peraza will all be retained. It's debatable whether they should be retained, but they will.

Plenty of chaff to cut off the 40 man roster when needed.
    I wonder if the Reds will go down to 39 and try to grab a bullpen arm in Rule V?
    If there's no one they like, they will probably need the space for an eventual bullpen addition anyway.
    Blandino and Farmer are safe IMO because they are still league minimum salary. Peraza isn't so not so sure....

15. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2019)

I suspect they'll jettison 12 - 14 guys off the 40-man roster to free up spots for other team's cast-offs. There are 19 candidates(!) for which decisions will have to be made.

Free Agents
    Alex Wood
    Jose Iglesias

Non-tenders
    Kevin Gausman
    Keury Mella
    Sal Romano
    Jose Peraza
    Brian O'Grady
    Juan Graterol
    Derek Dietrich
    Freddy Galvis
    Christian Colon
    Jackson Stephens
    Scott Schebler

Questionable
    Matt Bowman
    Alex Blandino
    Jose Siri
    Jimmy Herget
    Joel Kuhnel
    RJ Alaniz

Poaching talent from LA, New York, and Tampa would be a pretty solid idea, IMO, as would being aggressive early in free agency, and the Rule 5 draft. There's somewhere around $28M in salary at the major league level here, give or take a couple million either way. That's enough to add depth or a true difference-maker and chaff.

Expect an active off-season.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 10-01-2019 at 12:23 PM.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-01-2019),oregonred (10-01-2019),REDREAD (10-01-2019),Revering4Blue (10-01-2019)

"So Fla Red"

Wow a lot of chaff on the current 40-man. Great idea to poach from the top 5-10 systems to build much needed 40-man depth

19. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2019),Revering4Blue (10-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I suspect they'll jettison 12 - 14 guys off the 40-man roster to free up spots for other team's cast-offs. There are 19 candidates(!) for which decisions will have to be made.

Free Agents
    Alex Wood
    Jose Iglesias

Non-tenders
    Kevin Gausman --re-sign at lower rate
    Keury Mella
    Sal Romano
    Jose Peraza ---possible trade bait
    Brian O'Grady
    Juan Graterol
    Derek Dietrich
    Freddy Galvis--pick up option
    Christian Colon
    Jackson Stephens
    Scott Schebler

Questionable
    Matt Bowman-pick up
    Alex Blandino-pick up
    Jose Siri
    Jimmy Herget
    Joel Kuhnel-pick up
    RJ Alaniz

Poaching talent from LA, New York, and Tampa would be a pretty solid idea, IMO, as would being aggressive early in free agency, and the Rule 5 draft. There's somewhere around $28M in salary at the major league level here, give or take a couple million either way. That's enough to add depth or a true difference-maker and chaff.

21. Likes:

Mitri (10-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Free Agents
    Alex Wood
    Jose Iglesias

Non-tenders
    Kevin Gausman
    Keury Mella
    Sal Romano
    Jose Peraza
    Brian O'Grady
    Juan Graterol
    Derek Dietrich
    Freddy Galvis
    Christian Colon
    Jackson Stephens
    Scott Schebler

Questionable
    Matt Bowman
    Alex Blandino
    Jose Siri
    Jimmy Herget
    Joel Kuhnel
    RJ Alaniz

I’ll go on record and say there is no one player listed I would lose sleep over the Reds not keeping him around. I’d love Wood on a cheap deal. Gausman maybe on a 2 year cheap bullpen deal. Perhaps a fair take it or leave it deal to Igleisias. The rest I wouldn’t expend much effort on.

According to wiki, Bono was usually the first to be dropped during 40, then Adam Clayton, the Edge then Larry Mullen.

24. Likes:

Always Red (10-06-2019),Chip R (10-07-2019),Tadasimha (10-09-2019)

Turn Off Ads?