Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My friends at work are BENT about the Reds

My friends at work are BENT about the Reds

I have several dyed-in-the-wool Reds friends at work. They are ALL bent out of shape about the current state of affairs. They think the Reds players are grossly underachieving, especially the hitters. One blames the inept front office (but I disagree). They say wait until June if the Reds are still dismal. Cobwebs will be forming on the seats, just like they did in 1982. I agree for the most part,except their BABIP is an unlucky .247. Just wanted to let you know the Reds are disappointing whoever is left as a Reds fan. Go Cincinnati FC?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My friends at work are BENT about the Reds

I baled hay for 2 summers in junior highschool, in between Two-a-days for football and/or baseball games.

It was bloody awful!

4. Likes:

Alabama (04-17-2019),CarolinaRedleg (04-18-2019),goreds2 (04-18-2019),MR X (04-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I baled hay for 2 summers in junior highschool, in between Two-a-days for football and/or baseball games.

It was bloody awful!
    I can concur on this.

It was bloody awful!
    I grew up on a dairy farm and did this every summer in high school. As soon as football two-a-days started I was a free man. Daddy didn’t make me work during sport seasons except on weekends.115 heat index in full pads is a hell of a lot better than 115 heat index in a hayfield.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    I grew up on a dairy farm and did this every summer in high school. As soon as football two-a-days started I was a free man. Daddy didn’t make me work during sport seasons except on weekends.115 heat index in full pads is a hell of a lot better than 115 heat index in a hayfield.
    I chose Ohiohaybaler because some Ohio State basketball player once said “since I am from Ohio, people think I bake hay all day”

The Reds are either primed to make hay, or the hay is in the barn. One of those sayings could be true.

63 years old, born and raised in Ohia, yet never once bailed hay as it was going on all around me (LOL). Cleaned out my share of dairy barn stalls, and my Dad ... because he "experienced" it growing up, and wanted to share that experience with me ...would send me to his Uncle's soybean and tobacco farm in Ky. Found out firsthand what Johnson grass was, and the meaning of the term "Hotter then the 7th rail!" (LOL). Did a lot of good bass fishin' though on them farm ponds.

I've been a die-hard Red's fan for almost 60 years (hard to believe). Seen a lot of great players, managers, and teams pass through in that time. Yet as much as I have loved, and played, the game of baseball all my life, when it came to following the Reds over these last 60 years, I really haven't had too much to cheer about as far as the post-season and winning championships goes. You take out the six years of the BRM of the 70s and it's pretty slim (LOL). Growing up primarily in the 60s, while there were some good Reds teams during that era, loved many of the players - the '61 WS was their only post-season appearance. Of course if your decade was the 80s then you had Nada.

Now I don't say the above to put forth the notion that fans should then be indifferent, or shouldn't be involved, show concern, anger, and frustration, when things aren't going so good. That's what defines us as fans. Unfortunately, it "doesn't go so well" a lot if you're a Red's fan, or a fan of a lot of MLB teams.

The game has changed BIG TIME since I was a kid. Back then, the closest a fan got to a player, was very "limited" because you didn't have the media/technology we have now. Not even close (LOL). You could obviously attend a game at Crosley, but that was an infrequent and special trip for my family. Cherished moments too. But other then the local paper's sports section (box score), and a possible subscription to SI, Sporting News, or Baseball Digest, the primary source for myself, and a majority of fans from that generation, was an AM RADIO, and whenever they did appear on TV.

The advancements in technology, as well as the media, has made ACCESS to players ... the gathering of information, the entire analytical process which goes deeper, more in-depth... more readily available, and at the touch of your fingertips. You don't need a program in the stands if you have an app on your I-phone. The unlimited sources of data on the 'net. It's almost Orwellian.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is .... the increase in the level of an individual fan's involvement has a direct correlation to emotional stimuli, and negatively too, increasing the levels of angst and stress (LOL).

Get you an AM radio, a cold one, and just sit on the back deck relaxing and listening to a game. Quit getting upset over whose batting where, why is this guy even playing, or whatever ... because you can't change any of it! It's like yelling at your dog! Do you think he cares? LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 04-18-2019 at 07:00 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-18-2019),Revering4Blue (04-18-2019),Stingray (04-20-2019)

Well, I am bent but that's just because I am old and tired. Now get off my lawn!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

GAC (04-18-2019),Revering4Blue (04-18-2019)

Years ago, I got a infraction for saying BENT in one of my posts.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

14. Likes:

redsrule2500 (04-18-2019)

Talking about puttin’ up hay is easier than discussing the Reds. Hot work ,almost unbearable if you are up in the barn loft stacking the bales. But, I don’t expect many even use square bales now.

The connotations with the word “work” have changed dramatically in my lifetime. Of course my parents had to walk a couple miles to school each day, uphill both ways.
    Last edited by wlf WV; 04-18-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    May the Lord bless

16. Likes:

Ben Zinger (04-20-2019)

After the hay is put up the real work begins. Tobacco!

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-18-2019)

Getting bent hurts.
    A saxophone someplace far off played

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Getting bent hurts.
    Bent is from Jim Rome. It's short for "bent out of shape"

It was bloody awful!
    When we bought this acreage in MT, I told my wife the worst job I ever had was baling hay, and I wouldn't do it going forward. It's been 20 years, and I still bale hay every damned summer. At 57, I've told my 15-year-old, the job is being passed to him!

And I am the hay elevator too...nothing like stepping up, bale after bale to load them in the loft. Then I "get" to climb up to the loft and stack them there too.

Reds games are supposed to put a smile on my face on hot summer days after baling hay. Not so sure about that happening this summer.
    Last edited by RedsfaninMT; 04-18-2019 at 09:13 AM.

22. Likes:

Ben Zinger (04-20-2019),OGB (04-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

24. Likes:

NebraskaRed (04-18-2019),OGB (04-19-2019)

Turn Off Ads?