Turn Off Ads?
Page 63 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't buy the first sentence. Taylor isn't taking the job if he doesn't control the roster construction. Tobin may be the defacto GM, but if Taylor has a large say on the roster construction.
    Remember, Taylor was the QB coach for the Rams, not the offensive coordinator. He was hired after the Cardinals and Broncos, the other two teams interested in his services, settled on other candidates.

Had the Bengals hired any of the top available candidates, I could see them having control. Why would Mike Brown (or any owner) hand over full control or give so much influence to a QB coach regardless of who he coached under? Taylor is someone the Brown family can control and put a positive spin (NEW-DEY!) while in the background itís still business as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

Todd Gack (09-17-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Thank God I only root for one 'Nati team. I don't think I could stomach two. Good luck the rest of the way out fellas and maintain your sanity as best you can.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (09-20-2019),Hoosier Red (09-17-2019),Kingspoint (09-16-2019),Redsfaithful (09-16-2019),Revering4Blue (09-16-2019),WVRed (09-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    From Profootballfocus:

The Bengals have ďgiven their running backs less than a yard before contact per attempt (-0.1) resulting in a league-worst 1.8 rushing yards per attempt this season.Ē

Huber is currently graded (PFF) as the best punter in the NFL.

John Ross leads all wide receivers in fantasy points scored (45.0).

The Cincinnati defense struggled as a unit, but Geno Atkins was in top form, giving the 49ers fits as both a pass-rusher and run defender. Atkinsí power was on display all day, as he regularly forced 49ers linemen deep into the backfield to disrupt rushing lanes and pressure Jimmy Garoppolo. San Francisco was twice penalized for holding Atkins, an indication of how dominant he was when facing one-on-one blocks.

Four-year veteran cornerback William Jackson III was rarely targeted on the day and flashed his coverage skills early in the second quarter when he intercepted a pass from Jimmy G. However, Jackson and his fellow defensive backs failed to do much when San Francisco targeted the perimeter with screen passes or with the running game. The struggles of Cincinnatiís secondary were a big factor is the 49ersí rushing success.

John Ross had a quiet day for most of the game until garbage time when he caught pass and took it 66 yards to the house, leaving several 49ers defenders in his dust. He was targeted earlier in the game on a go route, but Richard Sherman went stride for stride with him on the incompletion, and Ross also had a drop on a pass at the line of scrimmage.

Andy Dalton was conservative throughout the game, and he wasnít particularly accurate when he did push the ball downfield. He seemed indecisive when forced to go through reads and made some poor decisions resulting in turnover-worthy plays.

Rookie Takeaways

Michael Jordan struggled in both pass protection and the run game against San Francisco. The rookie Ohio State product has had a rough start to his NFL career through two weeks.
    If I'm a fantasy owner, I trade John Ross NOW.

With Green out for longer then the 6-8 week timetable he is a definite hold for me especially considering 20 targets in 2 games...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-17-2019)

We're Together Again... Bob Sheed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    With Green out for longer then the 6-8 week timetable
    Never saw that coming...
    "Learn what it is that you do. Or we'll find someone else that will."

With Green out for longer then the 6-8 week timetable he is a definite hold for me especially considering 20 targets in 2 games...
    It's all about targets. It also looks like the Bengals have no run-blocking and will have to pass. They will also have to take shots, as Taylor seems to like to do, as they could be behind quite often.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Bengals make a bold move to help their offenseive line problems, signing rookie UDFA Keaton Sutherland off of their practice squad.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/9/1...-boyd-nfl-news

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Bengals make a bold move to help their offenseive line problems, signing rookie UDFA Keaton Sutherland off of their practice squad.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/9/1...-boyd-nfl-news
    Pretty much what the Steelers and Patriots did.

They saw an opportunity to improve their team, and they jumped on it. Yep. All three teams putting in the same win-or-die effort.

Well, if there's one guy who can help, it's this guy...

The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Pretty much what the Steelers and Patriots did.

They saw an opportunity to improve their team, and they jumped on it. Yep. All three teams putting in the same win-or-die effort.
    The Steeler move was a huge risk though...as they are 0-2 and your giving up a potentially high draft pick for Fitzpatrick...bold move for sure but a ton of risk if Mason Rudolph tanks.

The Steeler move was a huge risk though...as they are 0-2 and your giving up a potentially high draft pick for Fitzpatrick...bold move for sure but a ton of risk if Mason Rudolph tanks.
    The Steelers have a brand to maintain. They can't be out there Bungling it up just because their QB goes down. There are no rebuilding years. Otherwise, the masses of fair weather fans they have outside of Pissburgh will bolt for greener pastures.

As a Bengals fan, I know it seems strange to see a team doing anything and everything it takes to win, but in actuality, it's what most teams do.

Some teams always seem to find a way.
    Other teams always seem to find a way to make excuses.

16. Likes:

dubc47834 (09-20-2019),tsdavis11 (09-18-2019)

The Steelers have a brand to maintain. They can't be out there Bungling it up just because their QB goes down. There are no rebuilding years. Otherwise, the masses of fair weather fans they have outside of Pissburgh will bolt for greener pastures.

As a Bengals fan, I know it seems strange to see a team doing anything and everything it takes to win, but in actuality, it's what most teams do.

Some teams always seem to find a way.
    Other teams always seem to find a way to make excuses.
    Yep because the Steelers let their best two players get away.

Yep because the Steelers got the best DB on the market, whoops, Jalen Ramsey wants a trade now.

Yep because the Steelers mortgaged the future for a team without their HOF QB.

It may work out for the Steelers, but many NFL experts I have seen do not like the deal. The Steelers have to hope Rudolph is the real deal, because they will have zero draft capital next season to get something done if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yep because the Steelers let their best two players get away.

Yep because the Steelers got the best DB on the market, whoops, Jalen Ramsey wants a trade now.

Yep because the Steelers mortgaged the future for a team without their HOF QB.

It may work out for the Steelers, but many NFL experts I have seen do not like the deal. The Steelers have to hope Rudolph is the real deal, because they will have zero draft capital next season to get something done if need be.
    We can double back to this at the end of the season, but I think you know how this will play out.

Steelers will be playoff relevant most of if not all season.

They'll build on that. Maybe make a trade or two for additional draft picks. Find a few late round gems.

You know the routine.

Meanwhile in Cincinnati, we've got Dave Shula 2.0 being taken to the woodshed weekly by actual NFL caliber coaches, and it's the 1990s all over again.

The fact that people actually disagree that this is exactly what is happening, AGAIN...just blows my mind.

I'll tell you what I'd pay money for. All these people who continue to bend over every year for Mike Brown, wallets in hand, thankyousirmayIhaveanother... I would pay money to watch them watch video of themselves watching Bengals games. The early hopefulness. Quickly crushed.
    The 16 dollar beers. Walking back to the car afterwards. All of it. You know... what Mike Brown calls "the NFL experience."

My enjoyment would come, not from their pain, but rather from the small hopefulness that them watching themselves being "entertained " might cause them to question continually funding said "entertainment ".

19. Likes:

tsdavis11 (09-18-2019)

We can double back to this at the end of the season, but I think you know how this will play out.

Steelers will be playoff relevant most of if not all season.

They'll build on that. Maybe make a trade or two for additional draft picks. Find a few late round gems.

You know the routine.

Meanwhile in Cincinnati, we've got Dave Shula 2.0 being taken to the woodshed weekly by actual NFL caliber coaches, and it's the 1990s all over again.

The fact that people actually disagree that this is exactly what is happening, AGAIN...just blows my mind.

I'll tell you what I'd pay money for. All these people who continue to bend over every year for Mike Brown, wallets in hand, thankyousirmayIhaveanother... I would pay money to watch them watch video of themselves watching Bengals games. The early hopefulness. Quickly crushed.
    The 16 dollar beers. Walking back to the car afterwards. All of it. You know... what Mike Brown calls "the NFL experience."

My enjoyment would come, not from their pain, but rather from the small hopefulness that them watching themselves being "entertained " might cause them to question continually funding said "entertainment ".
    The Steelers are 0-2 and have looked awful through two weeks...the only reason they remain relevant is because the talking heads tell you they are still relevant.

Miami has done a brilliant job of knowing when and how to blow it up something the Bengals should consider...why continue to ride the treadmill of 3-13 or 6-10...rebuild and reload with a ton of picks. To me that is the bigger issue here knowing when the window is closed.

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-18-2019)

The Steelers are 0-2 and have looked awful through two weeks...the only reason they remain relevant is because the talking heads tell you they are still relevant.

Miami has done a brilliant job of knowing when and how to blow it up something the Bengals should consider...why continue to ride the treadmill of 3-13 or 6-10...rebuild and reload with a ton of picks. To me that is the bigger issue here knowing when the window is closed.
    I think the Bengals are on the rebuilding path right now. I think the firing of Marv, finally, signaled that. They were a 6-7 win team for the past three seasons but really a team in a holding pattern when they needed to be focused on one direction or another.

The general rule of thumb is a HC (and GM) get to pick their QB, once. You live and die with that QB your hitch your ride to. Now the Bengals are a little bit different in that Tobin probably has the most job security of any psuedo GM in the game. And patience with Taylor isn't exactly a bad thing. I wanted them to draft Haskins in the 1st, and its a little surprising they traded up to take Finley in the 4th. Its an interesting move, not exactly a starting QB draft slot, but not really a backup QB slot, especially when you had holes elsewhere. I think a QB has to come either this upcoming draft or the draft after. The 2021 draft may be more loaded with QB as the top QB in the Draft, Herbert, has some serious question marks, and Tua I think is more of a wild card than people make him out to be. Honestly, I can see the Bengals franchising Dalton next season and then taking a QB in 2021.

They went about trying to reshape their OL with Glenn, Price, and Williams (you can throw in Jordan who was a 4th round pick) but they have either been injured or ineffective. I think at the time, everyone thought those were solid moves.

When I look a the Bengals roster, who brings a tremendous amount of trade value back? Dalton probably can be hand for at best a 2nd rounder. Atkins and Dunlap have some value, but those guys are both getting long in the tooth. WJ3 is really coming off disappointing seasons, AJ is injured, Boyd is signed for the foreseeable future, and Mixon is a RB. If the Bengals had some malcontent who wanted to be traded and would bring back a 1st or 2nd, then I say go for it. I just don't see the purpose of rebuilding by trading a bunch of your key players for 4th rounders.

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-18-2019)

Turn Off Ads?