Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It is 100% b.s. that the Bengals let Whitworth go because of age. You're a sucker if you keep buying into that. The Browns simply didn't want to pay the money. It felt to good in their own pockets. They have a long history of keeping old players who suck as long as it doesn't cost too much, including a Head Coach. Whitworth showed no signs of aging, in fact, the opposite. He was playing so well the Bengals weren't able to lowball him and instead decided to get rid of their Offensive Captain and team leader rather than pay him what he was worth. They had just finished doing the exact same thing to their Defensive Captain and true team leader, whom Marvin Lewis road his coattails to five seasons of success, Senor Michael Zimmer.

The Browns repeated patterns of cheapness continues forever to get a pass among gullible fans. No wonder the REDS get away with it, too.

There's another pattern here that continually gets ignored.

Guess you get what you deserve.
    Was it cheap to give Bobby Hart $20mill or was it stupid?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Cheap.

We already know their Director of Player Personnel, Duke Tobin, is very astute. He would have advised against it, but if Katie, or whoever is in charge now, learned anything from how the Club was run in the '90's, they would know from their Super Accountant father that a home playoff game costs a lot of money and is a business loss, so to ensure that can't possibly happen, always make sure there is a very weak link teams can exploit, in addition to always having an excuse why there's no money left to address needs in Free Agency. Overpay a few bad players/Coaches already on the team...Peko, Maualuga, Marvin Lewis, etc.

I think Mike Brown did well the last 15 years and really tried to win, but it looks like he turned decision-making over to the Kids and is stepping back and letting them do it their way. It looks like they are going for revenue over winning and acting like they are not accountable to the fans, because they aren't, thanks to the continually corrupt Cincinnati Council Members over the years.

Besides the post I wrote, I truly don't believe it was Mike Brown unless Whitworth said something we don't know about and Mike Brown took it personal.

You'd think things would have to improve with Marvin gone, but maybe Marvin is gone because Mike Brown is gone, too. And, if Mike Brown is gone, that's bad for everyone. I truly believe he improved as an Owner each of the last 15 years, with his only fault, his gullability in believing Marvin Lewis knew anything at all what he was doing. The ultimate brown-noser, he rode the Mike Brown gravy train amazingly. That took a kind of talent, a slimy one, but a talent. I actually like Mike Brown. His family? No, thanks. It sucks because I do like the people of Cincinnati. They have some scumbag political leaders and have for a long time. There's an elite power-base there that the average citizen does not get to see how it operates and gets tossed candidates to vote for where the outcome has already been predetermined. It's a common system around the country, pretty normal actually. It's just disgusting.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

We're Together Again... Bob Sheed's Avatar

Porque no los dos?
    "Learn what it is that you do. Or we'll find someone else that will."

There's nothing cheap about giving Hart that kind of dough. It was stupid. That sort of money should have been given to a more talented player. If they really thought Hart was the most talented guy they could get, they should have signed him for far less. No one else was going to give him that, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Cheap.

We already know their Director of Player Personnel, Duke Tobin, is very astute. He would have advised against it, but if Katie, or whoever is in charge now, learned anything from how the Club was run in the '90's, they would know from their Super Accountant father that a home playoff game costs a lot of money and is a business loss, so to ensure that can't possibly happen, always make sure there is a very weak link teams can exploit, in addition to always having an excuse why there's no money left to address needs in Free Agency. Overpay a few bad players/Coaches already on the team...Peko, Maualuga, Marvin Lewis, etc.

I think Mike Brown did well the last 15 years and really tried to win, but it looks like he turned decision-making over to the Kids and is stepping back and letting them do it their way. It looks like they are going for revenue over winning and acting like they are not accountable to the fans, because they aren't, thanks to the continually corrupt Cincinnati Council Members over the years.

Besides the post I wrote, I truly don't believe it was Mike Brown unless Whitworth said something we don't know about and Mike Brown took it personal.

You'd think things would have to improve with Marvin gone, but maybe Marvin is gone because Mike Brown is gone, too. And, if Mike Brown is gone, that's bad for everyone. I truly believe he improved as an Owner each of the last 15 years, with his only fault, his gullability in believing Marvin Lewis knew anything at all what he was doing. The ultimate brown-noser, he rode the Mike Brown gravy train amazingly. That took a kind of talent, a slimy one, but a talent. I actually like Mike Brown. His family? No, thanks. It sucks because I do like the people of Cincinnati. They have some scumbag political leaders and have for a long time. There's an elite power-base there that the average citizen does not get to see how it operates and gets tossed candidates to vote for where the outcome has already been predetermined. It's a common system around the country, pretty normal actually. It's just disgusting.
    Whit's wife has told the story several times as has Whit...Whit fully expected Cincy to come back with a reasonable offer and unfortunately Katie and Troy low balled him...1 year 10 mil with incentives. Bengals were the only team who did not come close to the other offers he had on the table.

I still scratch my head as to why they did not franchise him for 1 yr.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

7. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Whit's wife has told the story several times as has Whit...Whit fully expected Cincy to come back with a reasonable offer and unfortunately Katie and Troy low balled him...1 year 10 mil with incentives. Bengals were the only team who did not come close to the other offers he had on the table.

I still scratch my head as to why they did not franchise him for 1 yr.
    Well, there you go. That's what I suspected. I truly believe Mike Brown has stepped aside and we have a greedy lawyer (no offense to lawyers out there) running the show.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Boling has had enough too.

I hear the new oline coach has a drill sergeant like approach. That should go over well in 2019.

The Bengals are gonna be Dave Shula bad this season. Then they'll draft Tua and he'll hold out.

It's like watching a slow, inept storm roll in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

I hear the new oline coach has a drill sergeant like approach. That should go over well in 2019.

The Bengals are gonna be Dave Shula bad this season. Then they'll draft Tua and he'll hold out.

Turner is a Marine with a sketchy coaching past so I am sure that had something to do with it ultimately however Bolings decision was more about the blood clot and having a wife and two little girls...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Turner is a Marine with a sketchy coaching past so I am sure that had something to do with it ultimately however Bolings decision was more about the blood clot and having a wife and two little girls...
    Agreed, but the timing of his retirement (10 days into camp, as opposed to when he found out about the blood clot) suggests that the oline coach was at the very least, the last straw for Boling.

The oline coach the Bengals stole from the Cowboys... he was good. Good track record, good results, good disposition. And they replace him with Sgt. Underpants. Nice.

The Bengals Front Office is on a streak of bad decisions that is getting long enough to set them back for many years. They haven't been this foolish, this many times in a row, since the 1990s. I don't know if they win a game this season.

I mean sheesh... The noob HC, Bobby Hart, Fisher and Ogubahshsheazi or whatever, letting Whit walk, letting that other oline coach go, drafting Ross, drafting Price, reaching for yet another OL who promptly gets injured... and the list goes on and on. Hiring Hue Jackson, after the Browns fired him for being an even bigger loser than Dave Shula... I mean... I'm trying to think of something the Bengals Front Office has actually done well lately. Drawing a blank. 1990s style.

If I'm Andy Dalton, I'm scared. Like David Klingler scared. And angry. Like Carson Palmer angry. Dalton's either getting injured or he'll be on concussion protocol every other week. Probably better for him if he just gets injured.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 07-16-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

Boling had blood clots in his legs. He had two choices, retire, or play and risk dying. For a guy with two kids the choice was easy. If you want to read about it, there are several articles talking about Boling's choice.

If you want to continue your narrative, go for it. Just realize that it is factually incorrect.

13. Likes:

RiverRat13 (07-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Boling had blood clots in his legs. He had two choices, retire, or play and risk dying. For a guy with two kids the choice was easy. If you want to read about it, there are several articles talking about Boling's choice.

If you want to continue your narrative, go for it. Just realize that it is factually incorrect.
    There is that question of why now? He's had those blood clots since January and he attended minicamps since then.

I don't think this took the Bengals by surprise. Their plan all along was to replace Boling by moving Cordy Glenn inside to his position. Unfortunately that plan went all to hell when Jonah Williams got hurt.

I do agree with Bob...this season will be Dave Shula-like bad

There is that question of why now? He's had those blood clots since January and he attended minicamps since then.

I don't think this took the Bengals by surprise. Their plan all along was to replace Boling by moving Cordy Glenn inside to his position. Unfortunately that plan went all to hell when Jonah Williams got hurt.

I do agree with Bob...this season will be Dave Shula-like bad
    Sport falls in a "now" world of information. What we often forget is that the players in sport are actual humans. From my understanding, Boling had been dealing with this clots since last season. They tried to handle the problem through blood thinners and treatment. Those things don't happen overnight. I am sure the Bengals were fully updated with Boling throughout the treatment, but its hard to put a firm deadline on a treatment plan that you just don't know.

I am sure they had an understanding and an idea of what Boling may be forced to do, but they wouldn't know until the treatment ran its course. Saying the Bengals are stupid because their starting guard had to retire because of blood clots is ridiculous. They attacked the OLine with Williams in the 1st and trading up for Jordan in the 4th. But I guess the Bengals should have known Williams would miss the season and Boling would retire. Stupid Bengals.

16. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (07-17-2019)

You're wrong. Again.

He knew about the blood clots months ago.

And saying that the Bengals will be Dave Shula bad this season because of the poor decisions streak they have going on... that's not my narrative, that's reality.

The Bengals won't win 4 games this season. They may not win any. Vegas has them at 5 wins and just like with all things Bengal, I'd take the under.

I'll finish with this. I would never pay for a Bengals ticket, but I would enjoy watching the faces of fans that continue to line Mike Browns pockets, as the results of his "product" unfolds.

I'd also buy a ticket to watch Mike Brown lock up PBS, drop the keys off to the city, and drive out of town.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 07-17-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Sport falls in a "now" world of information. What we often forget is that the players in sport are actual humans. From my understanding, Boling had been dealing with this clots since last season. They tried to handle the problem through blood thinners and treatment. Those things don't happen overnight. I am sure the Bengals were fully updated with Boling throughout the treatment, but its hard to put a firm deadline on a treatment plan that you just don't know.

I am sure they had an understanding and an idea of what Boling may be forced to do, but they wouldn't know until the treatment ran its course. Saying the Bengals are stupid because their starting guard had to retire because of blood clots is ridiculous. They attacked the OLine with Williams in the 1st and trading up for Jordan in the 4th. But I guess the Bengals should have known Williams would miss the season and Boling would retire. Stupid Bengals.
    You keep using the word stupid to describe the Bengals. Is that your word or are you referring to what someone else posted?

I think he wanted to wait and see, get lots of opinions, which is understandable. I'm sure he's sad to not play, he's losing out on money, has defined himself as a player and athlete probably since he was 8. I don't blame him for not making it a snap decision, but I think Sea Ray is right that they knew this and were planning for it.

A blood clot is a funny thing, it can be a fluke occurrence, he could have easily played another 5 years with no problems, but if it turns out he's prone to clotting then playing NFL football is a horrible idea.

I think the doom and gloom is probably warranted, but I don't see the point in making that forecast yet because it comes down to a complete unknowable which is how good of a coach is Taylor going to be.

The Bengals probably have enough raw talent on the line, even now, to be average, but they haven't maxed out what they've had in years and years, there have been decades of bad coaching on the line. Maybe it changes now. Probably not, but that's the thing with huge coaching changes, there's really no way to know for sure until the thing happens.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

20. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-17-2019)

Turn Off Ads?