Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

I've said this before and I'll say it again, Price has the ability to change everything. An elite Center is like an elite Quarterback. Get an All-Pro and you can win a Super Bowl. Price has All-Pro potential.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I've said this before and I'll say it again, Price has the ability to change everything. An elite Center is like an elite Quarterback. Get an All-Pro and you can win a Super Bowl. Price has All-Pro potential.
    Issue with Price is he can't stay on the field...look at our last 3 picks...Williams, Ross, and Price...none of them practicing with the team in full.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    It is though, because of revenue sharing. Mike Brown can do the absolute bare minimum when it comes to non-cap related expenditures, and he always gets his 1/32 equal cut of the owners share.

I say non-cap because NFL actually had to make a rule requiring teams to spend up close to the cap every year.

The Mike Brown rule.

Now... you would think such a rule would never need to be made, with every team trying to squeeze as much as possible out of the Salary Cap.

But, you know... Mike Brown.
    Mike Brown is still stuck in an era where he thinks you can win if you build through the draft...that day came and went once the NFL adopted free agency. He never adapted...

plus draft picks are cheap...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Mike Brown is still stuck in an era where he thinks you can win if you build through the draft...that day came and went once the NFL adopted free agency. He never adapted...

The Green Bay Packers won this way too, but they’ve also been smart with their picks.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The Green Bay Packers won this way too, but they’ve also been smart with their picks.
    The Steelers have mostly won this way too.

It's a tough path to go, but if you're really smart and really lucky, you can make it work. The Bengals have not proven to be either.

In terms of long term success, it's hard to really point to any model that has proven 1)consistently successful and 2)repeatable elsewhere.

The Patriots essentially spin gold out of straw cast off by other teams, but how many of their personnel and coaches have had success elsewhere?
    Kansas City has developed a formula that appears to work, and has the benefit of success over two QB's.
    Pulled the win totals by team over the last 5 years. There's some pretty clear separation at top. Then the Chiefs in Steelers on opposite trajectories are tied for 2nd. After the top 5 though, I'd say you can pretty much just replace any team with the other.

So the question this raises with me is, What characteristics do the 5 teams at the top have in common? Have any of those characteristics been repeated outside of the top 5 teams with any success?

Code:
    Team			Wins	Win %
    New England Patriots	62	78%
    Kansas City Chiefs	54	68%
    Pittsburgh Steelers	54	68%
    Seattle Seahawks	51	64%
    Dallas Cowboys		48	60%
    Minnesota Vikings	47	59%
    Carolina Panthers	46	58%
    Philadelphia Eagles	46	58%
    Green Bay Packers	45	56%
    New Orleans Saints	45	56%
    Denver Broncos		44	55%
    Arizona Cardinals	42	53%
    Atlanta Falcons		42	53%
    Baltimore Ravens	42	53%
    Detroit Lions		42	53%
    Houston Texans		42	53%
    Cincinnati Bengals	41	51%
    Indianapolis Colts	41	51%
    StL/LA Rams		41	51%
    Buffalo Bills		39	49%
    SD/LA Chargers		39	49%
    Miami Dolphins		37	46%
    Washington Redskins	35	44%
    Oakland Raiders		32	40%
    Tennessee Titans	32	40%
    Chicago Bears		31	39%
    New York Giants		31	39%
    New York Jets		28	35%
    Tampa Bay Bucs         27	34%
    Jacksonville Jaguars	26	33%
    San Francisco 49ers	25	31%
    Cleveland Browns	18	23%
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

While Price passed his physical and is ready to return to practice, his plantar fasciitis is something that could easily return at any time. Hopefully, the off-season gave his arch the first true rest it's had in many years. If given enough rest, we cross our fingers and hope he gets through a full season. If the Coaching staff was wise about this, they would make sure he gets completely off his feet for two days minimum per week. I would make it three, and thus ensuring that he could get through healthy for every game of the year, at least not missing time because the plantar fasciitus injury flares up due to use without proper rest. Now that he had the long recovery time, it would be stupid to waste the effort and time by putting him back into a normal routine as if the injury is completely healed. They never completely heal.

Anyway, this is good news, and with Zac Taylor in charge, who is fully cognizant of players' injuries and their need for rest and recovery (beyond just pain management, which they still have to play through), Price has a legitimate chance to get through this season healthy and for 16 games.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post

This is sad.

The PGH scouting department consists of a scouting coordinator ,a college scouting coordinator and a college scouting assistant. And EIGHT scouts.

https://www.steelers.com/team/front-office-roster/

The CIN scouting department consists of a college scouting director, a pro scouting director, and a scouting technology consultant. And TWO scouts.

https://www.bengals.com/team/front-office-roster/
    Fiat justitia ruat caleum. Nolo timere. Laus Deo.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    This is sad.

The PGH scouting department consists of a scouting coordinator ,a college scouting coordinator and a college scouting assistant. And EIGHT scouts.

The CIN scouting department consists of a college scouting director, a pro scouting director, and a scouting technology consultant. And TWO scouts.

Actually, the Bengals head of scouting isn't a true head of scouting. He has to split his time with being Director of Player Personnel and Assistant to the G.M. (Owner)

We're Together Again... Bob Sheed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    This is sad.

Only way that gets better is if the NFL makes a rule saying you have to spend a certain amount on scouting.

Otherwise, like all other non-cap related expenditures... it's going to be the bare minimum.
    "Learn what it is that you do. Or we'll find someone else that will."

11. Likes:

North (08-02-2019),RiverRat13 (08-03-2019)

Last two times Marvin Lewis coached against Andy Reid, he was outscored a combined 75-22, an average of 10-3 per quarter.

I'm expecting better results from Zac Taylor when the Starters are in for both teams on Saturday during the first quarter.

Latest power rankings have the Bengals 32 out of 32.

But the bigger story is that the media is ripping off my "Zac Attack" pun. First deadspin, now Doc. I can name my source (Saved By the Bell). Can they?

Lol I kid. Maybe.

Anyway... that's why they play the games, so there is that. But this year's flavor of tiger poop seems to be particularly potent, even by Mike Brown standards.

I was wrong about one thing though. There will be no protests. No bagheads. Because anyone left following this team either knows it won't do any good, or they don't care what flavor poop sandwich Mike Brown has served up, they'll always come back, wallets in hand, hungry for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

I was wrong about one thing though. There will be no protests. No bagheads. Because anyone left following this team either knows it won't do any good, or they don't care what flavor poop sandwich Mike Brown has served up, they'll always come back, wallets in hand, hungry for more.
    I feel for the poor souls in the Bengals ticket sales office. They could move the games to Nippert this year and not have a capacity problem.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Bengals activated another dynamic RB today...1st Round talent, 6th Rd draftee because of injury histories.

Win-win for the Bengals as they can throw quality back after quality back at opponents while making up for a below-average O-Line. Most Defenses...from their front Line to their Linebackers to their Secondary, are designed in body types and styles to stop the pass, so they will be facing sub-par Defenses against the Run almost every single game.

Price could be above average (based on his pedigree of where he was drafted only) and we'll go from there. In preseason, everything is vanilla as they work on fundamentals while there's plenty of room for improvement as the season progresses, so what it is in September won't be an indicator of what it will be in October, November and December.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I feel for the poor souls in the Bengals ticket sales office. They could move the games to Nippert this year and not have a capacity problem.

Take it up with the Director of Sales Analytics... wait for it...

Andrew Brown.

17. Likes:

North (08-09-2019)

Refresh my memory but why did Mack Wilson who many pegged to the Bengals in the second round fall all the way to the 5th?

Two picks tonight for the Browns.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?