Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto has 2 RBI in 100 at bats

Re: Joey Votto has 2 RBI in 100 at bats

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I'll give Votto until the ASB before declaring he's lost it for good, but it doesn't look good right now. This is a game dominated by younger players now, and Votto is closing in on 36.
    OK. Is he lost for good?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I often wonder if some people root for certain players to fail, in order to validate their opinions of that player. Just so they can say I Was Right.

4. Likes:

Big Klu (07-18-2019),CaiGuy (07-18-2019),cumberlandreds (07-22-2019),goreds2 (07-18-2019),HammerTime (07-19-2019),jimbo (07-18-2019),NebraskaRed (07-18-2019),Old school 1983 (07-18-2019),RiverfrontRed (07-18-2019),Wonderful Monds (07-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I often wonder if some people root for certain players to fail, in order to validate their opinions of that player. Just so they can say I Was Right.
    Hey boy! This is a bat! Do you know what the bat's for? LOL

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-18-2019),Norm Chortleton (07-18-2019)

In my case I'm just wondering the age old question, when does it no longer become a small sample size?

In the case of Joey Votto, this site is very defensive of him, to the point that they won't believe what their eyes are telling them. Your post is a good example. Instead of talking about Votto they bring up tangent issues that are personal in nature to other posters. I'm here to directly discuss Votto's on the field performance. His OPS is down 200 pts from his career avg and he's striking out nearly twice as often as he walks, all the while he's hit but 8 HRs in this yr of the juiced ball. This is alarming given someone with his bat control who chokes up like he does.

I get that he's earned more rope than any other Reds player but this will rise to crisis levels if this doesn't improve by next yr.

8. Likes:

mbgrayson (07-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    OK. Is he lost for good?
    .543 OPS in 50 PA so far in July. That's counting a series in Colorado where everyone was killing the ball, and these post ASB games have all been super important. It's sad to say, but if things don't turn around in a hurry Votto could be done. I mean if he ends the year at a .750 OPS or lower does anyone really want him to come back? I can live with an .800 ops, but anything lower than that from 1B is hurting the team.

Votto is what he is...I think his stats for the year will end up right around here. Best to accept that reality now and the pain will be less. Getting old sucks...

11. Likes:

Always Red (07-18-2019),Old school 1983 (07-18-2019)

The biggest change from last year is Votto being way down vs RHP. His OPS has dropped 140 vs RHP this year. It's the same vs LHP as it was last year. So RHP are having way more success vs Votto this year.
    Last edited by JCM11; 07-18-2019 at 11:19 AM.

He keeps choking up on the bat in every situation. He's hit several balls since the ASB that if he didn't choke up, the ball would have left the yard.

Stop choking up when you have tree limbs for forearms sir.

25 mill is too much money for someone who is going to take the bat out of his own hands.

14. Likes:

Sea Ray (07-18-2019)

This has held true on every fan message board I've been on...

16. Likes:

DocRed (07-18-2019),Ron Madden (07-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    He keeps choking up on the bat in every situation. He's hit several balls since the ASB that if he didn't choke up, the ball would have left the yard.

Stop choking up when you have tree limbs for forearms sir.

25 mill is too much money for someone who is going to take the bat out of his own hands.
    Well, if he wasn't choking up he probably doesn't hit those balls the same way.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

18. Likes:

CaiGuy (07-18-2019)

Haunted by walks

Part of it is the Best Player Gets the Most Grief Syndrome. Even Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio got it. But part of is that 36-year-olds do tend to decline.

20. Likes:

DocRed (07-18-2019),Ron Madden (07-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Part of it is the Best Player Gets the Most Grief Syndrome. Even Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio got it. But part of is that 36-year-olds do tend to decline.
    I agree. We are probably seeing a superstar player decline due to age. This is going to continue unless he gets some of them Barry Bonds steroids. So are we supposed to hate on Votto now? Throw him off the team? Boo him? Stop serving him fancy coffee? What?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    I agree. We are probably seeing a superstar player decline due to age. This is going to continue unless he gets some of them Barry Bonds steroids. So are we supposed to hate on Votto now? Throw him off the team? Boo him? Stop serving him fancy coffee? What?
    I'm interested in one thing: The Cincinnati Reds winning ballgames. That means I do whatever is in the best interests of the Reds on the field...and that includes finding his replacement, benching him when that happens, dropping him in the lineup and as fans, most of all admit this: His decline is part of the problem and not part of the solution. In other words, admit that this is a problem and quit making excuses for him like "it's early, he always starts slow, he's already earned his contract..." Those are nothing but excuses and it does nothing to move this team forward. At the very least, if I'm the front office, I'm actively looking for his replacement. I'm no longer penciling him in from now until 2023

23. Likes:

DocRed (07-18-2019),texasdave (07-19-2019)

Ted Williams had an 1.148 ops when he was Votto's age. He followed that with 4 consecutive 1.000+ ops seasons. I'm pretty sure Votto wouldn't be getting grief if he was ops'ing 1.000 right now.

When did Williams decline? He was 1.200 or higher twice after 36 and only had one down year which screams injury since he was great at 41

Turn Off Ads?