Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Peraza

Re: Peraza

If Iglesias continues at his current level of play, IMO he is a keeper. Scooter is going to play when he returns, which leaves Peraza a bench player at best. He is versatile, so maybe he does have a future here in that capacity.

2. Likes:

Chip R (05-16-2019),Revering4Blue (05-16-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I don't think the issue at this point is who is a "keeper" and who isn't. The issue is whether to essentially give up on Peraza by burying him on the bench.

Again, I think it would be a grave mistake to give up on him now and use him very sparingly. It will only serve to hurt his development and destroy his value.

The Reds can rotate players sufficiently to give Peraza, Iglesias, and Dietrich substantial playing time. They should.

This will become more difficult when Gennett returns.

As for the ultimate decisions, they won't be made based on Iglesias' hot performance through May 15. Finances/contract demands will be involved, Scooter's free agency, Iglesias' free agency, Peraza's arbitration salary, Senzel's position, other options at positions. Lots of things.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-16-2019 at 10:45 AM.

5. Likes:

'69 (05-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Zinger View Post
    This post succinctly answered a longstanding question I've had....when is a sample size too small (or no longer too small, really)? Brilliant answer, here, that taught me something. Thanks a ton.
    When it comes to sample size, the trick is realizing that asking the question as "big enough" vs. "too small" frames your thinking in a misleading way. A better question is "how much does this new data change what I already believed to be true?"

The latter question forces you to think more concretely about what it is you're really trying to measure and is always worth asking.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I have to say I was skeptical about Iglesias but I'm a believer now. Save for the last 2 games he's been great in the field. Head and shoulders above Peraza. Peraza was a mensch for switching to 2nd but he really hasn't hit well enough to keep that job. All things being equal, I can't see Iglesias going back to the bench when Scooter returns. Peraza may be the odd man out. It may not be fair but you seriously can't justify putting Peraza back at SS when Iglesias has performed beyond expectations. I actually think - if he has options left - he could be sent down to LOU when Scooter comes back. They could send Farmer down but he's versatile and shown some pop. Peraza could play LF but Dietrich can do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

8. Likes:

JFLegal (05-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I have to say I was skeptical about Iglesias but I'm a believer now. Save for the last 2 games he's been great in the field. Head and shoulders above Peraza. Peraza was a mensch for switching to 2nd but he really hasn't hit well enough to keep that job. All things being equal, I can't see Iglesias going back to the bench when Scooter returns. Peraza may be the odd man out. It may not be fair but you seriously can't justify putting Peraza back at SS when Iglesias has performed beyond expectations. I actually think - if he has options left - he could be sent down to LOU when Scooter comes back. They could send Farmer down but he's versatile and shown some pop. Peraza could play LF but Dietrich can do that.
    Peraza plays LF against lefties. Dietrich won't do that.

At the end of last year Peraza was considered a lock to be shortstop for several years. Just go back and read the posts.

However Reds handle him, the goal should be to get him on track, not to bury him and let him wash out.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot52 View Post
    If Iglesias continues at his current level of play, IMO he is a keeper. Scooter is going to play when he returns, which leaves Peraza a bench player at best. He is versatile, so maybe he does have a future here in that capacity.
    I see what you're seeing but there are other considerations like the fact that Iglesias is 4-5 yrs older and is closer to free agency. This also means his decline is closer. I'd definitely negotiate with his agent and see what it'd take to sign him after this yr

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    However Reds handle him, the goal should be to get him on track, not to bury him and let him wash out.
    Peraza has a career MLB OPS of 0.687 and a career MiLB OPS of 0.726. Where did the idea that he was ever going to be an offensive threat come from?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

12. Likes:

mth123 (05-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Peraza has a career MLB OPS of 0.687 and a career MiLB OPS of 0.726. Where did the idea that he was ever going to be an offensive threat come from?
    Exactly.

Peraza’s career year last season was a 96 OPS+ which is below MLB average. It’s good for a SS, but Iglesias is revealing that Peraza wasn’t a true SS defensively, and is better suited for 2B, and a 96 OPS + isn’t that good for a 2B. And that’s if Peraza reaches his ceiling again, which is looking less likely every day.

14. Likes:

malcontent (05-16-2019)

At the end of last year Peraza was considered a lock to be shortstop for several years. Just go back and read the posts.

I think Peraza is getting at bats every day and sometimes multiple ab’s even when he doesn’t start. I don’t see him getting buried on the bench, even when Scooter returns. He’ll still get occasional starts at 2b, ss, LF, and still be a defensive replacement and pinch hitter. 10-15 ab’s Per week. Is that being buried?

I understand what you’re saying but unless or until Iglesias goes into a prolonged slump I want him starting at SS every day.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Peraza plays LF against lefties.
    He absolutely shouldn’t. Winker should be out there, everyday.

17. Likes:

757690 (05-16-2019),JFLegal (05-16-2019),kaldaniels (05-16-2019),malcontent (05-16-2019),Number_Fourteen (05-16-2019),Revering4Blue (05-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I think Peraza is getting at bats every day and sometimes multiple ab’s even when he doesn’t start. I don’t see him getting buried on the bench, even when Scooter returns. He’ll still get occasional starts at 2b, ss, LF, and still be a defensive replacement and pinch hitter. 10-15 ab’s Per week. Is that being buried?

I understand what you’re saying but unless or until Iglesias goes into a prolonged slump I want him starting at SS every day.
    David Bell seems to be a manager who uses his bench liberally. Bench players generally get one or two starts a week, a couple of PH appearances, and maybe get double-switched into the game once or twice.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Yes, that’s what I’m saying. He won’t be buried. He’ll get playing time, just not as a regular starter.

Probably not but they could put him in LF if Winker needs a break and a RH is pitching.

Unfortunately some guys don't get a second opportunity. I don't think anyone thought at the beginning of the year that Iglesais was going to be anything but a backup. Then Scooter got hurt and he's made the most of his chance. Sometimes it's like that. When the Reds got BP and Scooter, they were just blips on the radar. Not very many people thought they would play well enough to hold down 2nd base for a dozen years. Scooter's going to come back and I'll bet my bottom dollar they won't sit Iglesias for Peraza. Now maybe you don't re-sign Scooter and/or Iglesias and then Peraza gets one of those positions but as of right now he's the odd man out.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    His play last year, particularly in the second half.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-16-2019 at 04:37 PM.

22. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Probably not but they could put him in LF if Winker needs a break and a RH is pitching.

Unfortunately some guys don't get a second opportunity. I don't think anyone thought at the beginning of the year that Iglesais was going to be anything but a backup. Then Scooter got hurt and he's made the most of his chance. Sometimes it's like that. When the Reds got BP and Scooter, they were just blips on the radar. Not very many people thought they would play well enough to hold down 2nd base for a dozen years. Scooter's going to come back and I'll bet my bottom dollar they won't sit Iglesias for Peraza. Now maybe you don't re-sign Scooter and/or Iglesias and then Peraza gets one of those positions but as of right now he's the odd man out.
    I wouldn’t throw value out the window because the player happens not to be the hot item at this moment. Peraza is young, talented, and has succeeded - just last season.

I understand the desire to win now and Iglesias’ hot streak. But the Reds also have to look to the future and keep Peraza moving forward. He’s playing tonight, Reds probably get this.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-16-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Turn Off Ads?