Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Peraza

Peraza

Okay, I seen way too much hate on this guy. I might be a little late to the party (as you can see I just joined and this is the first year I have reeeeaallly been following the reds) but what’s with all the hate on Peraza? From what I can see the man did exceptionally last year and is only 25. At 25 and under new management, to me it seems he’s just going through a translation in his swing and adjusting as he ages. To me, the dude has a lot of potential to grow and I don’t understand why people keep talking about “looking for a better long term solution. I want this thread to be where I can maybe see the side of the negative nellies.
    Statistics are like bikinis - They show a lot but not everything.
    - Lou Piniella

2. Likes:

DocRed (05-07-2019),Stingray (05-07-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Peraza

In my opinion, there is no legitimate argument to move Peraza back to SS when Scooter returns, not with the way Iglesias has been playing. I would even argue that Iglesias has a better glove at SS. Reds are overloaded in the IF and the only solution may be to start making trades.

I didn't mind the Reds trying Peraza in LF yesterday. If he's gonna still be with the team, he needs a spot. Seems like some tough decisions are coming.

5. Likes:

Chip R (05-07-2019)

He's being outplayed by the new guy. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    He's being outplayed by the new guy. Simple.
    When Scooter went down Bell announced that Iglesias was the new SS and Peraza the new 2B. So the competition as of today for Peraza is at 2B. So by the new guy do you mean Dietrich?

When Gennett comes back Peraza has no place to play regularly. He is edged out defensively at SS by Iglesias and isn't that much better a hitter to overcome that edge, while at second his bat is well below Scooter's. Though he may have a small edge defensively, the problem for Jose is the reverse of SS - his glove isn't special enough to overcome the lag in hitting comped to Gennett. Most of the hate for Peraza was pre last season, I think he surprised a lot of his bigger detractors and many have given him props but baseball is fluid. Guys of Peraza's caliber are always on the bubble.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

9. Likes:

mth123 (05-07-2019),RedsGal2018 (05-07-2019)

I like Peraza's defense and he's the only legit backup SS we have. However, after 114 PA he has a sub.500 ops with 3 BB and 24 SO. I think he needs regular at bats to break out of the funk he's in, and I'd prefer those at bats happened in AAA. Right now I don't see any justification in playing him over any of the other options we have on the bench. If he stays on the MLB roster then use him as a late inning defensive replacement/pinch runner who gives Iglesias a day off here and there.

11. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    When Gennett comes back Peraza has no place to play regularly. He is edged out defensively at SS by Iglesias and isn't that much better a hitter to overcome that edge, while at second his bat is well below Scooter's. Though he may have a small edge defensively, the problem for Jose is the reverse of SS - his glove isn't special enough to overcome the lag in hitting comped to Gennett. Most of the hate for Peraza was pre last season, I think he surprised a lot of his bigger detractors and many have given him props but baseball is fluid. Guys of Peraza's caliber are always on the bubble.
    Based on his play last yr he was solidly entrenched at SS. I don't recognize this Peraza. I've never seen him strike out at levels like this before

13. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-07-2019),Redeyecat (05-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    When Scooter went down Bell announced that Iglesias was the new SS and Peraza the new 2B. So the competition as of today for Peraza is at 2B. So by the new guy do you mean Dietrich?
    I disagree. Until the Reds signal that Iglesias is the SS going forward, he is only holding down the spot because that is the only position he plays while Peraza is more versatile. The Reds will have to decide if they plan on extending Iglesias....if they do not plan on taking that action, then I think they put Peraza back at SS. I am not saying I am against Iglesias remaining at SS. I think when Scooter returns, 2nd Base is his to lose. Peraza and Dietrich are excellent bench utility guys. The way Bell rotates guys, being a bench guy on the Reds is really not that different than being a starter. Also, next season, the active roster expands to 26.

Can he close games maybe?
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

16. Likes:

manoffiji (05-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I disagree. Until the Reds signal that Iglesias is the SS going forward, he is only holding down the spot because that is the only position he plays while Peraza is more versatile. The Reds will have to decide if they plan on extending Iglesias....if they do not plan on taking that action, then I think they put Peraza back at SS. I am not saying I am against Iglesias remaining at SS. I think when Scooter returns, 2nd Base is his to lose. Peraza and Dietrich are excellent bench utility guys. The way Bell rotates guys, being a bench guy on the Reds is really not that different than being a starter. Also, next season, the active roster expands to 26.
    So what do you disagree with? My comments had to do with the situation while Scooter is out. Your comments referred to when Scooter comes back

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So what do you disagree with? My comments had to do with the situation while Scooter is out. Your comments referred to when Scooter comes back
    my apologies, I think I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that going forward, Peraza will have to win the 2B position because SS is taken.

since we are talking about the infield, what is the plan with Alex Blandino?

I think most have forgotten that Peraza OPSed close to .600 for the first two months of 2018 before catching fire for the rest of the year. It could be that he is simply a very slow starter. I am by no means excusing his performance and am very disappointed with him thus far, but I do expect him to pick it up again as the season wears on. But he’s going to have to earn his way back by playing super-sub while the team rides the hot hand with Iglesias at SS and Dietrich at 2B.

21. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless Jeff View Post
    Can he close games maybe?
    Hilarious...but for real, can he?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    since we are talking about the infield, what is the plan with Alex Blandino?
    Seems like he has a ways to go still and then my guess is AAA.

24. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-08-2019)

Turn Off Ads?