Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Season as Golf Thread ---2019 Version

Reds Season as Golf Thread ---2019 Version

I've also enjoyed these breakdowns in the past. The basics:

the season is broken into 18 sets of nine games, each set representing one “hole.” The team’s record over those nine games determines their score to par on each hole. 5-4 represents par = do that 18 times and you have a 90-win season. An extra loss results in a bogey, an extra win is a birdie. 162 game season breaks down neatly into 18 holes. We four holes in and trying to recover from a disastrous tee shot on hole 1 that put a spectator in the hospital and found the water twice...

How have the Reds scored so far this year?

Hole 1: 1-8 --- the dreaded snowman (+4 overall )
    Hole 2: 5-4 ---Par (+4 overall)

Real life record: 6-12

Hole 3: 5-4 --- Par (+4 overall)

Real life record: 11-16

Hole 4: 4-5 --- Bogey (+5 overall)

Real life record: 15-21

Hole 5: underway 3-2 so far - four games to go to complete the hole. Our drive is off the fairway but in the short cut. Tough hole though, need a good iron to a green where the pin is protected...

Digging out from a snowman on the first hole is hard. Need to string together some birdies. Remember, par over a 162 game season is 72 losses.

I will try to keep this one updated throughout the year.

The last four years the Reds have been golf score of +22 or so. Really, not great.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-13-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-16-2019),Kingspoint (05-24-2019),OhioRiverBarge (05-16-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Season as Golf Thread ---2019 Version

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I've also enjoyed these breakdowns in the past. The basics:

the season is broken into 18 sets of nine games, each set representing one “hole.” The team’s record over those nine games determines their score to par on each hole. 5-4 represents par = do that 18 times and you have a 90-win season. An extra loss results in a bogey, an extra win is a birdie. 162 game season breaks down neatly into 18 holes. We four holes in and trying to recover from a disastrous tee shot on hole 1 that put a spectator in the hospital and found the water twice...

How have the Reds scored so far this year?

Hole 1: 1-8 --- the dreaded snowman (+4 overall )
    Hole 2: 5-4 ---Par (+4 overall)

Real life record: 6-12

Hole 3: 5-4 --- Par (+4 overall)

Real life record: 11-16

Hole 4: 4-5 --- Bogey (+5 overall)

Real life record: 15-21

Hole 5: underway 3-2 so far - four games to go to complete the hole. Our drive is off the fairway but in the short cut. Tough hole though, need a good iron to a green where the pin is protected...

Digging out from a snowman on the first hole is hard. Need to string together some birdies. Remember, par over a 162 game season is 90 wins. It's a REALLY tough golf course.

I will try to keep this one updated throughout the year.

The last four years the Reds have been golf score of +22 or so. Really, not great.
    90 wins = 72 losses

So if you look at the loss total, it's a par-72 course.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    90 wins = 72 losses

So if you look at the loss total, it's a par-72 course.
    D'oh! Yes. Thanks.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

6. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-16-2019)

Can they get a mulligan, and start over.

4-3 so far on this hole - lining up a long birdie putt - would be sweet to knock this one in from 35 feet (win two in a row) and birdie. Just don't want to 3 putt it...
    Last edited by membengal; 05-16-2019 at 09:58 AM.

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-16-2019),Kingspoint (05-16-2019)

So when do we just start hitting the beer in the cooler hard and just drive around over the course?

11. Likes:

fielder's choice (05-16-2019),Kingspoint (05-16-2019)

I’d say it’s a pretty straight 35 foot putt. Just need to hit it (lol, get it? The bats?) and put the rest of the trust in our ole reliable putter (Castillo).
    Statistics are like bikinis - They show a lot but not everything.
    - Lou Piniella

Quote Originally Posted by Junkerson View Post
    I’d say it’s a pretty straight 35 foot putt. Just need to hit it (lol, get it? The bats?) and put the rest of the trust in our ole reliable putter (Castillo).
    They need to win today and tomorrow for the birdie (a 6-3 record for this set). I am hoping that Castillo gets the putt off on a good line with good speed...

This really is a great analogy to breakdown the schedule.
    I'm delighted when i see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-16-2019)

Big win - attempted birdie putt rolling with good pace toward the hole - tomorrow’s game will tell us if it is in the hole or just short. 5-3 so far on this nine game set. 6-3 would be oh so sweet to make the first birdie of the season.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-16-2019),Ron Madden (05-16-2019)

Hole 5 - PAR. 5-4 record.

Season golf record remains +5. (the quadruple bogey on opening hole, one bogey and 3 pars)

Real life record after 45 games is 20-25.

Hole 6 is nasty - nine games is two against Dodgers at home, two against Brewers on road, 3 against Cubs on road and the day night DH against the Pirates on Memorial Day. Need to get the tee shot into the fairway, otherwise all sorts of trouble on this hole.

19. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-17-2019)

To put in perspective the hole they dug themselves in the first nine games - they would need to "birdie" the next five holes to get back to par for the season (and a pace for 90 wins) - and five birdies in a row would be a 30-15 record over 45 games (just short of a .670 winning percentage). That's...not easy (108 win pace over 162 games is what that ask is). 1-8 was really a problem.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-17-2019 at 10:03 PM.

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-17-2019)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    So when do we just start hitting the beer in the cooler hard and just drive around over the course?
    I’m already there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

2-2 on this current 9 game "hole" so far. Par would be nice. This hole is brutal.

Oooo, the drive that looked right off the tee is in the short cut - have a good chance to get on the green in regulation still on hole 6.

25. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-24-2019)

Turn Off Ads?