Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Barnhart

Re: Barnhart

casali is better than barnhart, imo. and thank goodness tyler stephenson is having a good year in chattanooga. (not a great year, but a good one. he's likely the catcher of the future.)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why are you cutting off at .330? Barnhart is sub .300 OBP so far this year.
    Cutoff of what I consider decent.

We’ve seen this time and time again with Casali.

A backup, who only plays when the matchup is right, looks good. That earns him more starts, he gets exposed against all kids of pitchers and defenses, the league figure him out, and his production plummets.

Nothing against Casali, but there is a reason why the Reds were able to purchase him from the Rays with no talent going back.
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini

5. Likes:

CaiGuy (05-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Barnhart is a great backup catcher. Hes a starting caliber catcher...on a lousy team. You can certainly do worse, but you can also certainly do better. A winning team would be looking to do better than Barnhart as the starting catcher.
    Yup.

Still can't believe I had to actually argue on here that Realmuto would be a clear and significant upgrade during the offseason.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

7. Likes:

cincyinco (05-16-2019),Edd Roush (05-16-2019),Griffey012 (05-15-2019),Old school 1983 (05-15-2019),RedTeamGo! (05-15-2019),Tracy Jones (05-15-2019)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Im not offended or anything, I just think this is a Reds message board and Tucker Barnhart is the worst hitter on the Reds and him being a subject of discussion is worthwhile. If he continues to stink, I am curious what folks think the reds should do. You can hid a poor hitting catcher, but not one this bad.
    Barnhart's still OPSing 28 points more than Peraza. In no way do I mean that as a defense of Barnhart (I agree Casali should be getting at least half the starts), I'm just a refugee from the Peraza thread.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yup.

Still can't believe I had to actually argue on here that Realmuto would be a clear and significant upgrade during the offseason.
    Was anyone arguing against that?

The calculus was which do you prefer?

Two years of Realmuto or

6-7 years of Senzel and three years of Barnhart.

10. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (05-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Two years of Realmuto or

The arguments were not about the trade package (of which Senzel was never seriously discussed), it was about how much of an 'upgrade' Realmuto was. You, among others, were convinced the gulf between Barnhart and Realmuto was not that significant.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-16-2019),fondfoat (05-16-2019),Griffey012 (05-15-2019),membengal (05-15-2019),OGB (05-15-2019),Old school 1983 (05-15-2019),RedTeamGo! (05-15-2019)

Yup.

Bahaha...I was about to reference that thread myself, and then pat myself on the back again.

- - - Updated - - -

Two years of Realmuto or

Go find the nearest mirror and tell me what you see. That will answer your question. That being said, you were certainly not one of the worst offenders.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 05-15-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Yes. Many.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-15-2019)

The arguments were not about the trade package (of which Senzel was never seriously discussed), it was about how much of an 'upgrade' Realmuto was. You, among others, were convinced the gulf between Barnhart and Realmuto was not that significant.
    Replace Senzel with Trammel then. I did argue that a package around India or someone similar was fair, so I clearly considered it a significant upgrade.

Replace Senzel with Trammel then. I did argue that a package around India or someone similar was fair, so I clearly considered it a significant upgrade.
    I don’t seem much of a difference in value bereeen four seasons of Barnhart and two seasons of Realmuto. There’s a difference, but not a big one. India and Barnhart would be the most I’d go.

There really is no need to make the move, so no need to overpay.

Servo, thank you for making my point. That is exactly what I said I said. No one was saying Realmuto wasn’t an upgrade over Barnhart as you claimed.

I also skimmed over the Realmuto thread and all I could find were claims like mine that there was no need to overpay, or that the Reds should use this resources to get pitching instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. Many.
    Here’s the thread.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...in-on-Realmuto

Point out the many who said Realmuto was not an upgrade over Barnhart.

Servo, thank you for making my point. That is exactly what I said I said. No one was saying Realmuto wasn’t an upgrade over Barnhart as you claimed.

I also skimmed over the Realmuto thread and all I could find were claims like mine that there was no need to overpay, or that the Reds should use this resources to get pitching instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Here’s the thread.

Point out the many who said Realmuto was not an upgrade over Barnhart.
    He said “clear and significant upgrade” which Realmuto clearly was and is.

You said “there’s a difference, but not a big one.”

There is a big difference between Realmuto and Barnhart. Realmuto is one of the best catchers in baseball. Barnhart should probably be a platoon or backup catcher.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-16-2019),Tom Servo (05-15-2019),wolfboy (05-15-2019)

He said “clear and significant upgrade” which Realmuto clearly was and is.

You said “there’s a difference, but not a big one.”

There is a big difference between Realmuto and Barnhart. Realmuto is one of the best catchers in baseball. Barnhart should probably be a platoon or backup catcher.
    I said there wasn't a significant difference between two years of Realmuto and four years of Barnhart. Meaning there wasn't a significant difference between twice as much of Barnhart as Realmuto.

I did think there was enough of a difference to offer the Reds recent #1 draft pick, so clearly I thought there was a clear difference and an upgrade, even with the double amount of team control.

Edit: This response from so many posters may explain a lot. If they incorrectly thought I or anyone did not see Realmuto as meaningful upgrade, I can understand their pushback. But that just is another example of what happens so frequently here, people misunderstand what a poster is arguing and that is misunderstanding is what the big debate is about.
    Last edited by 757690; 05-15-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    wait, what does him being from indiana have to do with anything? since when do reds fans care about that? sure, reds fans from indiana might care, but most of the reds' fanbase is in the cincy metro area (including northern kentucky of course), dayton, parts of columbus, a big chunk of eastern ohio (athens/marietta) and also west-central ohio (lima area), all of lexington, etc.

the state of indiana is much, much more of cubs territory. indianapolis (the only big city in indiana) is crawling with cubs fans, and you can't find many reds fans there.
    I'm from Indianapolis and actually went to school (6th grade - Senior Year) with his father. You'll find quite a large contingent of Reds' fans here.

That being said I agree with you that it doesn't matter much that Barnhart is from Indiana.

Turn Off Ads?