Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Is it just me or do the celebrations get annoying to anyone else?

Re: Is it just me or do the celebrations get annoying to anyone else?

I want to see everyone do that.
    Go Gators!

2. Likes:

M2 (05-17-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    For what reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    For what reason?
    The joy of the game.
    Go Gators!

On an up note, there was no celebrating tonight so the thread originator will be happy.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

7. Likes:

goreds2 (Yesterday),OGB (05-17-2019),Ron Madden (05-17-2019)

Just for clarification, suck at pitching or crosstraining?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Just for clarification, suck at pitching or crosstraining?
    The Reds..crosstraining, the opponents can suck at pitching.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    And would you say Pete Rose was the exception, or the rule?

(He was the exception. And, by many, thought to be "low class" because of it.)

Look... you can try to paint the picture that back in the day it was all Pete Rose's and Billy "White Shoes" Johnsons or whatever. But it wasn't.

Back then, humility was thought of as a strength. Showing off, was low class, at best.

Of course, there were moments when acknowledging accomplishments was acceptable. Kirk Gibson doing the fist pump or whatever that was, comes to mind. There are many such examples. But the typical thing to do, lended more to stoicism, than bravado.

Not anymore. Stoicism is lonnnnng gone. But no question, it did used to exist.

I find it tasteless to do the moonwalk and high five yourself every time you make a good play. But that's antiquated thinking, I am well aware. It's all about "look at me, me, me" these days, which is to be expected, given that everyone is raised to be a special little snowflake. I think it's a better alternative than munching on lead paint while playing in traffic, for the record.
    ^^^^

If the above post isn't satire then there is something seriously wrong. Please Bob, admit it's satire and you weren't that out of touch during the 70's-80's.

11. Likes:

M2 (Yesterday)

Man, stoicism is for real life. Real life is hard.

Sports, no. God, no. Keep robots out of my entertainment as much as possible.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

Worth The Wait

This is more observation than complaint or commentary: It seems the walk-off celebration has became forced. I think it’s a little weird that the only time a team truly “celebrates” a non-clinching win is when they win in walk off fashion. It’s just kind of odd/funny to me. It’s just a “thing” now. You can be down 10-0, score 11 in the bottom of 8th, then close it in the 9th and everyone will just line up and calmly shake hands, high five, etc. But if it’s 2-2 in the 9th and there are bases loaded, no outs, and a guy draws a walk, he will get swarmed/jumped and the team will go all through the “walk off” motions. So sometimes for me it just comes off as forced or disingenuous, but it certainly doesn’t bother me.

14. Likes:

Big Klu (Yesterday),Todd Gack (Yesterday)

It kind of makes me wonder what the next last place team who has a huge comeback to win the WS is gonna do..Sacrifice a virgin on the pitchers mound or something? I think that's what the Reds did in the off season.. Anyway...3 hits today against a 39 year old guy with a knee brace on... Yeah...celebrate!

The joy of the game.
    And to emphasize the importance of physical fitness.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Turn Off Ads?