Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or do the celebrations get annoying to anyone else?

Re: Is it just me or do the celebrations get annoying to anyone else?

When you have had a death grip on the cellar for years you have to find your jollies where you can.

2. Likes:

Chip R (05-16-2019),North (05-16-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I remember the last time the Reds made the playoffs, they didn't celebrate...they were going to celebrate when they won the next stage..a celebration that never happened.

My father-in-law ate dessert first after having nine ships blown out from under her during WWII. His message was always one of "celebrate like there's no tomorrow..there might not be one."

Celebrate away boys!

5. Likes:

Chip R (05-16-2019),Hoosier Red (05-16-2019),M2 (05-16-2019),RichRed (05-17-2019),Ron Madden (05-16-2019),Roy Tucker (05-17-2019)

"Stop being happy" is rarely a good take.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

7. Likes:

CySeymour (05-16-2019),Griffey012 (05-16-2019),HammerTime (05-16-2019),membengal (05-16-2019),OGB (05-17-2019),Revering4Blue (05-16-2019),Ron Madden (05-16-2019),Roy Tucker (05-17-2019),TheBigLebowski (05-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    The last thing I want is for the team I root for to show joy. I want them to react to each moment like its the end of Old Yeller. Anything else is an abomination.

Am I doing this right?
    When they play like they have the hydrophobia, they need to be held accountable rather than allowed joy without penance.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

9. Likes:

Chip R (05-16-2019)

Meh, I find it refreshing that a bunch of guys making mega millions a year celebrate a victory. At least it shows they care about more than just the money.

Now the NFL, that's another story. They celebrate every sack, first down, TD, interception, fumble recovery, complete pass, good punt, good return etc... as an "in your face" to the opposing team. Of course, almost half of all those celebrations can be fast forwarded an hour give or take to the same players dejectedly walking off the field with their heads down because other than those few positive plays, there were more of the opposite and they lost the game. I think it would be great if after every NFL loss they would put together a montage of all the celebrations by the losing team and then end it with them walking off the field losers. That might be embarrassing enough to stop it.

11. Likes:

gagliano (05-16-2019)

TIL Im the only poster on here under 40, and y'all are some miserable S.O.B.s. Complain when we lose, complain when celebrate a win, "but its those damn kids' fault!!"

13. Likes:

Chip R (05-16-2019),CySeymour (05-16-2019),HammerTime (05-16-2019),Ron Madden (05-16-2019)

I'm far from yelling at clouds. I enjoy rain after all. I'm not at all opposed to players being excited, but there are limits in my mind when you're in last place and the day before you could only muster 3 hits against a 84 mph fastball. Bring us first place in the standings sometime between now and September and I'll be very excited and ready to see them all go ballistic with celebrations. In the meantime it feels kind of like a big nothing burger over 1 game still in dead last with a team batting average to match.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    When they play like they have the hydrophobia, they need to be held accountable rather than allowed joy without penance.
    Nor without Pennants.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Well said Mr. Hall Of Fame Announcer
    Hey...that's my sarcastic response...

That being said, "act like you've been there before" is long long gone and replaced with "bravado!!! I'm the man!!! look how awesome I am!!!"

It is what it is.

Speaking of things to complain about...Doc had some pretty funny ones in today's TML:

I’m talking about pitchers and hitters who take their sweet time.

I’m watching MPWS the other night, at AZ. The D-backs have a catcher named Alex Avila. Alex spent so much time out of the batter’s box, he should have built himself a timeshare, right there next to the plate. You could eat four courses at The Precinct in the time it took this guy to take one at-bat.

He adjusted his batting gloves, he took a few practice swings, he banged the pretend dirt from the bottom of his cleats. He wiped the sweat from his forehead, then scanned the field, noting all the places he wouldn’t get a hit.

In two out of three games v. AZ, the Pirates starting pitchers threw 30-plus pitches in the 1st inning. Some of it was because Nick Kingham and Chris Archer needed a Sherpa and a GPS to locate the strike zone. As much was, hitters fouled off everything close.

These “epic" ABs are the baseball equivalent of pouring bacon grease down the kitchen sink.
    I'm gonna miss Doc when he finally hangs up his pen. He'll be replaced with a yes man, or, more likely, no one at all. That too, is what it is.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 05-16-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

17. Likes:

gagliano (05-16-2019),Number_Fourteen (05-16-2019),Todd Gack (05-16-2019)

Well..there's no business like show business.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    "Stop being happy" is rarely a good take.
    I don't think that's the take the OP was trying to make. And it wasn't about being 'robots.' I disagree with the poster, but that's certainly not his take. I do think there's a level of 'too much' in regards to celebrating but last night's wasn't much different than we've seen.

Frankly I've been looking forward to one of these for a very very long time. This is a new team with new blood and there is a different kind of vibe on display from all of them. Not sure if it's the Puig factor, the Dietrich factor, or something else but I love to see it. The one thing I find funny though is the home run celebrations are all planned out because each person has something different depending on the player and they often seem to change.

Also like to see the water dousing too just to catch the reactions from the players and who actually is involved- it appears to be a team effort on the hijinks, so hopefully the guys are all fairly loose and it carries over to even more wins on the field and at least keeping them out of the cellar this year.
    Last edited by DonutBoy; 05-16-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    I watched the last inning after the game on mlb.tv and the celebration and mugging of Puig after the game winner.. Now don't get me wrong, being happy is fine, but it's mid May, not the game winner in 7th game of the world series. I remember when the BRM players just shook hands after a win and went on their merry ways. These guys all act like they won the World Series, the Super Bowl, the NBA championships and the Stanley Cup in mid May.. It just feels over the top celebrating one game when they're in dead last place still early in the season.
    Hey, make it to first place then celebrate.. Last place is nothing to wildly celebrate about IMO.. Then again maybe I'm just getting too old..
    Walk-offs are different than regular wins so... no I never get tired of a walk-off celebration.

22. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    TIL Im the only poster on here under 40, and y'all are some miserable S.O.B.s. Complain when we lose, complain when celebrate a win, "but its those damn kids' fault!!"
    I'm 21, you're not alone.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Quote Originally Posted by Qball View Post
    It's the participation trophy, everyone has a birthday party thrown every year, generation. Now, get off my lawn!!
    annual birthday parties are bad for kids now?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

25. Likes:

BoxingRed (05-16-2019),Hoosier Red (05-16-2019),OGB (05-17-2019),Wonderful Monds (05-16-2019)

Turn Off Ads?