Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or do the celebrations get annoying to anyone else?

Re: Is it just me or do the celebrations get annoying to anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Remember back in the day when no one celebrated?

That's a strange baseball uniform.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Remember back in the day when no one celebrated?

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

Rolando (05-17-2019)

Bravado, in baseball, was the exception, not the rule.

Showing someone up, used to be, at the very least, in poor taste, even if it was amusing.

It was a different time.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by faffy42 View Post
    i for one have always played by the motto "act like you've been there before"... but thats me.
    Have any of us been there before when it comes to hitting a walkoff in a MLB game? Yasiel Puig has. He's been there before. So, in that situation, act like Yasiel Puig.

7. Likes:

Chip R (05-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Number looks familiar! in all seriousness I think it's great when they celebrate a win and enjoy themselves. Now I don't like seeing any of the silliness when your losing during the game. but have fun when you win it's sports!
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Bravado, in baseball, was the exception, not the rule.

Showing someone up, used to be, at the very least, in poor taste, even if it was amusing.

It was a different time.
    Except when Pete Rose did it ... all ... the ... time. Kids, the past did not suck nearly as much as some people might want to convince you it sucked.

Except when Pete Rose did it ... all ... the ... time. Kids, the past did not suck nearly as much as some people might want to convince you it sucked.
    And would you say Pete Rose was the exception, or the rule?

(He was the exception. And, by many, thought to be "low class" because of it.)

Look... you can try to paint the picture that back in the day it was all Pete Rose's and Billy "White Shoes" Johnsons or whatever. But it wasn't.

Back then, humility was thought of as a strength. Showing off, was low class, at best.

Of course, there were moments when acknowledging accomplishments was acceptable. Kirk Gibson doing the fist pump or whatever that was, comes to mind. There are many such examples. But the typical thing to do, lended more to stoicism, than bravado.

Not anymore. Stoicism is lonnnnng gone. But no question, it did used to exist.

I find it tasteless to do the moonwalk and high five yourself every time you make a good play. But that's antiquated thinking, I am well aware. It's all about "look at me, me, me" these days, which is to be expected, given that everyone is raised to be a special little snowflake. I think it's a better alternative than munching on lead paint while playing in traffic, for the record.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 05-17-2019 at 04:13 PM.

11. Likes:

westofyou (05-17-2019)

Look... you can try to paint the picture that back in the day it was all Pete Rose's and Billy "White Shoes" Johnsons or whatever. But it wasn't.

Back then, humility was thought of as a strength. Showing off, was low class, at best.

Of course, there were moments when acknowledging accomplishments was acceptable. Kirk Gibson doing the fist pump or whatever that was, comes to mind. There are many such examples. But the typical thing to do, lended more to stoicism, than bravado.

I find it tasteless to do the moonwalk and high five yourself every time you make a good play. But that's antiquated thinking, I am well aware. It's all about "look at me, me, me" these days, which is to be expected.
    Or they are having fun with their teammates and like to try to pump them up in order to get some momentum going.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Or they are having fun with their teammates and like to try to pump them up in order to get some momentum going.
    Again, I get why.

And I'm not even saying anything is wrong with it.

But no question, that is not how it was. Not by a longshot.

"When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." -Paul Brown

Kind of like that.

Sounds like a foreign language to read that quote these days. What was his problem?!

Bird, Spaceman, the Mad Hungarian, Goose (who used to shout at hitters after he whiffed them, but now pretends otherwise), Mickey, Rickey, Jeff Leonard with the flap down, Ozzie doing backflips, Le Grand Orange, Super Joe, Fernando Mania, "We Are Family", Mr. October. I could go on all day. Swagger, bravado and celebration was all over the 70s and '80s. The whole sport was showing off. It was great. Maybe the '60s sucked. I don't know. My time in that decade was spent mostly in diapers.

15. Likes:

OGB (05-17-2019),Redsfaithful (05-18-2019),Tadasimha (05-17-2019)

I find it tasteless to do the moonwalk and high five yourself every time you make a good play. But that's antiquated thinking, I am well aware. It's all about "look at me, me, me" these days, which is to be expected, given that everyone is raised to be a special little snowflake. I think it's a better alternative than munching on lead paint while playing in traffic, for the record.
    Truth be told I agree with Bob.

Mostly because that's the way I was raised to play the game, that said I'm not the most demonstrative person when things are good or bad.

But if they want to do it post game go ahead, once the game is over I turn it off. I don't watch celebrations, I don't watch post games interviews, I move on to the next game or something else.

17. Likes:

North (05-17-2019),Roy Tucker (05-18-2019)

Bird, Spaceman, the Mad Hungarian, Goose (who used to shout at hitters after he whiffed them, but now pretends otherwise), Mickey, Rickey, Jeff Leonard with the flap down, Ozzie doing backflips, Le Grand Orange, Super Joe, Fernando Mania, "We Are Family", Mr. October. I could go on all day. Swagger, bravado and celebration was all over the 70s and '80s. The whole sport was showing off. It was great. Maybe the '60s sucked. I don't know. My time in that decade was spent mostly in diapers.
    The Ickey Shuffle, etc, etc, etc.

Plenty of examples of bravado, that, at the time, was generally viewed as low class, albeit amusing. "The whole sport was showing off?" Ummm, no. Certainly not baseball, as a general rule.

Showing off wasn't invented in the 21st Century. That's not what I'm saying. Showing off, as an every day, every play thing, most assuredly was.

19. Likes:

Todd Gack (05-17-2019)

The Ickey Shuffle, etc, etc, etc.

Plenty of examples of bravado, that, at the time, was generally viewed as low class, albeit amusing. "The whole sport was showing off?" Ummm, no. Certainly not baseball, as a general rule.

Showing off wasn't invented in the 21st Century. That's not what I'm saying. Showing off, as an every day, every play thing, most assuredly was.
    You were paying insufficient attention. In NL cities other than Cincinnati, the BRM was despised because when they beat you they rubbed your nose in it too. They weren't alone (just better, so they got to lord it over you more often). In fact, old timers moaned like crazy in the '70s about what they perceived to be constant disrespect in the game. You're acting like it was the 1930s, and it was nothing of the sort. You're talking about exactly the point in history where baseball slathered on the style.

I think you're remembering how dour Little League was. MLB was pretty entertaining.
    Last edited by M2; 05-17-2019 at 04:57 PM.

They call me "chef"

Not many people know this but baseball actually originated in Great Britain. Back then, it was actually called "afternoon tea" and a lot of the rules were different (instead of playing on a baseball field, you'd play it in a dining room) and there was no baseball at all in the beginning. But the main spirit of the game, such as maintaining an upright posture and silencing any disagreeable sounds from all orifices of one's body, were there.

22. Likes:

Crumbley (05-17-2019),M2 (05-17-2019),OGB (05-17-2019),Redsfaithful (05-18-2019)

Turn Off Ads?