Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2019-2020

Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    The thing that has always stuck out in my mind regarding the Wiseman story is irregardless of the NCAA violation, Hardaway and the Wisemans had to know they were breaking the high school rules. There is no world where a public high school coach can pay for a player's family to move into his/her district. Even the most outspoken voices about paying the players or hating the NCAA would not want public high schools allowed to recruit and compensate players. There is a massive trickle down impact on communities and opportunities lost for local student athletes.
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ol-state-title
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Buckeyes win by 25. Carton is legit.

Might need to bring back the Buckeye Hoops thread...
    Done!
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Listened to the 1995 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.
    Watched the 2013 Playoff Clincher on FSO - Fiance' is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

Anyone know what's going on with Jarron Cumberland? Coach Brannen is being very coy:

Cincinnati basketball star Jarron Cumberland did not play in Thursday against Alabama A&M for an undisclosed reason, a UC spokesperson told The Enquirer.

Cumberland did not dress out in uniform and watched from the bench.

"It was coach's decision," said Bearcats' coach John Brannen said. "I made a decision prior to the game that he wouldn't be playing tonight. That's pretty much all I have on that."
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...-m/4196678002/

I thought before the season this years WVU team was being overlooked. Huggins added some perfect pieces via transfer/junior college and had a ready to contribute freshman class that he was adding to a group that finished strong last season. After watching them play against Pitt last night, and expecting them to only improve with experience, I am convinced this is a Top 25 team that will not be an easy night for any team.

I thought before the season this years WVU team was being overlooked. Huggins added some perfect pieces via transfer/junior college and had a ready to contribute freshman class that he was adding to a group that finished strong last season. After watching them play against Pitt last night, and expecting them to only improve with experience, I am convinced this is a Top 25 team that will not be an easy night for any team.
    They’ll run through the non conference and be discussed as a 1-2 seed, have some hiccups in the Big 12, make the tournament as a 4-5 seed and lose
    in the Sweet 16.

Oscar is a beast though. Wish Kentucky would have gotten him.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    They’ll run through the non conference and be discussed as a 1-2 seed, have some hiccups in the Big 12, make the tournament as a 4-5 seed and lose
    in the Sweet 16.

Oscar is a beast though. Wish Kentucky would have gotten him.
    Big 12 is tough...they have a huge game against Ohio State on 12/29. Sweet 16 would be a huge success after last season.....especially since they would expect to return almost everyone for another season, and most of them for 2-3 more seasons. Both Freshmen this season are studs, but not sure how long Oscar will be around. Both JC transfers have another year (McNeal has 2 more after this year) and their core from last season Culver, Matthews, McCabe and Knapper are all just Sophomores this year. On top of that, we have Jalen Bridges red shirting this season who is a 4 Star guy that may end up being better than all of them. I said this summer this group has a chance to make a Final 4 run before they leave WVU.

Great to see Tennessee handle #20 Washington last night in smooth fashion. Coach Barnes is doing what he does: coach guys up. Lots of improvement from several players from last year. The Vols lost 3 to the NBA draft and a 4th signed with the Heat so all in all they lost 4 guys who are now signed with NBA teams. They also "lost" a 7' guy who the NCAA is making sit out per transfer rules...which brings up a point here: I get that there are time their rules state that a player must sit out but what I don't get is why this sit out year counts as a year of eligibility. This guy is a freshman yet as I understand it he'll be a soph next yr 'cause he redshirted for ASU last year. If they make you sit, fine but why do you lose a yr of eligibility because their rules, not team rules are forcing it? Whatever, I'm just very pleasantly surprised to see the Vols decent and worth watching this yr. I counted on a full on rebuild in 2019-20.

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-17-2019)

Tennessee is 20th in today's AP poll. Sure didn't expect them to be ranked so soon this year. Kinda surprised that UC didn't get a single vote. The Vols have a very challenging out of conference schedule. They just played Washington and they still have Wisconsin, Florida St , Memphis and UC to come

better late than never....

Today the NCAA ruled University of Arkansas transfer Gabe Osabuohien immediately eligible at WVU! The Junior 6'8" Combo Forward is known for his versatile defense, and fills the only real void on this WVU roster....combo forward depth behind Emmit Matthews. He should be a part of the rotation immediately playing the 4 when WVU does not go with the twin big (Culver/Tshiebwe) lineup. Many assumed the waiver was not coming since it did not arrive before the season began.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-22-2019)

better late than never....

Today the NCAA ruled University of Arkansas transfer Gabe Osabuohien immediately eligible at WVU! The Junior 6'8" Combo Forward is known for his versatile defense, and fills the only real void on this WVU roster....combo forward depth behind Emmit Matthews. He should be a part of the rotation immediately playing the 4 when WVU does not go with the twin big (Culver/Tshiebwe) lineup. Many assumed the waiver was not coming since it did not arrive before the season began.
    Cool. Tennessee would like to hear similar news on their 7' center Uros Plavsic

I saw that Wiseman was cleared to play after an 11 game suspension and will have to pay back over $11,000. What I would like to know is how is he getting $11,000 to payback?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I saw that Wiseman was cleared to play after an 11 game suspension and will have to pay back over $11,000. What I would like to know is how is he getting $11,000 to payback?
    Maybe from the same place he got it in the first place. I suppose he or his parents could get a loan and use his future NBA stardom as collateral. A shoe company could give him the money under the table - sort of an advance for signing a contract with them.

What I'm wondering - and no one else is asking - is how does it cost $11.5K to move from Nashville to Memphis?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I understand he has 4 years to donate $11k to charity. I think he'll have the funds legitimately over that time period.

17. Likes:

Chip R (11-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I understand he has 4 years to donate $11k to charity. I think he'll have the funds legitimately over that time period.
    See, I was thinking that the term "throughout the duration of the student-athlete's eligibility" meant just through this season because he's probably going to go pro after this season. I wasn't thinking four years (although technically it could be five.) So, technically he could give the charity $1 now and the rest after he signs. Who is to say though the charity is legit? For all we know he could be giving it to The Human Fund. Of his parents or his lawyer could set up a charity and he'd donate to that.

I'm no UK fan but at least Cal hasn't been giving money to recruits' families for "moving expenses."
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

I'm no UK fan but at least Cal hasn't been giving money to recruits' families for "moving expenses."
    No, but I'm sure a number of his recruits are getting payments from shoe companies. It is what it is.

20. Likes:

Chip R (11-21-2019)

Turn Off Ads?