Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 300

Thread: College Basketball 2019-2020

  1. #46
    Member Rojo Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,931

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Kerry Blackshear to Florida.

    Donít remember any recruit being pegged so many different directions before the team was announced. Last week Kentucky was the favorite, earlier in the week Tennessee.
    That was tough to follow but a couple of UF guys I get information from who are connected to the staff never wavered during the process. They weren't always certain it would be us, just that we were never really out of it like everyone else claimed. I'd say it was around last Sunday they were 95% certain it was a done deal. I thought about posting something but I learned my lesson when I was being told Chip Kelly was a sure thing and I ran my mouth on here. Ultimately the only two schools that made sense were UF and UK. The late push and potential to return to VT was a little concerning at the end but the kid probably made the best choice. Nothing against UK, we just have the better fit right now.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,501

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    That was tough to follow but a couple of UF guys I get information from who are connected to the staff never wavered during the process. They weren't always certain it would be us, just that we were never really out of it like everyone else claimed. I'd say it was around last Sunday they were 95% certain it was a done deal. I thought about posting something but I learned my lesson when I was being told Chip Kelly was a sure thing and I ran my mouth on here. Ultimately the only two schools that made sense were UF and UK. The late push and potential to return to VT was a little concerning at the end but the kid probably made the best choice. Nothing against UK, we just have the better fit right now.
    I donít disagree, heís in a good spot regardless.

    Blackshear gave Florida what they were lacking, a big man for a final four run. Kentucky will be fine with Montgomery and Nick Richards, but having extra depth would have been nice.

    Still sucks losing two top players to Florida: Scottie Lewis and now Blackshear.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  4. #48
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ebron-responds

    So Lebron James isn't a fan of the new rules for agents representing NCAA athletes. The NCAA is trying to make some positive changes, albeit after being called out by Condy Rice. I really get tired of Lebron adding his 2 cents worth of opinion and whining about things. This dude is a baby. Top 5 NBA player of all time...YES....Top 5 NBA whiner of all time.....YES!!!
    I'm out...like a fat kid in dodgeball

  5. #49
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,501

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ebron-responds

    So Lebron James isn't a fan of the new rules for agents representing NCAA athletes. The NCAA is trying to make some positive changes, albeit after being called out by Condy Rice. I really get tired of Lebron adding his 2 cents worth of opinion and whining about things. This dude is a baby. Top 5 NBA player of all time...YES....Top 5 NBA whiner of all time.....YES!!!
    Itís a major conflict of interest for LeBron. Itís essentially being called the Rich Paul Rule because Rich Paul, one of the most powerful agents in the NBA, didnít graduate college.

    But yeah, LeBron throwing his weight around especially with politics is pretty annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  6. Likes:

    dubc47834 (08-07-2019)

  7. #50
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,265

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It’s a major conflict of interest for LeBron. It’s essentially being called the Rich Paul Rule because Rich Paul, one of the most powerful agents in the NBA, didn’t graduate college.

    But yeah, LeBron throwing his weight around especially with politics is pretty annoying.
    Really disagree with this.

    James has every right to say whatever he wants.

    You have every right to disagree.

    (That said, a window into James' thought process would be a great resource for many of us.)

  8. #51
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,501

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Really disagree with this.

    James has every right to say whatever he wants.

    You have every right to disagree.

    (That said, a window into James' thought process would be a great resource for many of us.)
    He does have a right and I do have a right to disagree, but as I said I do find it annoying.

    LeBron is a celebrity. A professional athlete who makes more money than anybody posting on this board will ever see. Heís also made all of that money based on God given talent where the majority of Americans attend a four year college to get a degree to have a chance at a decent living.

    To say anything LeBron or any celebrity says is a resource while they are living the high life is laughable.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  9. Likes:

    dubc47834 (08-07-2019),Rojo Rijo (08-07-2019)

  10. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,091

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Yeah, Lebron has a right to say whatever he wants, but his opinion gets a megaphone that has nothing to with the quality of said opinions. I agree that it can be annoying (from celebrities in general).

  11. Likes:

    dubc47834 (08-07-2019)

  12. #53
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    40,045

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Really disagree with this.

    James has every right to say whatever he wants.

    You have every right to disagree.

    (That said, a window into James' thought process would be a great resource for many of us.)
    I would guess that once he retires, he's going to want to get in on the game as an agent. Maybe represent Bronnie. Now we know LeBron never went to college much less got a degree. He can't be an agent if he didn't get a degree. Rich Paul is probably an exception but it would probably help if an agent at least had a bachelor's degree. Of course you hear stories all the time of people (non-athletes) being successful even though they never or barely finished high school. And I'm sure there are agents with bachelor degrees who are incompetent or thieves or both. But with the complexity of NBA contracts I would think it would behoove an agent to study up on finance.

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    He does have a right and I do have a right to disagree, but as I said I do find it annoying.

    LeBron is a celebrity. A professional athlete who makes more money than anybody posting on this board will ever see. He’s also made all of that money based on God given talent where the majority of Americans attend a four year college to get a degree to have a chance at a decent living.

    To say anything LeBron or any celebrity says is a resource while they are living the high life is laughable.
    Shut up and dribble, huh? How much money does one have to make before they should not be spouting their opinions? Or are the only ones who can do that are people you agree with? People tend to be hypocritical about celebrities. If they speak out about something someone disagrees with, those people will get angry and say they should stick to sports/acting/whatever. But if they express points of view those same people agree with, those same people are like, "Right on!" and "That person tells it like it is." and "He/she is one of us!" Celebrities and athletes have every right to speak their minds on issues. We also have every right to accept or dismiss those opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

  13. #54
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,265

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    To say anything LeBron or any celebrity says is a resource while they are living the high life is laughable.
    His opinions are largely drawn through the sieves of experience, socioeconomically disadvantaged (as a youth), urban, and minority.

    Too often, those of us that have never experienced those in aggregate never hear those opinions.

    Worse, many disregard them. Call his opinions "laughable" or "annoying" instead of learning from them.

    His is a unique voice.

    (He also has a long, long history of helping out a variety of people. I respect guys who not only make it out (by whatever means), but take time and spend money in helping others to do the same.)

    At this point, I respect just about anyone who actually has a social conscience and is willing to speak to power with whatever megaphone they might have. Too many have abdicated that responsibility because it's difficult or it may cost them something.

  14. Likes:

    Chip R (08-07-2019),Revering4Blue (08-07-2019)

  15. #55
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,080

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I would guess that once he retires, he's going to want to get in on the game as an agent. Maybe represent Bronnie. Now we know LeBron never went to college much less got a degree. He can't be an agent if he didn't get a degree. Rich Paul is probably an exception but it would probably help if an agent at least had a bachelor's degree. Of course you hear stories all the time of people (non-athletes) being successful even though they never or barely finished high school. And I'm sure there are agents with bachelor degrees who are incompetent or thieves or both. But with the complexity of NBA contracts I would think it would behoove an agent to study up on finance.

    Shut up and dribble, huh? How much money does one have to make before they should not be spouting their opinions? Or are the only ones who can do that are people you agree with? People tend to be hypocritical about celebrities. If they speak out about something someone disagrees with, those people will get angry and say they should stick to sports/acting/whatever. But if they express points of view those same people agree with, those same people are like, "Right on!" and "That person tells it like it is." and "He/she is one of us!" Celebrities and athletes have every right to speak their minds on issues. We also have every right to accept or dismiss those opinions.
    Rich Paul is a wildly successful NBA agent, power broker, what ever you want to call him. But lets not overlook that he rode the coat tails of LeBron to where he got. Rich Paul isn't Rich Paul unless he is a childhood friend of LeBron. That doesn't mean he couldn't have been successful, it just means that his path may have been very different.

    I don't have any issues with the NCAA putting high standards on people who want to represent their athletes. Bad information coming from a supposed person operating in the players best interest, can derail a persons career. The odds of someone taking Paul's path and becoming as successful as Paul has been is very low.

  16. #56
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    40,045

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Rich Paul is a wildly successful NBA agent, power broker, what ever you want to call him. But lets not overlook that he rode the coat tails of LeBron to where he got. Rich Paul isn't Rich Paul unless he is a childhood friend of LeBron. That doesn't mean he couldn't have been successful, it just means that his path may have been very different.
    No question. However if he were a crook or incompetent, LeBron would have left his agency by now. Of course you don't always know you're being stolen from until it's too late.

    I don't have any issues with the NCAA putting high standards on people who want to represent their athletes. Bad information coming from a supposed person operating in the players best interest, can derail a persons career. The odds of someone taking Paul's path and becoming as successful as Paul has been is very low.
    Neither do I. But a player could hire an agent with degrees and credentials up the wazoo and he still could get ripped off. Is there some recent history of players getting ripped off by agents without degrees? Besides Paul are there many agents without degrees? If not then this rule could seem vindictive. Of course all Paul has to do is hire an agent to work with him who has a degree. Scott Boros doesn't represent every player that is signed with his agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

  17. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (08-07-2019)

  18. #57
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,501

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I would guess that once he retires, he's going to want to get in on the game as an agent. Maybe represent Bronnie. Now we know LeBron never went to college much less got a degree. He can't be an agent if he didn't get a degree. Rich Paul is probably an exception but it would probably help if an agent at least had a bachelor's degree. Of course you hear stories all the time of people (non-athletes) being successful even though they never or barely finished high school. And I'm sure there are agents with bachelor degrees who are incompetent or thieves or both. But with the complexity of NBA contracts I would think it would behoove an agent to study up on finance.



    Shut up and dribble, huh? How much money does one have to make before they should not be spouting their opinions? Or are the only ones who can do that are people you agree with? People tend to be hypocritical about celebrities. If they speak out about something someone disagrees with, those people will get angry and say they should stick to sports/acting/whatever. But if they express points of view those same people agree with, those same people are like, "Right on!" and "That person tells it like it is." and "He/she is one of us!" Celebrities and athletes have every right to speak their minds on issues. We also have every right to accept or dismiss those opinions.
    I canít help but think if it were Ted Nugent instead of LeBron we would be having a completely different conversation.

    That said, you are right, they have the right to speak their minds. Just donít be surprised if the crowd you are speaking to turns against you aka the Dixie Chicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  19. #58
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,265

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I can’t help but think if it were Ted Nugent instead of LeBron we would be having a completely different conversation.
    I'd argue Ted Nugent's past pedophilia and racism have disqualified him from any serious thought beyond repugnance.

    Perhaps you see differently.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 08-07-2019 at 04:26 PM.

  20. #59
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,501

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'd argue Ted Nugent's past pedophilia and racism have disqualified him from any serious thought beyond repugnance.

    Perhaps you see differently.
    ďInsert conservative celebrity hereĒ
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  21. #60
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,265

    Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    “Insert conservative celebrity here”
    Again, if "collective celebrity" owns a voice for a community that's often ignored or easily dismissed, I'd love to hear their opinions.

    LeBron James is that voice for poor urban minorities.

    Is Curt Schilling that voice for rich white conservatives? Is that voice underrepresented?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator