Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Change My Mind: The Strike Zone Should be Identical for all Batters

Haunted by walks

Re: Change My Mind: The Strike Zone Should be Identical for all Batters

I think it’s weird that a pitcher throws to a strike zone that doesn’t exist yet. I’d set the strike zone at the batter’s arm pits to knees while standing still. If the batter wants to crouch or stretch while swinging, that’s his business.

It would be easier to automate than a moving target (and easier for a human ump if not automated).

2. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-20-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Forget baseball.....perhaps we can get them to lower the basketball goals for us under 6 foot.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.

My guess is it would hurt short players and help taller players.

Pitchers would exploit the fact that the strike zone is above the shorter players normal zone, forcing shorter player to either swing at pitches above their hitting zone, or take strikes that they can’t hit well. It would also make it harder for the short hitters to cover the bottom of the zone, since they have to be prepared to swing at pitches above their zone.

Taller players wouldn’t have to swing at high pitches, as they would be called balls, so they can focus their swing at lower pitches. Pitchers would only be able to attack them at the bottom of the zone, giving them fewer options to pitch to them.

Remember, the difference between the taller players and the shorter players is an entire foot, 12 inches. That should have a meaningful effect.
    That's the difference from top to bottom. How much of that difference is within the zone? My guess is that it's less than half that. And that's at the very extreme -- Altuve vs. Judge. For most hitters it's an or two at the top/bottom.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Thanks for the clarification.

My guess is it would hurt short players and help taller players.

Pitchers would exploit the fact that the strike zone is above the shorter players normal zone, forcing shorter player to either swing at pitches above their hitting zone, or take strikes that they can’t hit well. It would also make it harder for the short hitters to cover the bottom of the zone, since they have to be prepared to swing at pitches above their zone.

Taller players wouldn’t have to swing at high pitches, as they would be called balls, so they can focus their swing at lower pitches. Pitchers would only be able to attack them at the bottom of the zone, giving them fewer options to pitch to them.

Remember, the difference between the taller players and the shorter players is an entire foot, 12 inches. That should have a meaningful effect.
    That's the difference from top to bottom. How much of that difference is within the zone? My guess is that it's less than half that. And that's at the very extreme -- Altuve vs. Judge. For most hitters it's an or two at the top/bottom.

One of the things I think could make it interesting is the idea that players' height would factor into them becoming different kinds of hitters to account for the way they approach the zone. So much of the batter/pitcher matchup is a game theory sort of thing. That is, it's not as much about the hitter's raw physical ability to hit pitches in a certain location as it is his ability to "guess" where the ball is going to be and to react accordingly. Ultimately, I think the impact would be a lot smaller than many would surmise.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

That said, I don’t see how a computer can calculate that for every hitter. Maybe the technology is there, but it seems like it would alway be imprecise.
    It wouldn't. In an automated process, a computer would never calculate a parameter every time if it never changes (players don't change height between games). Instead, the player could be measured one time and that info could be passed in to the computer when he comes up to bat. It becomes a constant variable instead of dynamic.

8. Likes:

757690 (05-21-2019),wlf WV (05-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    It wouldn't. In an automated process, a computer would never calculate a parameter every time if it never changes (players don't change height between games). Instead, the player could be measured one time and that info could be passed in to the computer when he comes up to bat. It becomes a constant variable instead of dynamic.
    Excellent critical thinking skills. I hope MLB is as smart
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

10. Likes:

wlf WV (05-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    But, baseball is a "game of inches". Why put anyone at a disadvantage, real or perceived, if we don't have to? If you ever want acceptance by the players for an automated umpire, making them all use the same size strike zone is not the right way to do it, nor is it necessary. I actually think there would be a lot more pushback by the pitchers if someone like Judge was given a smaller strike zone. Just keep it in align the current rule, and the computer will handle it.

12. Likes:

Ironman92 (05-21-2019),wlf WV (05-21-2019)

I don’t know that we would ever get to a “same” strike zone for everyone.

But just as an academic exercise, if you were starting the game of baseball from scratch, would you want a variable zone for each player? Or just a simple across the board zone?

As an aside, even though it was a novelty, why shouldn’t a team be allowed to use small guys like Eddie Gaedel to manipulate the strike zone? It’s been noted basketball and many sports favor large/tall athletes. The variable zone truly favors smaller ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Now you have a standard fair for all, unless you are an umpire
    Last edited by wlf WV; 05-21-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    May the Lord bless

I've often wondered if the strike zone box we're seeing on TV nowadays is adjusted for each hitter or is it the same for the entire game? Anyone know?

16. Likes:

757690 (05-21-2019),Crumbley (05-21-2019),wlf WV (05-21-2019)

Well, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...", so to speak, there was this:

..."Tens of thousands of games have been played in the history of Major League Baseball. But on August 19th, 1951, the strangest baseball at-bat ever recorded took place in Sportsman's Park in St. Louis. It was on that day, sixty years ago, that a 3'7" player came to bat. Edward Carl Gaedel was born on June 8, 1925."...

https://www.neatorama.com/2011/08/19...at-in-history/
    Fiat justitia ruat caleum. Nolo timere. Laus Deo.

18. Likes:

wlf WV (05-21-2019)

Turn Off Ads?