Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto and Winker splits against lefties -

Votto and Winker splits against lefties -

Votto and Winker are playing against Ryu today. Why?

Winker has .105 Avg .333 OPS against lefties. Votto is .179 and .503. Farmer is hitting .296 and 1.049 OPS. Ervin 2/3 against lefties while hitless against righties. (Small Sample)

Against righties Winker has .250 Average and .850 OPS. (all 10 homers are against righties).

For a team that has trouble scoring runs, playing Winker and Votto against lefties is just giving away outs.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto and Winker splits against lefties -

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

Winker has .105 Avg .333 OPS against lefties. Votto is .179 and .503. Farmer is hitting .296 and 1.049 OPS. Ervin 2/3 against lefties while hitless against righties. (Small Sample)

Against righties Winker has .250 Average and .850 OPS. (all 10 homers are against righties).

For a team that has trouble scoring runs, playing Winker and Votto against lefties is just giving away outs.
    It’s pretty sad Peraza isn’t even entering the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

I agree about Votto vs lefties and have mentioned how terrible he has been, especially in terms of strikeouts. 14 K's in 39 ab's. I don't think he should be batting in the 2 hole vs (most) lefties. That said, it's all about matchups to me, and Votto is 4-11 lifetime vs Ryu with 1 homer and 2 doubles and just 2 K's. He seems to hit Ryu well, so I'm ok with this matchup today.

Winker has what? 600 career ab's in the majors? He is 2-19 vs lefties, but only 2 K's. I'd like to think that his .117 BABIP vs lefties is unsustainable. (But what the heck do I know?) Plus Winker needs some ab's to get better vs lefties, or you risk turning him into a platoon player vs an everyday player. He needs to be an everyday player for the Reds, so he is going to have to take his lumps learning how to hit lefties. He has gotten benched vs quite a # of lefties already this year, so it's up to Bell to pick and choose which lefties he gets to bat and sit against.

Peraza is actually 4-7 vs Ryu in his career. Batting 7th today. I probably would have gambled and batted him leadoff or 2nd today.

Winker needs to face more lefties. Sample size renders his numbers meaningless. There is absolutely nothing to gain by putting one of their best hitters into a strict platoon.

Turn Off Ads?