Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schebler Improving A Bit

Schebler Improving A Bit

Scott Schebler is 8 for his last 18, raising his BA to 279. No home runs, though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Schebler Improving A Bit

Am I the only one here who doesn't care what Schebler does at Louisville? I don't want him in a Reds uniform ever again. Time to move on.

4. Likes:

goldglover9 (05-20-2019),mgbrown66 (05-20-2019),RedsFanInMS (05-21-2019),RedTeamGo! (05-20-2019)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Am I the only one here who doesn't care what Schebler does at Louisville? I don't want him in a Reds uniform ever again. Time to move on.
    I don't want to see him starting anymore. I like Schebler, but I think he had his shot.

Of course, there's no telling who will be the RF next year if they don't re-sign Puig. And personally...I'm over Puig as well.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

I'm really pulling for him. If he figures out how to beat the shift and gets his swagger back, he'd be the feelgood story of the summer.

Go Schebler!!!

That being said, does anyone know if they are exercising the shift on him in AAA? Because if not, basically worthless stats.
    "Learn what it is that you do. Or we'll find someone else that will."

7. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-20-2019)

I haven't given up on Schebler, as depressing as his 2019 has been. If he returns to his previous form he has a ton of value as a 4th OFer.
    If they eliminate the shift, it alleviates a lot of what has plagued him and many others in MLB lately.
    Schebler might return to form.
    The shift might be outlawed in a year or two.
    Schebler has some track record of MLB success and is a serviceable backup CF.
    As bullish as I've become on VanMeter, OGrady, and Longhi with their early season AAA performance, they can't play CF and they have no MLB track record.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

9. Likes:

RedlegJake (05-20-2019)

It's hard to completely give up on a player who's still young and has a 30-HR season under his belt.

11. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-21-2019),HokieRed (05-21-2019),OGB (05-21-2019),Redeyecat (05-21-2019),The Operator (05-21-2019)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I'm really pulling for him. If he figures out how to beat the shift and gets his swagger back, he'd be the feelgood story of the summer.

Go Schebler!!!

That being said, does anyone know if they are exercising the shift on him in AAA? Because if not, basically worthless stats.
    In Sunday game against Buffalo it did not appear they were shifting on him (watched 3 AB's) -- he GIDP then flew out to CF twice -- Colon was 3 for 3 with a solo HR
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    In Sunday game against Buffalo it did not appear they were shifting on him (watched 3 AB's) -- he GIDP then flew out to CF twice -- Colon was 3 for 3 with a solo HR
    If they're not shifting on him then I'm not really buying into the improvement.

14. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-21-2019)

I see no reason whatever to give up on Schebler at this point. On the other hand, I hope the FO makes some more realistic assessments of the talent during the off season. Schebler might make a decent part of a platoon in one corner and as someone who can play a little center if necessary, a 4th or 5th outfielder. Hopefully Senzel in CF will put the everyday problem there to rest. Unless they decide to move him to 2b and acquire a true CF.

If they aren't shifting on him, then that means he isn't working on beating the shift.

Which means even if he does make it back to the Reds, he either hits a HR, walks, makes an out, or grounds into a DP to make 2 outs.

AKA he's finished.

Look... launch angle, bat speed, etc, these things are great. But if he's a 2 outcome player (out, or HR), even if he hits 30 a year, there's no place for him on a major league roster.

Very disappointing. I thought he went back to AAA to beat the shift. Not to develop a false sense of confidence playing against lesser talent and without the shift to worry about.

Is this rocket science? This isn't rocket science...
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 05-21-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    If they aren't shifting on him, then that means he isn't working on beating the shift.
    Not sure this logic holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Not sure this logic holds up.
    Man I hope not. Otherwise he's better off working on his golf swing than his bat swing.

It just so happens that he has teammates at Louisville who are mashing and haven't had the major league opportunities he has so my view is that Schebler has to get in line.

20. Likes:

goldglover9 (05-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It just so happens that he has teammates at Louisville who are mashing and haven't had the major league opportunities he has so my view is that Schebler has to get in line.
    As bad as he's been in 95 PA this year, Schebler has a .760 career OPS and 3.2 WAR prior to 2019.
    I'm excited about what (for the most part non prospects) VanMeter, Longhi, OGrady, and Aquino are doing so far this year.
    I'm excited about the future of actual prospects Trammell, Siri, and Friedl.
    Ervin has also hit a little in the bigs and last year in AAA.

Taking all of that into account, I still believe Schebler will start to hit and be a valuable piece on the Reds bench in a month or so.
    The rest of those guys are playing for possible spots next year or fill ins if the Reds have a rash of injuries.
    If I'm wrong, I only hope it's because they all succeed and some of those guys manage to outshine Scott.
    There are plenty of teams that can use a career .760 bat on their bench.
    I'm pretty sure Dietrich wasn't that high going into this year.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    Syracuse wasn’t shifting on him either. I suppose he could still try to hit against what the shift would be, but it wouldn’t be the same.

Turn Off Ads?