Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Velocity is strangling baseball — and its grip keeps tightening

Re: Velocity is strangling baseball — and its grip keeps tightening

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    The parks were terrible. Old Busch. Riverfront. Veterans Stadium. Three Rivers.
    Well yeah they had the personality of a Dairy Queen.

But a larger field can be applied inside a nice facility

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-21-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

If you throw it over 97, it automatically gets counted as a ball.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Guys, just stop arguing with him. He will literally never stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Larry is living the role of the underachiever who's still struggling to get a life so he spends hours upon hours posting worthless bilge on the 'net
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo!
    I think those are just two separate quotes and not meant to be taken together.

5. Likes:

The Operator (05-21-2019)

Why not hand out a ticket to anyone throwing over 95 MPH. What could be simpler? It's a good revenue raiser.

Reds Fan Since 1971

Taking somebody who can throw 100 mph and trying to make them a starter is ignorant and dangerous. We saw how it affected Chapman and we now have one of the best prospects in baseball sitting at home with a Tommy John surgery repaired elbow. Does this mean now that Hunter Greene as a pitcher is done at 19 years old? Do they now put him out in the field? I can't see any pitcher coming back from TJ at that age and being effective long term unless he becomes a relief pitcher or Closer.

Hard yes on moving the fences back and raising them. Hard no on moving the mound back.

9. Likes:

Always Red (05-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TruebluJR View Post
    Taking somebody who can throw 100 mph and trying to make them a starter is ignorant and dangerous. We saw how it affected Chapman and we now have one of the best prospects in baseball sitting at home with a Tommy John surgery repaired elbow. Does this mean now that Hunter Greene as a pitcher is done at 19 years old? Do they now put him out in the field? I can't see any pitcher coming back from TJ at that age and being effective long term unless he becomes a relief pitcher or Closer.
    Actually the fact that Greene is 19 years old gives him a greater chance of full recovery and effectiveness than if he were say, 27.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Hard yes on moving the fences back and raising them. Hard no on moving the mound back.
    Doesn't this just help the pitchers even more? I thought this thread was about leveling the playing field 'cause the pitchers are dominating right now due to their velocity?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Doesn't this just help the pitchers even more? I thought this thread was about leveling the playing field 'cause the pitchers are dominating right now due to their velocity?
    I don’t think so. A larger outfield leaves more ground to cover, thus theoretically leads to more hits and action.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    I don’t think so. A larger outfield leaves more ground to cover, thus theoretically leads to more hits and action.
    Interesting way to look at it. That extra real estate is beyond where the walls are currently so that'll turn HRs into doubles and maybe triples. It seems to me that the pitchers would be on board with this ten out of ten times. I'm not sure I get how turning GABP into Dodger Stadium is a good thing for the hitters

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    The parks were terrible. Old Busch. Riverfront. Veterans Stadium. Three Rivers.
    When I was going to games at Riverfront I thought it was a great park, but I was a kid at the time.. Those astroturf fields blew pretty bad though. The team seemed to do pretty good there though..a heck of a lot better at Riverfront than they've ever done at GABP by a huge margin..

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    When I was going to games at Riverfront I thought it was a great park, but I was a kid at the time.. Those astroturf fields blew pretty bad though. The team seemed to do pretty good there though..a heck of a lot better at Riverfront than they've ever done at GABP by a huge margin..
    It helps to have better players.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The Big Red Machine was built to win on fields like Riverfront Stadium

17. Likes:

Big Klu (05-22-2019)

You know...one fundamental question that should be asked of every player, be it baseball, football or any other sport is: Just how much pain later in life are you willing to endure in exchange for a big salary for a few years?
    There really doesn't seem to be any limit and that can even be traced back to warfare in which societies have for centuries taught young men to seek glory and fame even at the expense of their own lives.
    Look at how many young men over the past few centuries who were dragged into the meat grinders of industrial warfare and told it was for god and country. They're still doing that number on young men, but much of it has been replaced now with athletics. Are you willing to live with what may amount to a useless arm, leg or back and maybe another 50 years of intense pain for say...10 million bucks? Not me, but I can't speak for anyone else. At 60 I live every day with the pain that is the result of stupid decisions I made in attempts to earn more money as a young man. We're so easily duped..
    Think back to your youth (other old guys) to the days you said you'd gladly take a punch in the face from Mohamad Ali for 1 round of 10 million bucks.. despite the fact that it might have turned your brain into mush for 70 years or less..
    Last edited by mamell; 05-22-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    And now seemingly unlimited money to pay them..

Turn Off Ads?