Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitcher skips MLB draft for Japan deal

Pitcher skips MLB draft for Japan deal

Apologies if this has been posted already, but I find it fascinating:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...aft-japan-deal

Nineteen-year-old pitcher Carter Stewart is in agreement with the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks of the Japanese Pacific League on a six-year contract worth more than $7 million, a groundbreaking deal that could have long-term ramifications for Major League Baseball's amateur and professional sides, sources told ESPN.

Stewart, who was chosen by the Atlanta Braves with the eighth pick in the 2018 draft out of a Florida high school but did not sign after they reduced their signing-bonus offer due to an alleged injury, was expected to be chosen in the early second round of this June's draft. By signing with Fukuoka, which has won four of the past five Japan Series, Stewart would guarantee himself significantly more money than he would have made with a major league organization -- and could theoretically join the major leagues as a 25-year-old free agent.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pitcher skips MLB draft for Japan deal

That is pretty wild. What kind of money was he looking at in the 8th in terms of signing bonus and slot money?

The way teams are trending with calling up players later and later, this guy probably makes his MLB debut maybe a year later than he would have had he gone through the draft, and he’s already getting paid.

Hopefully they don’t overuse him like crazy the way some of those Japanese teams do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

Japanese pitchers have different throwing programs, it will be interesting to see how he takes to it

5. Likes:

M2 (05-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Hopefully they don’t overuse him like crazy the way some of those Japanese teams do.
    That's definitely a worry, a team who knows he's gone no matter what might care even less about his workload.
    Go Gators!

7. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (05-23-2019)

Sounds like a smart move to me. I wonder if agents have curtailed this choice before or if Japanese teams have not been aggressive in the amateur draft. If you’re good enough someone will offer to buy you out. I would have taken less years though.
    Seems the Japanese would be more involved. There’s money to be made by reselling good ball players.
    May the Lord bless

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Japanese pitchers have different throwing programs, it will be interesting to see how he takes to it
    Also the cultural change both on and off the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

10. Likes:

RedsBrick (05-23-2019),westofyou (05-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Apologies if this has been posted already, but I find it fascinating:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...aft-japan-deal
    It's news to me. Thank you.
    Fiat justitia ruat caleum. Nolo timere. Laus Deo.

He basically is using the Japanese league as his minor leagues. It could hurt his development, since it’s the pro’s and they are going to only care about results and not his development. But, he’s getting over $5M than if he stayed in the MLB draft. Considering the odds of pitching prospects becoming MLB starters, it seems like a good bet.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That is pretty wild. What kind of money was he looking at in the 8th in terms of signing bonus and slot money?
    I think he was slotted @ around $5 Million in 2018 as the 8th pick, but the Braves only offered 40% ($2 Million) after coming across something in his medicals. This year he was projected to get drafted much later and was likely looking at less than $2 Million. Beyond moving across the world, he made the best decision based on finances alone.....and if he is good enough and can get back in MLB around 25 years old as a FA, then he will have really made the wise decision.

14. Likes:

wally post (05-23-2019),Wonderful Monds (05-23-2019)

You look at it like he gets way more guaranteed money to do this, and he's also betting on himself at the same time. If he becomes a major league pitcher by that age he'll do so well as a 25-year-old free agent.

If someone elite ever did this, they could be looking at a nine figure deal by the time they are 24-25 years old, and they'd get to go through the free agency process at least twice at a good age.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

They call me "chef"

I'm for anything that puts more power and security in the hands of the individual and forces the companies/clubs to step up their offers and treatment of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Guys, just stop arguing with him. He will literally never stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Larry is living the role of the underachiever who's still struggling to get a life so he spends hours upon hours posting worthless bilge on the 'net
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo!
    I think those are just two separate quotes and not meant to be taken together.

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-23-2019),Chip R (05-23-2019),Crumbley (05-23-2019),OGB (05-23-2019),Redsfaithful (05-23-2019),RedsfaninMT (05-23-2019),The Operator (05-23-2019),Wonderful Monds (05-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I'm for anything that puts more power and security in the hands of the individual and forces the companies/clubs to step up their offers and treatment of people.
    Understand exactly where you’re coming from, but something about this made my stomach turn. The fact that players make millions a year on the surface makes that laughable. But when you think a little more i am on your side. Weird.

I'm fairly surprised a Japanese team would do this for a HS school pitcher. I imagine his success will be a big factor in whether this happens again for HS'er. It would seem to make much more sense for a college guy (especially a senior who gets lowballed).
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

I think this will be a bit like the basketball players who went to Europe to play for a year rather than spend a year in college. That was also billed as potentially revolutionary and game-changing. But it generally had disastrous results. Most 18 year-olds aren't ready to move across the world to a completely different culture. It may work out for this guy and for a few others (and good on them if it does), but I think there's about a 0% chance of this strategy having the major ramifications referred to in the ESPN article.

21. Likes:

HammerTime (05-23-2019),RED VAN HOT (05-23-2019),RiverRat13 (05-23-2019),sjjones (05-23-2019),Tracy Jones (05-23-2019)

The ramifications of this won't be felt for several years. The "alleged" injury may turn out to be accurate proving the Braves were shrewd. It may also be false and the Braves missed out on Cy Young II. Who knows?

In the end, I'm guessing his dream growing up wasn't to play in Japan and now he's turned into a business. It's officially no longer "For Love of the Game".

23. Likes:

Shoeless Jeff (05-23-2019)

Turn Off Ads?