Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone in baseball know how to hit anymore?

Does anyone in baseball know how to hit anymore?

Looking at the MLB stats, team batting averages range from .219 (Reds) to .281 (Astros) with the Twins at the second highest at .269. The overall league average is at .245 so far this year. Last year was .248 with 2010 to 2017 in the .250 to .257 range. Prior to that, there was no season less than .261 going back to 1992. I therefore wondered if the kids in the minor leagues were trending the same way. I only looked at the four leagues the Reds affiliates are in, but here goes:

Midwest League (Low A) - .216 to .254 for 2019 with an overall league average at 0.232 (Dayton at .220).
    Florida State League (High A) - .215 to .256 for 2019 with an overall league average at .233 (Daytona at .251).
    Southern League (AA) - .219 to .247 with an overall league average at .235 (Chattanooga at .245).
    International League (AAA) - .241 to .276 with an overall league average at .259 (Louisville at .258).

I have seen in several posts on the minor league pages (and been to several games myself) and it appears that teams do not shift anywhere near as much in the minors, so we can probably throw that out as a reason for batting averages being down across the board. Are pitchers just that much better now? I would love to hear others ideas.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does anyone in baseball know how to hit anymore?

See that thread about what velocity is doing to hitters these days.

Also, I knew our hitters didn’t have a great average, but I didn’t realize it was that bad. Jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

Well pitchers are throwing a heck of a lot harder and specialize a lot more than in the days where Babe Ruth would eat two hot dogs between innings and throw 150 pitches every game.

The average fastball velocity is 4 mph faster this season than it was just 17 years ago. That's quite a big jump for hitters to have to adjust to. Pitchers are being asked to throw it as hard as they can without worrying about going deep into a game. It's perfectly fine for them to be out of gas after 5 innings because here comes 4 or 5 more guys throwing in the upper 90's.

Part of the increase in velocity may be due to the change from Pitchf/x to Statcase. I don't know if it resolved
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...a-bit-outside/

It all started the first weekend of the season, when observers noted some unusual pitch velocity readings from San Francisco Giants hurler Madison Bumgarner. Bumgarner’s fastball was up almost two full miles per hour compared with last year; in a league where every tick matters, that reading could have meant a much better season for the Giants’ ace than expected. It wasn’t just Bumgarner: FanGraphs writer Dave Cameron quickly noticed that velocity numbers had jumped across the league. Days after the changes were noted, MLB data guru Tom Tango clarified in a blog post that the changeover from PITCHf/x to Statcast had altered the way pitch speed was recorded, making it appear that velocity had increased. An MLB Advanced Media spokesperson who requested not to be identified said “the transition saw unexpected issues that have been resolved,” but declined to comment further.

No
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with everything here except the part about Trump promising to drain the swamp of rich elites. When did he say that? I think he's putting in rich guys with the idea that they can't be bought. I don't think he ever promised not to put in rich white guys.

It's a pitchers league now, but corrections will be made..You can bank on it. Either the distance or mound height will change or some other combination of things, but it effects attendance and the league's bottom line.
    I love to see great pitching and most fans do, but few get too excited about starters pitching great then getting yanked by the 5th inning and just about every bullpen arm used every game. It definitely slows things down which is by far the biggest complaint by fans...the game seems too slow.
    Interestingly enough though fans love high scoring games, but at the same time those high scoring games take up far more time than a pitchers duel of two guys tossing zeros over 7-8 innings..
    Do you want faster games or more runs? You can't typically have both at the same time. Fans seem mesmerized by the 105 mph FB followed by a 83 mph changeup, but complain about the lack of hitting.. Do you want sugar in your coffee or coffee in your sugar?
    Last edited by mamell; 05-23-2019 at 04:39 PM.

9. Likes:

KYExtemper (05-24-2019)

In a few years a .300 hitter will be treated like .400 hitters were in the 80's.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    In a few years a .300 hitter will be treated like .400 hitters were in the 80's.
    In the 80's, MLB hadn't seen a .400 hitter in over 40 years.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

12. Likes:

Kinsm (05-24-2019),Old school 1983 (05-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    In the 80's, MLB hadn't seen a .400 hitter in over 40 years.
    True but guys flirted with it, it was a possibility.
    Go Gators!

14. Likes:

Chip R (05-24-2019),North (05-24-2019)

Look at a list of the highest-paid players in baseball. They are either starting pitchers, home run hitters or Joey Votto.

This is why strikeouts are up. This is why averages are down.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    True but guys flirted with it, it was a possibility.
    This makes sense to me. .400 was like Miss Kentucky. If you lucked up enough to be in her presence at an event, you could flirt with her, but your chances were slim. Now, .400 is like Jennifer Lawrence. Forget about it....but I mean, technically there's a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Part of the increase in velocity may be due to the change from Pitchf/x to Statcase. I don't know if it resolved
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...a-bit-outside/
    I remember that from when Finnegan showed up throwing 97mph. Maybe itís not all pitch tracking changes, but it seems like thatís when the ďeverybody and their brother throws high 90sĒ thing really kicked into gear.

18. Likes:

Chip R (05-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Look at a list of the highest-paid players in baseball. They are either starting pitchers, home run hitters or Joey Votto.

This is why strikeouts are up. This is why averages are down.
    Also, more batters are swinging for the fences these days. I know that's a topic that's been talked about ad nauseum but combine that with shifts and harder throwing pitchers and it's no wonder batting averages are down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Whatever the reason, I think we can all agree that this is an exciting development for baseball!!!!!!
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?