Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 130

Thread: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

  1. #61
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    13,021

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I always thought a journeyman was a player who was competent, but undistinguished, and moved around to several clubs over the course of his career. Ryan Ludwick was an example of a journeyman.
    You're 100% right. By definition, a guy who has stayed in the same organization his whole career is not a journey man. He's never taken a journey. You might say he's an organization guy. But Ervin really isn't that either. He's a first rounder that might be a late bloomer.

    I'd be totally thrilled if Winker/Ervin spent the next 3 years here holding down LF and putting up nice LH/RH splits for really cheap salary. And if I was Reds, that would be the plan unless something changes.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23,495

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    You're 100% right. By definition, a guy who has stayed in the same organization his whole career is not a journey man. He's never taken a journey. You might say he's an organization guy. But Ervin really isn't that either. He's a first rounder that might be a late bloomer.

    I'd be totally thrilled if Winker/Ervin spent the next 3 years here holding down LF and putting up nice LH/RH splits for really cheap salary. And if I was Reds, that would be the plan unless something changes.
    I'd be fine with a Winker/Ervin platoon. I think that could be Carbo/McRae type platoon (which was pretty darned productive).

    My problem is with the idea that Ervin should be handed RF when Puig leaves town or that the Reds can "find out" about these out of nowhere players (whether you want to call then Journeyman or some other label, I don't really care) in a couple hundred PAs at the end of a lost season. Again, if some team is impressed and would ask for those guys in a deal for a proven player, then deal them, but they can't prove they should have those open jobs no matter how much they produce between now and the end of the year. We've seen crazy production like that before from these types that amounted to nothing long term and we've seen how the Reds have suffered the poor consequences of relying on it. When the trades happen in a few days, let those guys have at it all you want, but the positions they will be filling in for need a different Plan A for 2020.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  4. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,207

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    Van Meter in the lineup again...looks like Winker is sitting.

  5. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,033

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Van Meter in the lineup again...looks like Winker is sitting.
    Could be showcasing him for a deadline deal. I don't think the Reds would flip him for a nothing prospect, but they would include him in a deal for a controllable vet. I could see JVM being the third piece in a Boyd or Merrifield deal if a team thinks he can be an everyday player.

  6. Likes:

    mth123 (07-28-2019)

  7. #65
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23,495

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    So, I know people have said the Reds won't get anything for VanMeter, but the trade deadline is approaching and the recent sudden urgency to play him every day seems to be coming at just the right time. He's been really productive and he's still fairly young. The Reds are on record as saying they want to buy pieces they can keep beyond this year. The two teams in the AL with probably the worst situation in baseball as far as position players is concerned are Baltimore and Detroit. Both team have a couple of longer term pieces they are looking to deal.

    Why is it so hard to wonder if that might be what this is all about?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  8. #66
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    13,021

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    C'mon people... they are not showcasing Van Meter for a trade.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  9. Likes:

    1990worldchamps (07-28-2019),HammerTime (07-29-2019),Kinsm (07-28-2019),malcontent (07-28-2019),ochoa30 (07-28-2019),OGB (07-28-2019)

  10. #67
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23,495

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    C'mon people... they are not showcasing Van Meter for a trade.
    Why isn't that possible?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  11. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,033

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    C'mon people... they are not showcasing Van Meter for a trade.
    I want to believe.

  12. #69
    Moderator Plus Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,141

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Why isn't that possible?
    VanMeter is 24, plays like every position, and has about a 12-month track record of being anything resembling a prospect. He was traded to the Reds for nothing, and never resembled a meaningful prospect.

    Right now, you have what appears to be a high-end bench player with pop and maybe potential for more than that, and he's making the league minimum and is under control for 6 more years.

    His value to the Reds is likely much higher than he would be to any team who would be acquiring him. Players like VanMeter are often thrown in as additional parts in trades that center upon more meaningful prospect or player returns (e.g. Schebler being included in the Frazier trade, which seemed to focus on Peraza).
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

  13. #70
    Member RustyJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    269

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Wonder if there is any video comparing his swing this year to previous years. Looks like his swing has some uppercut to it. Wonder if heís adopted the launch angle approach. Could explain the power spike. Especially in combo with the juiced AAA balls.
    Thereís so many precedents of guys shaking off years of line drive coaching and suddenly becoming big impact bats. I feel like everyone wants to take the level-headed approach of averaging new Van Meter with old Van Meter into a good utility guy, but if heís truly changed his whole approach, then the only relevant data we have is that new Van Meter murders the baseball.

  14. Likes:

    Edd Roush (07-28-2019),Gunner44 (07-28-2019),malcontent (07-28-2019),Old school 1983 (07-28-2019)

  15. #71
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23,495

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    VanMeter is 24, plays like every position, and has about a 12-month track record of being anything resembling a prospect. He was traded to the Reds for nothing, and never resembled a meaningful prospect.

    Right now, you have what appears to be a high-end bench player with pop and maybe potential for more than that, and he's making the league minimum and is under control for 6 more years.

    His value to the Reds is likely much higher than he would be to any team who would be acquiring him. Players like VanMeter are often thrown in as additional parts in trades that center upon more meaningful prospect or player returns (e.g. Schebler being included in the Frazier trade, which seemed to focus on Peraza).
    I understand that and if throwing him in a deal acquires a controllable answer going forward, I'm for it. The Tigers are playing Brandon Dixon every day and he's actually one of their better players. Most of their prospects are pitchers. I'd bet VanMeter might interest them quite a bit. If the Reds could deal something like VanMeter, Aquino and Sims for somebody like Shane Green or Mychal Givens, I'm for it. Those guys may bring more back, but I'm not convinced.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  16. #72
    Moderator Plus Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,141

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I understand that and if throwing him in a deal acquires a controllable answer going forward, I'm for it. The Tigers are playing Brandon Dixon every day and he's actually one of their better players. Most of their prospects are pitchers. I'd bet VanMeter might interest them quite a bit. If the Reds could deal something like VanMeter, Aquino and Sims for somebody like Shane Green or Mychal Givens, I'm for it. Those guys may bring more back, but I'm not convinced.
    Wouldn't the Tigers just ask for Winker if they are trying to improve instead of VanMeter? I guarantee that a poll of "average" Tigers fans would have less than 10% name recognition for VanMeter, and that he would be evaluated similarly to how Schebler was when the Reds acquired him.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

  17. #73
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23,495

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Wouldn't the Tigers just ask for Winker if they are trying to improve instead of VanMeter? I guarantee that a poll of "average" Tigers fans would have less than 10% name recognition for VanMeter, and that he would be evaluated similarly to how Schebler was when the Reds acquired him.
    Sure, but the Reds won't deal Winker in a deal for Green and no one else would give the equivalent either. Talk Boyd, and I'd talk Winker,
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  18. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    2,035

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    Iím kind of against trading VM. He raked in AAA like no one else has. He looks very comfortable at the mlb level. He could be a key offensive player.

  19. #75
    Member Kinsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,652

    Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I’m kind of against trading VM. He raked in AAA like no one else has. He looks very comfortable at the mlb level. He could be a key offensive player.
    Everybody rakes in AAA now.

  20. Likes:

    OGB (07-29-2019)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator