Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

Re: Appreciating Josh Van Meter

If they don't care about winning - and it's not clear to me that they do - then he makes as much sense (cheap, non-descript, cheap, little pop, cheap, versatile) as anyone else. Expect to see him in the OD staring 8.

2. Turn Off Ads?

maybe they can save money and have pitch also

Should almost certainly be a utility player for 2020 if he sticks on the roster instead of getting ABs in Louisville. Still think he's young enough and got enough skills to take another step forward, but regular playing time should come only through injury or JVM going nuts in a part-time role.

But at woy alluded too he sure doesn't look like an outfielder. Let him play across the infield.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Griffey012 (10-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Should almost certainly be a utility player for 2020 if he sticks on the roster instead of getting ABs in Louisville. Still think he's young enough and got enough skills to take another step forward, but regular playing time should come only through injury or JVM going nuts in a part-time role.

But at woy alluded too he sure doesn't look like an outfielder. Let him play across the infield.
    Problem is he has no regular infield spot IF Senzel transitions to 2B. So you are right, he's likely a utility guy then. Really it hinges on Senzel, who I believe, will NOT be ready on Opening Day. Which makes 2B an almost open competition between JVM and Blandino at least in the short term. I'd rather see Lorenzen in the OF over VanMeter defensively.

In fact, I'm calling first week of May right now at the earliest for Senzel.

I'm really concerned about the offense. I like a Votto bounceback with him emphasizing power, and how he hit in Sept.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (10-04-2019)

At this point he should be given a chance to win the 2B job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    At this point he should be given a chance to win the 2B job.
    Why? what is it about .237 .327 .408 .735 that says to you, this guy should compete for the 2B job?

I mean he'll get a chance to get the bulk of the PT vs Blandino. I see a strict platoon myself until Senzel is ready. Then the job is his.

10. Likes:

RedsRocker (10-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Why? what is it about .237 .327 .408 .735 that says to you, this guy should compete for the 2B job?

I mean he'll get a chance to get the bulk of the PT vs Blandino. I see a strict platoon myself until Senzel is ready. Then the job is his.
    He destroyed AAA pitching after a swing change, juiced ball and all he was still way better than the competition. 11.2% BB rate and a 21.5% K% at the MLB level. Once he was playing near full time he had a 95 wRC+ with an 11.1 BB% and 19.8 K%. He has power. That is a good base to build off of.

He carried the same value as Senzel at the plate this year. Pretty much same OPS, stole a similar amount of bases. Senzel hit for less power and a higher BABIP (which was at least partially deserved). If VanMeter shouldn't be competing for a starting job, why should Senzel?
    Last edited by Griffey012; 10-04-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (10-04-2019),TRF (10-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    He destroyed AAA pitching after a swing change, juiced ball and all he was still way better than the competition. 11.2% BB rate and a 21.5% K% at the MLB level. Once he was playing near full time he had a 95 wRC+ with an 11.1 BB% and 19.8 K%. He has power. That is a good base to build off of.

He carried the same value as Senzel at the plate this year. Pretty much same OPS, stole a similar amount of bases. Senzel hit for less power and a higher BABIP (which was at least partially deserved). If VanMeter shouldn't be competing for a starting job, why should Senzel?
    That's a fair point. I had Senzel just handed the job because he's really not a CF, and he's got nothing hanging over his head right now saying he's not on the team. VanMeter might be the better guy, because some guys bloom late. The odds that Aquino, JVM and the notorious BOG ALL bloomed late and the Reds are reaping the benefits seems like luck the Reds do not have.

I've advocated for JVM at 2B. I'd be ok if he is not the guy though, if the 2B the Reds decide on is a good defender with a plus bat. In this case, I find I care more about production than the name on the back of the jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    That's a fair point. I had Senzel just handed the job because he's really not a CF, and he's got nothing hanging over his head right now saying he's not on the team. VanMeter might be the better guy, because some guys bloom late. The odds that Aquino, JVM and the notorious BOG ALL bloomed late and the Reds are reaping the benefits seems like luck the Reds do not have.

I've advocated for JVM at 2B. I'd be ok if he is not the guy though, if the 2B the Reds decide on is a good defender with a plus bat. In this case, I find I care more about production than the name on the back of the jersey.
    I don't think BOG showed enough late season to merit a roster spot, he will likely be back in AAA. The Reds are in a weird spot with Aquino and JVM. To me they are guys you'd like to give a full season of AB's to, but if the Reds are serious about contending, you can't do that without a plan B. I am guessing we will see some offensive upgrades added and a lot of fluidity with lineups and positions, and if one of those guys does fully break out they get more and more PT. And we will likely have 6 or 7 players competing for 4 starting spots at LF, CF, RF, 2B, depending on off-season moves.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

15. Likes:

DocRed (10-04-2019)

Reds have a bunch of in-house guys who could fill out the bench.

Ervin, Van Meter, O’Grady, Farmer, Blandino, Casali, possibly Peraza and Dietrich if they stay, possibly Aquino if Reds acquire more outfielders. Galvis if they keep him without a fixed starting position.

They will undoubtedly bring in others.

It’s premature to predict. Van Meter showed me enough for a bench job although his defense seemed ordinary. But he’s got a solid approach at the plate, has some pop, and can play several positions.

I don’t see JVM as a starter except as an injury fill-in next season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-14-2019 at 09:59 PM.

17. Likes:

mth123 (10-14-2019)

Turn Off Ads?