Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Stones

Re: The Rolling Stones

While Gimme Shelter is my favorite, with Merry Clayton's vocals taking it to the next level, I think Sympathy is one of the very best rock songs ever written. I'm still blown away when I hear it sometimes, thinking that a rowdy rock group could do something like this.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Beast of Burden

Either Happy or B!tch

I love the Rolling Stones, they are probably in my top 3 all-time rock ensembles. But here we are nearly 20 posts into this thread, and still (I can't get no) Satisfaction from the responses so far.

Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    Either Happy or B!tch
    Isn't that a bumper sticker?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

7. Likes:

redsfanmia (06-02-2019)

Brown Sugar or Honky Tonk Woman, but I like just about everything by the Stones. Best Deep cut is Sister Morphine with Ry Cooder on slide guitar. Their Live cover of Around and Around might be the best cover I've ever heard.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Either She’s a rainbow or Monkey Man. Not huge fan though, used to be until I saw them live and they were just awful.
    Monkey man is great. When did you see them live? They're on the old-timers tour these days. I wouldn't judge them off of a live performance they've given in the last 25 years or so. I feel sorry for people seeing these guys now when they are old. I'm embarrassed for Paul McCartney every time I see him. Judging these great performers based on what they've done as old men is like basing your opinion of Willie Mays on his time with the Mets. I don't have any desire to see the 60s and 70s performers today.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Monkey man is great. When did you see them live? They're on the old-timers tour these days. I wouldn't judge them off of a live performance they've given in the last 25 years or so. I feel sorry for people seeing these guys now when they are old. I'm embarrassed for Paul McCartney every time I see him. Judging these great performers based on what they've done as old men is like basing your opinion of Willie Mays on his time with the Mets. I don't have any desire to see the 60s and 70s performers today.
    Saw them in 89 on the Steel Wheels tour and it was ok. The Voodoo lounge tour in 95 I think was literally the worst concert I’ve ever seen.

I’m with you on McCartney, seen him 5 times and the last time was 3-4 years ago and it was bad, someone in his inner circle needs to tell him it’s time to stop.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Saw them in 89 on the Steel Wheels tour and it was ok. The Voodoo lounge tour in 95 I think was literally the worst concert I’ve ever seen.

I’m with you on McCartney, seen him 5 times and the last time was 3-4 years ago and it was bad, someone in his inner circle needs to tell him it’s time to stop.
    These guys make a ton of money off people who want to say they got to see them. It's like saying you got see a game in Wrigley Field or Fenway park when you don't really care about the teams playing. I don't blame them for taking the cash, I just want to remember them when they were young and at the top. I'll stick to the old versions. I might watch something on you tube now and then, but I prefer the old albums.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-02-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Please allow me to introduce myself...

1. Sympathy for the Devil
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Brown Sugar
    4. Honky Tonk Women
    5. You Can't Always Get What You Want
    6. Ruby Tuesday
    7. Start Me Up
    8. Satisfaction
    9. Wild Horses
    10. Angie
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

13. Likes:

Dom Heffner (06-03-2019),mth123 (06-05-2019)

Love in Vain

Close but not quite: Let It Bleed and Country Honk
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Mothers Little Helper
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

Gimme Shelter
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

17. Likes:

marcshoe (06-04-2019)

All you "Greatest Hits" Stones fans out there. Do yourself a favor. Fire up Spotify...

Beggar's Banquet
    Exile on Main Street
    Goat's Head Soup
    Let It Bleed

Start with those 4, start to finish.

There was a 6 to 8 year stretch there where they could do no wrong, no matter what genre.

I think they kinda suck live too, fwiw. Even in their prime. I have yet to hear a live version of any of their songs that is superior to the recorded version. I'm open if anyone has any suggestions, of course.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 06-04-2019 at 08:18 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

19. Likes:

919191 (06-05-2019),GAC (06-05-2019),redsfanmia (06-04-2019)

It ain't this song, but. . . .

In 1978, Dad had a little store with pool and pinball in the back. This was the B-side of "Miss You", and people played it way, way too much.

Turn Off Ads?