Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Puig: Let's talk about him

Re: Puig: Let's talk about him

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We've got outfielders who are mashing in AAA. At some point it's Fool's Gold to block them while a guy who doesn't figure into our future OPS' .630. His bWAR is less than replacement.
    The AAA guys are the Fool's Gold, I'm surprised this needs to be said.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

2. Likes:

OGB (06-17-2019),Revering4Blue (06-13-2019),RiverRat13 (06-12-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Double post.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-12-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    This could be true but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player that didn’t go through some kind of slump during a 162 game season

The subject was inconsistency, not one slump.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-12-2019 at 12:49 AM.

6. Likes:

GAC (06-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The subject was inconsistency, not one slump.
    You said the Best Players in Baseball perform consistently and it’s an important factor in a 162 game season.

My comment was I think most players have a slump of some kind during a 162 game season

I don’t see what the big deal is
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-12-2019 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    "Streaky hitters" are an illusion created for talk radio shows.

https://redlegnation.com/2015/07/24/...bruce-streaky/

The only consistent "streaks" that I've seen proven would be those players who take a while to find their groove at the beginning of the season, or those that tend to get exhausted by the end of a season. There's no streakyness throughout the season like you're suggesting.
    All players go through streaks and slumps. What I am referring to, as far as Bruce and Puig are concerned - both seen as rising stars (prospects) within their organizations - is that they could be hot as a firecracker one month (carry the team), then the next month seemed lost at the plate and put up a .500 OPS. Yeah, their end-of-the year slash line may look OK, but it was the "journey", throughout the course of the season, to get there. A lack of any kind of consistency at all. One would get motion sickness following the peaks and valleys on that graph. When they're hot they're hot .. when they're not they're not.

It seemed to be a "trend" with Bruce, and we had a lot of discussions on this forum on it..."What are we going to do with this guy?". And from what I've read on Puig, it was similar. Both were a source of "frustration" in the years they were with their respective teams because the question always was "When are they going to finally putt it together?".

They couldn't, or they'd probably still be with their respective teams. Their inconsistency is what made them expendable.

Based solely on the eye test ... Puig reminds me of Brandon Phillips when it comes to plate approach. Very little discipline, and just try to mash the ball (LOL).
    Last edited by GAC; 06-12-2019 at 04:23 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    So you guys are saying that some players arent more streaky or clutch than other players? Thats just false.
    Hitters are referred to as clutch. Pitcher almost never are. When a hitter succeeds in a "clutch" situation, and does so on what seems to be a regular basis, he is deemed clutch. Even though he still probably fails better that 65% of the time, and his "clutch" numbers are usually not that much outside his overall career norms.

Also, the pitcher in said "clutch" situation matters. It's confirmation bias. "Player X is clutch, well he's usually clutch, but Max Scherzer was insane today..."

Lot's of people have spurts of greatness in them. They bubble to the surface in crucial situations, in games, work, life. Usually though, it isn't a turn it on skill, because why was Player A considered clutch in his career because he happened to get a few RBI's in a late and close situation, but prior to that plate appearance, he was 0-3?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The AAA guys are the Fool's Gold, I'm surprised this needs to be said.
    Aquino has legit power. We know that. He's been a top 20 guy in the Red's system more than a few times, got as high as #6. He seemingly has a new approach.

He might be Nelson Cruz/Edwin Encarnacion. Wakeup calls are real.
    Use a Cocktail Stick!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Hitters are referred to as clutch. Pitcher almost never are. When a hitter succeeds in a "clutch" situation, and does so on what seems to be a regular basis, he is deemed clutch. Even though he still probably fails better that 65% of the time, and his "clutch" numbers are usually not that much outside his overall career norms.

Also, the pitcher in said "clutch" situation matters. It's confirmation bias. "Player X is clutch, well he's usually clutch, but Max Scherzer was insane today..."

Lot's of people have spurts of greatness in them. They bubble to the surface in crucial situations, in games, work, life. Usually though, it isn't a turn it on skill, because why was Player A considered clutch in his career because he happened to get a few RBI's in a late and close situation, but prior to that plate appearance, he was 0-3?

- - - Updated - - -

Aquino has legit power. We know that. He's been a top 20 guy in the Red's system more than a few times, got as high as #6. He seemingly has a new approach.

He might be Nelson Cruz/Edwin Encarnacion. Wakeup calls are real.
    Both Edwin and Cruz had much better minor league career numbers than Aquino does though, and both were in the major playing regularly by the time they were Aquino’s age. And he still can’t take a walk for much of anything. I mean give him a bench spot and play him here and there and see what happens I guess, but his numbers still don’t really inspire hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

11. Likes:

Rolando (06-12-2019)

Looking better the last couple weeks. His line for the last 15 games is at .293/.339/.552 with 4 HR in 59 ABs. He might be finally coming out of the first third of the season crater he fell into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Looking better the last couple weeks. His line for the last 15 games is at .293/.339/.552 with 4 HR in 59 ABs. He might be finally coming out of the first third of the season crater he fell into.
    I was a bit surprised to find he's actually been around his usual performance for about the last month plus. After dropping to a season low of a .178/.211/.327 on May 2, he's hit .274/.324/.496 since. That's not a huge line though, a lot of mediocrity sandwiched in there, so hopefully a real hot streak is taking place/coming to push his line even further along.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-22-2019)

15 HR. 11 SB. OPS climbing. 41 RBI. Pretty stellar defense in RF.

Everyone still eager to send him away at deadline?

Im still into signing him.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post

I’m still into signing him.
    I'm pretty sure he'll be leading the team in meaningless RBI's very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post

I’m still into signing him.
    I'd be interested in a short prove it deal. Obviously a lot depends on the rest of the season but its not like this team has some great option waiting in the wings. He will most likely want to test free agency so I'm hoping he keeps mashing and they can atleast get a draft pick if he walks.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    I'm pretty sure he'll be leading the team in meaningless RBI's very soon!
    Why are his rbis meaningless
    Crazy Reds Fan

i like it, i like it.

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
    2019 Totals 68 65 274 256 29 60 8 1 14 38 10 2 14 68 .234 .277 .438 .715
    Last 7 days 6 6 24 22 5 8 1 1 3 5 1 0 1 5 .364 .417 .909 1.326
    Last 14 days 10 10 40 38 6 14 3 1 3 5 1 0 1 9 .368 .400 .737 1.137
    Last 28 days 22 22 92 87 11 24 4 1 6 10 3 0 4 21 .276 .315 .552 .867

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 6/21/2019.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

22. Likes:

CrackerJack (06-22-2019),Goose (06-22-2019),TRF (06-24-2019)

Turn Off Ads?