Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speeding Cameras in Toledo

Re: Speeding Cameras in Toledo

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I think we're saying the same thing in different ways. I'm all for higher speed limits. But we need to train American drivers like they do in Germany, and I don't see that happening due to American individualism culture. And we need to engineer roads so that turning and merging and exiting don't become areas where mainline traffic slows down, causing that greater speed delta I mentioned.
    In Germany, the delta between diver speeds is enormous (some drive 100 mph, some 60 mph, and trucks are at 50 mph). But, they are strict about using the left lane only for passing, and it fact, it's the law. It is that way in many states here too, but for whatever reason Ohio resists it and we have too many people cruising at 60 in the left lane.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    In Germany, the delta between diver speeds is enormous (some drive 100 mph, some 60 mph, and trucks are at 50 mph). But, they are strict about using the left lane only for passing, and it fact, it's the law. It is that way in many states here too, but for whatever reason Ohio resists it and we have too many people cruising at 60 in the left lane.
    And that’s the only reason I support the death penalty.

They have cameras for this but none for the strike zone.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Thanks for this timely thread. Heading from cincy all the way to Sault Ste. Marie on I-75 for a fishing trip in the north channel of lake Huron soon. I will pay extra attention to speed in the Toledo area.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

They just banned these in Texas. The idea is they are ticketing the vehicle and not the driver, which makes it unconstitutional. They can't tell who is driving so they cannot legally ticket you.

BTW, my understanding is the fine is unenforceable in most states.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

7. Likes:

goreds2 (06-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    They just banned these in Texas. The idea is they are ticketing the vehicle and not the driver, which makes it unconstitutional. They can't tell who is driving so they cannot legally ticket you.

BTW, my understanding is the fine is unenforceable in most states.
    It may or not be enforceable, but if the town issues a warrant on you (pretty much automatic of you don't pay) and you get stopped in another state, you get arrested. Just try telling the cop that the ticket you got was issued by a camera and isn't enforceable.

It is a scam and towns should be ashamed of using them.

The Toledo cameras do not issue warrants, nor do you get any points on your license for a traffic violation. There's no legal ramifications to not paying the ticket at all, the only thing they can do is file a civil action where they take you to collection and ding your credit.

10. Likes:

TRF (06-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    The Toledo cameras do not issue warrants, nor do you get any points on your license for a traffic violation. There's no legal ramifications to not paying the ticket at all, the only thing they can do is file a civil action where they take you to collection and ding your credit.
    That varies though depending on the municipality. I got a ticket in PA in a "targeted enforcement zone" (speed trap) and it was also an administrative fine and I did not get points on my license. I paid the ticket through the mail, but apparently payment arrived a day late because in a few days I received a warrant for my arrest for "driving a vehicle in a restricted area". A phone call cleared it up, but imagine the cluster if you were driving a rental vehicle and it took weeks to get the ticket to you, not mention the administrative charges the rental company also applies.

A real cop needs to get his fat butt out of the car and hand you a ticket. It isn't enough to ticket the car.

Turn Off Ads?