Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Lodolo, LHP - 2019 1st round pick, 7th overall

Re: Nick Lodolo - 2019 1st round pick, 7th overall

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The players don’t matter. At all. They are laundry.
    I think you're making the argument, frankly. Because 99% of the time that's true. The other 1% of the time there's an exciting prospect that people actually have heard of. Well, maybe it's 98/2, because there's also the occasional MLB player on rehab assignment.

2. Likes:

757690 (06-04-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Couldn’t care less.

I go to Toledo Mud Hens games sometimes. The players don’t matter. At all. They are laundry. It’s cheap baseball with relatively cheap beer and hot dogs.

I know more about who is playing than 90% of the fans in attendance and I don’t care who they are.
    Same as it is here in Bham. Maybe a handful of folks know Luis Robert is special. Oh well, still fun to go watch and drink beer

Re: Nick Lodolo, LHP - 2019 1st round pick, 7th overall

What a number of you are saying is typically disrespectful of minor league fans. Maybe true in larger cities like Toledo or Birmingham, not true in smaller places. As a minor league fan of a long time, and somebody who has discussed this issue with people in minor league management, I suggest there is very general agreement among minor league FO folks that a key factor in keeping people coming back year to year for minor league baseball is the degree to which they identify with the major league team. When people see major leaguers whom they've seen in the minors, they're more likely to stay loyal to the minor league teams.

6. Likes:

757690 (06-04-2019),redsmetz (06-04-2019)

Couldn’t care less.

I go to Toledo Mud Hens games sometimes. The players don’t matter. At all. They are laundry. It’s cheap baseball with relatively cheap beer and hot dogs.

I know more about who is playing than 90% of the fans in attendance and I don’t care who they are.
    You're a Reds fan seeing a Tigers farm team. Most Billings Mustang fans are Reds fans and do care about the players. There was a great documentary on the Mustangs about 10 years ago. It showed how committed the town and fans are to the Reds.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

8. Likes:

HokieRed (06-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You're a Reds fan seeing a Tigers farm team. Most Billings Mustang fans are Reds fans and do care about the players. There was a great documentary on the Mustangs about 10 years ago. It showed how committed the town and fans are to the Reds.
    If they are such big Reds fans maybe they will be happy to see faster development with a player that can help the major league team sooner rather than later. The guy was the consensus best pitcher in the draft who is probably already close to a AA talent who has no business pitching against high school hitters and organizational fodder.

I value an affiliation that has stuck with an organization for 45 years but I would think that they can understand why certain players would not come through town. I would guess that they will be getting an extended look at the 2 high school hitters he took in this draft.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

10. Likes:

757690 (06-04-2019)

I think it actually does help to maintain a good relationship with a good affiliate which by all accounts Billings has been, and having a recent first round pick come through probably helps attendance a bit.

But, a good relationship does not necessarily entail “send every single first rounder through there” either. They just got Greene and India through there the last couple years at the very least. They’ll live if they don’t get this guy too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

As a college guy, if he can transition to the pro game well he has a real chance to move quickly. It's not like there's a lot of starting talent in his way (especially with Greene's surgery).

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I follow the tigers as well. I’ve been to Bats games, it doesn’t matter to me.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Can't believe anybody's development is terribly disrupted by a couple weeks in a particular place. As a minor league baseball fan, and Reds fan, I think major league organizations have some responsibility to their minor league owners and fans.
    It's time wasted on inferior competition. Lodolo won't be throwing a ton of innings for the rest of this year. Get him the work he needs at an appropriate level. I can see being more loosey-goosey with hitters. They've got 200+ PAs before their season is over.

Maybe it's because the Reds historically have taken so few college arms in the first round that we forget it's fairly common for them to skip the rookie leagues.

Nick Howard - Skipped Billings, split time between the AZL and Dayton.
    Michael Lorenzen - Skipped Billings, only 1 IP in the AZL.
    Mike Leake - Skipped the minors entirely.
    Brad Boxberger - Started in A+ after a spell in the Arizona Fall League.
    Ryan Wagner - Started in AA.
    C.J. Nitkowski - Started in AA.
    Jack Armstrong - Split time between Billings and AA.
    Mike Sullivan - Pitched in Billings.

So you've got to go back to 1987 for a Reds 1st round college arm who spent any time in Billings. This is nothing new. The folks in Billings will be fine.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

15. Likes:

HammerTime (06-04-2019),membengal (06-04-2019),Tom Servo (06-04-2019)

Nick Lodolo Twitter account: https://twitter.com/nicklodolo (it's locked at the moment)
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's time wasted on inferior competition. Lodolo won't be throwing a ton of innings for the rest of this year. Get him the work he needs at an appropriate level. I can see being more loosey-goosey with hitters. They've got 200+ PAs before their season is over.

Maybe it's because the Reds historically have taken so few college arms in the first round that we forget it's fairly common for them to skip the rookie leagues.

Nick Howard - Skipped Billings, split time between the AZL and Dayton.
    Michael Lorenzen - Skipped Billings, only 1 IP in the AZL.
    Mike Leake - Skipped the minors entirely.
    Brad Boxberger - Started in A+ after a spell in the Arizona Fall League.
    Ryan Wagner - Started in AA.
    C.J. Nitkowski - Started in AA.
    Jack Armstrong - Split time between Billings and AA.
    Mike Sullivan - Pitched in Billings.

So you've got to go back to 1987 for a Reds 1st round college arm who spent any time in Billings. This is nothing new. The folks in Billings will be fine.
    mic drop.
    Use a Cocktail Stick!

Back to lodolo's (I'll capitalize his name after he signs) innings this year. He's at 91 IP and he's getting a couple of weeks off. I'd say his first 3-4 starts are of the 3-4 IP variety. He gets ramped up to 5 IP in his 5th start. (CODDLE THY PITCHERS.... AGGRESSIVELY). By his 5th start he'll at about 107 IP. 2 starts of 5 IP and he's around 117, a 40 IP jump from 2018. I'd likely push him two more starts past that to 8 starts and near 130 IP, but I won't complain if they shut him down at 120. It's a much different situation than Hunter Greene, but Josiah Gray is a good comp. Gray pitched 93 innings in college in 2018 and another 52 for Greenville after he was drafted. After being dealt to the Dodgers he's now at 4 IP on the year. He's struggled at A+ but mostly dominated Low A though with few IP.

lodolo is only 2-3 months younger than Gray, but has more IP built up on his arm, and is likely better suited to take on additional innings this year.
    Use a Cocktail Stick!

I wouldn't work him more than another 30, and the idea that two three inning starts against Billings' competition is going to thwart his development is not worth commenting on.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I wouldn't work him more than another 30, and the idea that two three inning starts against Billings' competition is going to thwart his development is not worth commenting on.
    No, but it will be a waste of his time to drag him up to Montana. The people of Billings will survive.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

The people of Billings will survive.
    Are you sure? Winter is pretty rough there.

Turn Off Ads?