Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 224

Thread: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

  1. #16
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,326

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    I don't think they were criticized for running up the score. I think most knew the other teams were going to be playing them as well and goal differential matters. The criticism cam from the level of celebration for the last 5-6.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    38,157

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I don't think they were criticized for running up the score. I think most knew the other teams were going to be playing them as well and goal differential matters. The criticism cam from the level of celebration for the last 5-6.
    If you score a goal in the World Cup, you deserve to celebrate it.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  4. Likes:

    Chip R (06-14-2019)

  5. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,112

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If you score a goal in the World Cup, you deserve to celebrate it.
    There is only one World Cup. What is being played right now is the women’s World Cup. It is a “version” of the original. How you celebrate a goal is definitely earned, but so is the right for a spectator to judge anything that goes on in the contest.

  6. #19
    Member North's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Reading is fundamental.
    Posts
    96

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    Next match:

    USA vs. Chile, Sunday June 16, 12:00 PM on Fox national feed. It's followed by round 4 of the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach, if you are a golf fan.
    Fiat justitia ruat caleum. Nolo timere. Laus Deo.

  7. Likes:

    Chip R (06-14-2019),Kingspoint (06-13-2019)

  8. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,503

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    ...
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  9. #21
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    38,157

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    There is only one World Cup. What is being played right now is the women’s World Cup. It is a “version” of the original. How you celebrate a goal is definitely earned, but so is the right for a spectator to judge anything that goes on in the contest.
    If you're a woman, it's your World Cup. We're each free to judge as we wish, but my take is amateur standards don't apply. These women have been playing their whole lives to get to this tournament. It's the absolute pinnacle. Celebrate your goals.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  10. Likes:

    North (06-14-2019),Revering4Blue (06-14-2019)

  11. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,503

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    It's Women's soccer that has brought the U.S. international attention in the sport of soccer over the last 20 years, not Men's, and it's Women's soccer that has inspired more soccer to be played in the U.S., not Men's, over the last 20 years.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  12. Likes:

    Chip R (06-14-2019)

  13. #23
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,351

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It's Women's soccer that has brought the U.S. international attention in the sport of soccer over the last 20 years, not Men's, and it's Women's soccer that has inspired more soccer to be played in the U.S., not Men's, over the last 20 years.
    Ehhh, I agree the women have been great, but it’s a ton of different factors inspiring more soccer being played in the US, and it includes both the women’s and men’s teams, World Cup soccer in general, the EPL, Ronaldo and Messi, among other things. Folks act like the men’s team is the sisters of the poor. I think the 02 team reaching he round of 8 with a young Landon Donovan was a pretty big deal and Clint Dempsey is beloved by US soccer fans. I would also argue the rivalry between the men’s team and Mexico is a huge deal.

    I love the USWNT team, but some of this hyperbole, like seen in your post, is well, hyperbole.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  14. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,503

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ehhh, I agree the women have been great, but it’s a ton of different factors inspiring more soccer being played in the US, and it includes both the women’s and men’s teams, World Cup soccer in general, the EPL, Ronaldo and Messi, among other things. Folks act like the men’s team is the sisters of the poor. I think the 02 team reaching he round of 8 with a young Landon Donovan was a pretty big deal and Clint Dempsey is beloved by US soccer fans. I would also argue the rivalry between the men’s team and Mexico is a huge deal.

    I love the USWNT team, but some of this hyperbole, like seen in your post, is well, hyperbole.
    Most of that stuff you mention, I've never heard of. The casual soccer fan doesn't pay attention to it. 17 years? That was cool...for about six months. Outside of that...nothing. The average person in the U.S., and even the casual soccer fan, pays attention to soccer because the Women's team keeps it in the main news streams.

    The Men's team isn't even the sisters of the poor...they are the long, lost cousin.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-14-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  15. #25
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,351

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Most of that stuff you mention, I've never heard of. The casual soccer fan doesn't pay attention to it. 17 years? That was cool...for about six months. Outside of that...nothing. The average person in the U.S., and even the casual soccer fan, pays attention to soccer because the Women's team keeps it in the main news streams.

    The Men's team isn't even the sisters of the poor...they are the long, lost cousin.
    The casual soccer fan has never heard of the rivalry between the USMNT and Mexico? Like, what?

    Dos y Cero was a huge deal leading up to the 14 cup.

    You don’t know what the EPL and Ronaldo and Messi are?

    I know your thing is to make ridiculous absolute statements like the above, so I’ll just drop it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  16. #26
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,351

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    25.5 million people tuned in for the USMNT GROUP STAGE match against Portugal in 2014, but yeah, no one pays attention to the USMNT.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  17. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,503

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The casual soccer fan has never heard of the rivalry between the USMNT and Mexico? Like, what?

    Dos y Cero was a huge deal leading up to the 14 cup.

    You don’t know what the EPL and Ronaldo and Messi are?

    I know your thing is to make ridiculous absolute statements like the above, so I’ll just drop it.
    Yes. The casual soccer fan has never heard of that stuff.

    There's a rivalry between Mexico and the U.S.?

    Messi? Who's he?

    The EPL? What's that?

    Ronaldo? Is he still alive? Does he play for some Spanish team or something?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  18. #28
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,351

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    Take a look at this list of tv ratings for soccer matches in the US. The women’s final against Japan in 15 is most watched US game but note the overwhelming majority of matches on this list are men’s team matches over the past 10-15 years, including the aforementioned group stage game against Portugal which almost matched the women’s final against Japan.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inq...outputType=amp
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  19. #29
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,351

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Yes. The casual soccer fan has never heard of that stuff.

    There's a rivalry between Mexico and the U.S.?

    Messi? Who's he?

    The EPL? What's that?

    Ronaldo? Is he still alive? Does he play for some Spanish team or something?

    Lol. Wow.

    By the way, the most watched soccer match in US tv history featured Messi. Argentina vs Germany World Cup Final.

    Christiano Ronaldo (the Portuguese player that was in the group stage match against the USMNT in 2014 they drew 25 million American viewers).

    The English Premier League, which has matches on broadcast television (NBC) every weekend and is becoming increasingly popular in the United States.

    This post explains your ignorance on this subject.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  20. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,503

    Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Take a look at this list of tv ratings for soccer matches in the US. The women’s final against Japan in 15 is most watched US game but note the overwhelming majority of matches on this list are men’s team matches over the past 10-15 years, including the aforementioned group stage game against Portugal which almost matched the women’s final against Japan.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inq...outputType=amp
    What does that have to do with the Men's U.S. Soccer team. They aren't tuning into those games to watch the U.S. Men, unless I read it wrong.

    There are a lot of people of foreign nationality in the U.S. who are tuning into the World Cup. That's the majority of those viewers.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-14-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator