Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: At what point do you think about sending Winker down for a while?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

At what point do you think about sending Winker down for a while?

Something is extremely off with the guy. In his last 30 games he’s hitting .240/.319/.365 and has looked awful doing it.

This Red Reporter article from a couple weeks ago reveals he’s getting completely eaten alive by changeups:

https://www.redreporter.com/2019/5/2...geup-walk-rate

It seems like whatever he’s doing at the moment is completely not working. Maybe it’s a bit of an overreaction but it feels like it might help to send him down to focus on just fixing this problem for a couple weeks, and to get himself out of his own head so much at the very least.

2. Likes:

DocRed (06-13-2019),Redeyecat (06-12-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: At what point do you think about sending Winker down for a while?

Never. He’s awesomely amazing.

5. Likes:

Mitri (06-12-2019),Rantly (06-12-2019)

The biggest problem with Winker is that when he's not tearing the cover off the ball he's basically useless do to his poor defense. He was trending towards being one of the worst players in MLB last year before he started knocking the cover off the ball in June. I think you have to give him at least until the ASB if not the end of the season to get it going. He's a guy who just can't be south of an .800 ops and add much to the team. He has a -0.4 WAR now with a .750ops.

7. Likes:

DocRed (06-13-2019)

I get razzed for praising Ervin’s ability to work an at-bat, but given the pathetic OB% of this entire team down to its expensive middle of the order, you’d think more Ervin (and Casali) would be the move.

9. Likes:

Mitri (06-12-2019),Old NDN (06-12-2019),Powder River (06-13-2019),TheBigLebowski (06-12-2019),Tony Cloninger (06-12-2019)

I was not concerned at all about his power and the low batting average doesn't bother me much either, but the walks drying up is a concern. I don't see any reason not to let him play through it but a Louisville tune-up could be in order if the numbers keep free falling.

Ervin had a .327 OBP in his extended look from late July to September last year. I like him as the short side of a platoon but not for much more than that.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I think about it all the time.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

12. Likes:

North (06-13-2019),RedlegJ (06-13-2019)

Walks aren't supposed to slump, something very off with him, coaching? falling in love with the HR?

Send him down when Scooter comes back.
    Go Gators!

14. Likes:

wlf WV (06-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I get razzed for praising Ervin’s ability to work an at-bat, but given the pathetic OB% of this entire team down to its expensive middle of the order, you’d think more Ervin (and Casali) would be the move.

I know they may be short term fixes but I have always liked Ervin and his OBP ability with decent power.
    O’Grady is someone who had the same OBP and sone decent power skills until he looked peaked out in 2017.
    He has rebounded very well and he has above average speed.

Let’s see what they can do over Winker and Van Meter. Or play Van Meter more at least and bring up Ervin.

16. Likes:

TRF (06-12-2019)

Something's gotta give pretty soon with Winker and a stint in AAA makes a lot more sense than riding the pines up here. I'd probably rely on my scouts and coaches to get a consensus on whether now is the time or if we wait till the ASG or the return of Scooter if nothing changes. But I guess I'm inclined to make the move now. Call up O'Grady or Ervin and give some more opportunities to one of them and VanMeter.

No one with options is un-optionable.

yeah i know, not a word.

Aquino, Longhi, Blandino and Ervin are all scorching AAA pitching. Ervin and Blandino are the only ones on the 40 man roster.

The Reds may be saving Aquino for RF next year. I mean you never know. And yeah, Scooter's return seems imminent. As does Wood. There are going to be some roster moves, and soon.

I wish I had a good answer. I think Winker's rope shrinks daily. Add to the fact that he's a nominal defender, and I can certainly see a trip to Louisville to clear his head. Dietrich/Peraza in a LF platoon, Scooter playing 5 games out of 7 for a few weeks. Wood returns and no way do I see Mahle going to AAA. He's seemingly getting better each week. Disco bought himself another start. Roark is scuffling but has come off a pretty good stretch in May. Castillo... ace. Gray, consistently pitching like a #2, and has a LTC. Both are safe.

A lot of tough decisions looming. Maybe Winker AND Peraza need a trip to Kentucky.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

19. Likes:

757690 (06-12-2019),DocRed (06-13-2019)

Winker’s career WAR after 195 MLB games and 690 PA’s....

21. Likes:

M2 (06-12-2019),TheBigLebowski (06-13-2019)

Are people really buying fully into the AAA offensive numbers? I think they may need to start being viewed as similar to Pacific Coast League stats, as more of a power-friendly rough sketch than a real indication of that hitter's true talent level. It was one thing when it was Van Meter and also an older prospect like O'Grady because they had some success last year, but Nick Longhi and Aristidues Aquino both coming out of nowhere with these insane slugging percentages after they never got any traction in Double A should start raising some flags for everyone involved, especially since it's well discussed that the ball in the International League has changed. It's far better to see them hitting than not, but I don't think you should be handing out jobs or penciling these guys into meaningful ABs on that basis alone.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-12-2019),alwaysawarrior (06-13-2019),JCM11 (06-12-2019),Kinsm (06-12-2019),North (06-13-2019),OGB (06-13-2019),RiverRat13 (06-12-2019),Ron Madden (06-12-2019),ScotlandRed (06-12-2019),Wonderful Monds (06-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Winker’s career WAR after 195 MLB games and 690 PA’s....

In bWAR, it's 1.1 in fWAR. Sorry to fact check your brilliant running gag, I remember when Stephenson (0.7 fWAR for him) was your preferred whipping boy to rile up the damn Redszone nerds.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Are people really buying fully into the AAA offensive numbers? I think they may need to start being viewed as similar to Pacific Coast League stats, as more of a power-friendly rough sketch than a real indication of that hitter's true talent level. It was one thing when it was Van Meter and also an older prospect like O'Grady because they had some success last year, but Nick Longhi and Aristidues Aquino both coming out of nowhere with these insane slugging percentages after they never got any traction in Double A should start raising some flags for everyone involved, especially since it's well discussed that the ball in the International League has changed. It's far better to see them hitting than not, but I don't think you should be handing out jobs or penciling these guys into meaningful ABs on that basis alone.
    Yeah, the juiced ball seems to be the obvious difference and the one common factor between everyone of those hitters. I’m not planning my roster around O’Grady, Longhi, or Aquino. Maybe Aquino gets a shot at the bench next spring and gets some opportunities after that if he plays well, given that he was a decently regarded prospect before. But it seems pretty obvious to me what’s going on with those guys, and counting on any of them to be the answer to anything seems like an extremely bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    In bWAR, it's 1.1 in fWAR. Sorry to fact check your brilliant running gag, I remember when Stephenson (0.7 fWAR for him) was your preferred whipping boy to rile up the damn Redszone nerds.
    Stop pushing poor players and I wouldn’t have to continue with a “running gag” with you “redszone nerds.”

Just sharing facts.

Turn Off Ads?