Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

  1. #1
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,515

    Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    Holy mother of God, this is good.

    Reading mostly raving reviews, let me know your thoughts.

    Never thought I would like Burt Bacharach/early 70s Glen Campbell mixed with Springsteen, but man, this is a gorgeous, gorgeous record.

  2. Likes:

    klw (06-14-2019),reds1869 (06-14-2019)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,825

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    I have to sit with it for awhile, but I think this will go down as one of his best, which is astonishing at his age. Tour should be fun.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

  5. Likes:

    Dom Heffner (06-14-2019),klw (06-14-2019),reds1869 (06-14-2019)

  6. #3
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    12,925

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Holy mother of God, this is good.

    Reading mostly raving reviews, let me know your thoughts.

    Never thought I would like Burt Bacharach/early 70s Glen Campbell mixed with Springsteen, but man, this is a gorgeous, gorgeous record.
    Brice Springsteen?

    It is wonderful. Really wonderful. It is also better as a total piece than the songs in isolation. I was a little worried as the opening songs is one of the weaker ones but it just soaks in. I really find Drive Fast, Sundown and Moonlight Motel to be really powerful emotionally. He has an amazing ability to write some devastating lyrics. I had to take a break from it after a full listen through. Wonderfully sound to it too.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I have to sit with it for awhile, but I think this will go down as one of his best, which is astonishing at his age. Tour should be fun.
    Except there is no plan to tour at this point. Last pronouncement was that he will record with E Street in the fall and tour with that album next year.

  7. #4
    TyrannoSuarez Wrecks WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    14,354

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Brice Springsteen?
    You may know him better as The Bess.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

  8. Likes:

    klw (06-14-2019),Rojo (06-24-2019)

  9. #5
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    23,935

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    I’m thinking of going as Austin Brice Springsteen next Halloween.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

  10. Likes:

    Chip R (06-18-2019),klw (06-14-2019)

  11. #6
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,825

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Except there is no plan to tour at this point. Last pronouncement was that he will record with E Street in the fall and tour with that album next year.
    Just saw that, bummer! Would have liked to see this album live.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

  12. #7
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,668

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    You may know him better as The Bess.
    His biggest hit is "Bort in the U.S.A."

  13. #8
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Downtown Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,636

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Just saw that, bummer! Would have liked to see this album live.
    He puts on the best live show I've ever seen. His tour with Tom Morello as part of the band was epic.

  14. #9
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,668

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    Got a chance to listen to the entire album today. I love it. His best album in quite awhile.

  15. #10
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    48,950

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    It's interesting, I'm going to have to give it a few more listens. My Bruce mania is the first five albums which I adore, everything after that is always this and that... but that falls on me.

  16. #11
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,126

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    Great album.

    When it’s all said and done I don’t know who can top his body of work.

  17. Likes:

    marcshoe (06-17-2019)

  18. #12
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    12,925

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    What a great 1:57


    Came into town with a pocketful of songs
    I made the rounds
    But I didn't last long

    Now I'm out on this highway
    With a bone-cold chill
    Somewhere north of Nashville
    I lie awake in the middle of the night
    Makin' a list of things that I didn't do right
    With you at the top of a long page filled
    Here, somewhere north of Nashville
    For the deal I made, the price was strong
    I traded you for this song

    We woke each morning with hearts filled
    Bluebird of love on the windowsill
    Now the heart's unsteady, and the night is still
    All I've got's this melody, and time to kill
    Here, somewhere north of Nashville
    Here, somewhere north of Nashville
    Here, somewhere north of Nashville

  19. Likes:

    757690 (06-17-2019),marcshoe (06-17-2019),Redsfaithful (06-18-2019)

  20. #13
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    23,935

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's interesting, I'm going to have to give it a few more listens. My Bruce mania is the first five albums which I adore, everything after that is always this and that... but that falls on me.
    This is pretty much where I am, though I would include Nebraska among his best, and leave out The River (should have been a single album). All of them are a class above the standard, words and music that touch your soul and last a lifetime.

    Everything after that is mostly decent, very listenable, but not memorable, though with a few gems hidden in there. This last one is one of his better ones from that second group, but it’s nothing like anything from that first group.

    I will add that he wrote that first group when he was miserable, and depressed, then he met his current wife Patti, started to become happy, and the writing was all downhill after that, lol.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

  21. Likes:

    Chip R (06-18-2019)

  22. #14
    Member marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Twice upon a midnight dreary.
    Posts
    9,338

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    What a great 1:57


    Came into town with a pocketful of songs
    I made the rounds
    But I didn't last long

    Now I'm out on this highway
    With a bone-cold chill
    Somewhere north of Nashville
    I lie awake in the middle of the night
    Makin' a list of things that I didn't do right
    With you at the top of a long page filled
    Here, somewhere north of Nashville
    For the deal I made, the price was strong
    I traded you for this song

    We woke each morning with hearts filled
    Bluebird of love on the windowsill
    Now the heart's unsteady, and the night is still
    All I've got's this melody, and time to kill
    Here, somewhere north of Nashville
    Here, somewhere north of Nashville
    Here, somewhere north of Nashville
    Madison? Franklin, KY? Bowling Green? That place where the dinosaurs lurk by the interstate?

    Seriously, I've had this on the last couple of days, and I don't see any way this doesn't dominate my summer listening. I've been a huge fan since my 16-year-old self heard Darkness on the Edge of Town and wondered why, if this kind of thing was possible, more people weren't doing it. When I was eighteen, The River came out. So dark, like an 18-year-old's mind. His albums have sustained me through my internal darkness, and this one may join his best.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 06-17-2019 at 11:12 PM.
    “[Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

  23. Likes:

    Redsfaithful (06-18-2019)

  24. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,521

    Re: Brice Springsteen Western Stars Release

    OK, I waited a long time to open this thread because it said, "Brice".
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  25. Likes:

    marcshoe (06-18-2019)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator