Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: At what point should we cheer to tank the season?

Re: At what point should we cheer to tank the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Gummer View Post
    If the Reds continue their stranglehold on last place this would be the 5th season in a row a feat the Reds have never accomplished before in team history.Ownership and the front office must be proud
    Hopefully this is allowed

https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...IN/index.shtml
    They really need to start letting people run the team who aren’t related to ownership

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-16-2019),CRDB40 (06-16-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    They really need to start letting people run the team who aren’t related to ownership
    Seems to work for the Bengals.

Oh wait, no it doesn't. Same nepotism/cronyism poisoned results.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    OTOH, the Reds were trading for somebody's contract that his former team didn't want to pay. Now that a lot of that contract is paid, the appeal of these guys might be the same as they were for a full season.
    Pretty inventive argument for why Reds should get the same return for a two month rental as for a full season. Like it. Overall, though I don’t think Reds will advance the ball much by trading their impending FAs. I don’t think you disagree based on your full post.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-16-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Pretty inventive argument for why Reds should get the same return for a two month rental as for a full season. Like it. Overall, though I don’t think Reds will advance the ball much by trading their impending FAs. I don’t think you disagree based on your full post.
    They need to get whatever they can get because the organization is thin and they have a lot of holes to fill. Any depth added for guys who will be gone anyway puts them in a better position to add later.

It's another reason to start now. It can be a three and a half month rental.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

They need to get whatever they can get because the organization is thin and they have a lot of holes to fill. Any depth added for guys who will be gone anyway puts them in a better position to add later.

It's another reason to start now. It can be a three and a half month rental.
    The debate is whether having an improved W-L record in 2019 is more important than adding “whatever they can get.” Both sides have been amply expressed on that.

8. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-16-2019)

The debate is whether having an improved W-L record in 2019 is more important than adding “whatever they can get.” Both sides have been amply expressed on that.
    I'm clearly on the side of 2019 being toast and a few wins in August and September have little to no value to the ongoing organization. I think the outcome is already written, 77 wins vs 71 wins won't matter to the fanbase. But another season that's over by Memorial Day again next year will. Anything they can get now helps avoid that.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-16-2019)

I'm clearly on the side of 2019 being toast and a few wins in August and September have little to no value to the ongoing organization. I think the outcome is already written, 77 wins vs 71 wins won't matter to the fanbase. But another season that's over by Memorial Day again next year will. Anything they can get now helps avoid that.
    Noticed this today. The Reds are +39 RS/RA. Last season Reds were - 123. That’s a pick up of 162 in RS/RA. While this is not entirely reflected in the W-L column, it shows me a meaningful improvement in the Reds team.

I’d hate to turn back. There’s much more to build on now. And I don’t see how deadline sales for second tier prospects would accomplish much beyond hurting the 2019 W-L.

So we depart on this and it will be interesting to see the Reds’ own view of it. Probably somewhere in between, maybe a few deadline deals, but not the sell off some have in mind.

Always enjoy talking with you.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-16-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Noticed this today. The Reds are +39 RS/RA. Last season Reds were - 123. That’s a pick up of 162 in RS/RA. While this is not entirely reflected in the W-L column, it shows me a meaningful improvement in the Reds team.

I’d hate to turn back. There’s much more to build on now. And I don’t see how how deadline sales for mid-level prospects would accomplish much beyond hurting the 2019 W-L.

So we depart on this and it will be interesting to see the Reds’ own view of it. Probably somewhere in between, maybe a few deadline deals, but not the sell off some have in mind.
    Agree they are improved, but they are going to turn back anyway. Puig, Gennett, Roark, Iglesias, Wood, Hernandez and Duke are gone. Hughes may be. Next season they need a front line starter and probably another starter as well. They have Castillo and GRay. Disco and Mahle should probably compete for one spot. The have Garrett and Iglesias. They can bring back Hughes and Lorenzen, but if they are serious, at least two other bullpen options should be better than those guys. They have a gaping hole in RF an as of now at 2B and SS. Dietrich and Peraza are part time or bench guys. I think Winker and Senzel should be starters, but I don't see an in house option for RF. They probably need an upgrade behind the plate.

I'd be fine keeping a couple of these guys if they get extensions done now. Gennett and Iglesias are the two I'd extend. The pitching staff needs the upgrades and they really need more offense than the returnees can provide at C and RF. A couple more weeks of hot streak for Puig and send him off for something. Then give a long look to Aquino with the intent of raising his value as a trade piece this winter. When Roark and Wood go, do the same with Sims and give Stephenson and Reed pivotal roles in the pen. They need to move these guys out to find out if any of the in house arms are answers or can raise their value as trade pieces. I'd prefer to deal them for more established guys than count on them to be honest, but they need to raise their value for that to work.

13. Likes:

JCM11 (06-16-2019),Revering4Blue (06-16-2019)

It is never ok to cheer tanking. It's ok to cheer getting in the playoffs, winning the NL and winning the World Series. Losing is for losers.
    Where we gonna go?

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-16-2019)

Did nepotism cause Gennett and Wood to get hurt? Cause a large hunk of the starting 8 to have career worst offensive seasons? I don’t think nepotism is to blame here. But that beat goes on. Seems more like injury and underperformance that zero here saw coming.

17. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (06-16-2019)

I doubt a top 10 pick is going to happen..Perhaps top 15, but unless the pitching completely collapses or they trade away every decent pitcher they'll hang in to avoid the bottom of the barrel.. Remember, Pitt is also sucking big time as well.. I don't put nearly as much stock into baseball drafts as I do in football drafts.. We've seen far too many low draft picks in baseball thrive and a LOT of top picks just crash and burn over the years.

Turn Off Ads?