Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020 (I知 not your fwend buddy!)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 (I知 not your fwend buddy!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    M2, after you read this, tell me, because I can't figure it out, if Hood signs the $5.7M MLE, can they sign Aminu afterwards, with or without the Bird Rights?

It looks like they can sign Hood first to the $5.7M (which they will offer the minute FA opens), and afterwards sign Aminu because they will still be $.5M under the apron after making a QO to Layman of $1.9M), and after that retain Layman as an RFA. That puts them at 14 players.
    Seems like $5.7M is the magic number. If they exceed it for some combination of Hood, Kanter and Curry (I'm assuming none of them sign for under their non-Bird rights), then they hit the hard cap and there's zero room for Aminu. On the flip side, if they sign Aminu, they still have to stay under the $5.7M because it would trigger the hard cap. Simplest explanation seems to be they're in a bind.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-24-2019),Revering4Blue (06-25-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

NBA Awards are in.

MVP - Giannis
    MIP - Siakam
    Defensive Player - Gobert
    ROY - Doncic
    6th Man - Sweet Lou
    Coach of the Year - Budenholzer
    Exec of the Year - Jon Horst

Coddle thy pitchers.

Fwiw, I quoted someone's else's post on Bazemore's stats believing (I should know better than to requote before verifying) it was accurate. He only shot 32% and 33% from each Corner last year, horrible numbers, but he did shoot 43% and 44% the year before. Interesting that he is consistent from both sides. Most players are much better one or the other, mostly much better from the left corner with the backboard not psyching them out if they are right-handed. So, 3-point shots tend to be more wide open in Portland with teams focusing on Dame and C.J. and Nurk, so Bazemore should get back closer to his 2017-18 numbers.

Wiggins is a great Left Corner shooter, but Griffin usually plays on the Left Side, so that wouldn't work.

Russell is attractive in that he's a rare elite Right Corner shooter. Not many of them. Someone is going to offer him a max contract and regret it because Russell likes to shoot more often from places he's not as good at.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    NBA Awards are in.

MVP - Giannis
    MIP - Siakam
    Defensive Player - Gobert
    ROY - Doncic
    6th Man - Sweet Lou
    Coach of the Year - Budenholzer
    Exec of the Year - Jon Horst
    They either need to include the playoffs in the voting or announce the winners during the week following the regular season, while adding a week of rest for all playoff teams, as injuries are killing the quality of the playoffs every year.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Watching Bazemore shoot 3s last season was like watching Reggie Sanders swing at high fastballs in the 95 NLCS.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Watching Bazemore shoot 3s last season was like watching Reggie Sanders swing at high fastballs in the 95 NLCS.
    For more than half the year, he was typically unguarded too.

He got the Tony Allen treatment and still struggled.

Still, for his career, Bazemore has proven capable both in shooting the three and defending. (He took a major step back there as well in Atlanta's new system.)

He'll likely play with one of Lillard or McCollum, Trent, LaBassiere, and one of Nurkic or Leonard. (They may go with Harkless here instead of Skal at PF, but shouldn't. Labissiere has gotten stronger and has played well when given time, both offensively and defensively.) It wouldn't shock me, if Aminu is priced out of his contract, that Labissiere becomes the PF starter-- and a good one.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    For more than half the year, he was typically unguarded too.

He got the Tony Allen treatment and still struggled.

Still, for his career, Bazemore has proven capable both in shooting the three and defending. (He took a major step back there as well in Atlanta's new system.)

He'll likely play with one of Lillard or McCollum, Trent, LaBassiere, and one of Nurkic or Leonard. (They may go with Harkless here instead of Skal at PF, but shouldn't. Labissiere has gotten stronger and has played well when given time, both offensively and defensively.) It wouldn't shock me, if Aminu is priced out of his contract, that Labissiere becomes the PF starter-- and a good one.
    Got to believe Nurkic is going to miss most of the season.

Coddle thy pitchers.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-25-2019)

People can say all they want, but the reality is that a big guy is going to need a year-plus to get back to where he feels comfortable doing the things he was doing before with the injury he had.

I expect him back in January and his effectiveness to arrive about March, but not to be completely back until the following year.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-25-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Maybe.

They have Collins and Leonard in his stead.

If Leonard can play like he did against the Warriors, they'll be fine.

Random free agent prediction: Ricky Rubio to the Lakers

I haven't seen anything that indicates they're going to get together, but the Lakers are desperate for guards, particularly a pass-first PG. It seems like an automatic love connection.

Coddle thy pitchers.

It's likely going to be Meyers Leonard and Zach Collins splitting those minutes with Skal being worked in whenever possible. It puts pressure on Stotts to not leave Skal off the gameday active list in case of foul trouble by Leonard and/or Collins.

They won't want to play Skal more than 800 minutes on the season, and I envision him getting closer to 400.

I believe Aminu will be back as the Starting Left-Wing. If he's not back, I think Harkless starts with either Hood, if he signs, or Layman, if Hood doesn't, with Harkless on the Right Wing in both situations. Bazemore comes off the bench and plays both Wings. Ideally, Hood starts as Right-Wing and Aminu as Left-Wing. Layman has the experience of about 35 Starts in the NBA already. Bazemore will help the bench scoring. He doesn't fix the playoff issue of Lillard and C.J. being double-teamed, while it's an issue that doesn't have to be addressed until the regular season plays out and the roster shows it's growth from the season, including what may happen at the trade deadline and with buyouts.

Corner 3pt shooting %

Player Corner 3PM Corner 3PA Corner 3P%
    Al-Farouq Aminu..... 32 94 34.0%
    Moe Harkless....... 12 40 30.0%
    Rodney Hood........ 27 67 40.3%
    Seth Curry..... 26 53 49.1%
    Damian Lillard.... 10 32 31.3%
    CJ McCollum..... 21 42 50.0%
    Zach Collins.. 3 11 27.3%
    Jake Layman.... 10 42 23.8%

Percentages I am 100% sure will rise:

Harkless
    Layman
    Collins

Collins will be stuck at Center most of the year so he won't shoot but one every other week.

Harkless was injured all last year and it effected his shot. Healthy, he should be closer to 37-38% from the Right Corner.

These numbers would mean more if they were split into Left and Right Corner because it makes a huge difference for most people.

Layman is a pure shooter. He prefers his threes from a 45-degree angle, as most players do, based on volume, but the Corner is still the shortest shot. He should get next year on the Left Corner from 40-45% and from the Right Corner from 35-42%.

Bazemore should get back to 40+% from both sides.

Hood, if he signs, could be 50% from the Left Corner and 42-45% from the Right. He barely had time to learn enough of the Offense to feel comfortable. Training camp is important.

- - - Updated - - -

Random free agent prediction: Ricky Rubio to the Lakers

I haven't seen anything that indicates they're going to get together, but the Lakers are desperate for guards, particularly a pass-first PG. It seems like an automatic love connection.
    That makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I flew out from Portland for that. Atlanta's pitchers were turning around and rubbing the dirt on the back of the mound before he swung.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Maybe.

They have Collins and Leonard in his stead.

If Leonard can play like he did against the Warriors, they'll be fine.
    Defensive rebounding seems like it might be an issue with those guys, especially if Aminu and Kanter go too. Maybe Skal steps up a bit.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Defensive rebounding seems like it might be an issue with those guys, especially if Aminu and Kanter go too. Maybe Skal steps up a bit.
    If Aminu doesn't resign, I need to post a Lurch pic of him shaking his head.

Kanter is off the table, unfortunately. I suppose they could offer him the $5.7M mle, but I don't think they should. Despite the excellent Defensive effort in Game 1 of the OKC series, he still struggles Defensively with bad switching, as does Meyers, while Kanter's picks are awful (can be taught in camp, though, by Meyers, one of the three best in the NBA at setting picks...there's a stat for that, including picks that lead to points). While Kanter offers three things Offensively, getting opponents in foul trouble, getting Offensive Rebound put-backs...cleaning up mistakes, and frustration by Defenders because they can't stop him from scoring down low, his Defensive limitations suggest that he should be used with the 2nd Unit where he would get taken advantage of less often by less capable PG's. With Nurkic out, Kanter would start.

Kind of glad I'm not the G.M. having to figure this out.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-25-2019 at 01:57 PM.

ESPN’s Zach Lowe poured gasoline all over the fire, saying the Wolves were “up to something” on his most recent podcast with Bobby Marks and Jonathan Givony. Lowe said they’ve have let the league know they have path to landing Russell as the franchise point guard of the future they desperately want. The social media recruiting by Towns isn’t simply some harmless fun with a close friend, either. “There has been a lot of Minnesota (signing) D’Angelo Russell noise,” said Lowe.
    "Up to something" might be troubling to T-Wolves' fans.

The only contracts that they'll be able to move are Teague and Dieng (and those only after getting someone else's back).

I can't see how they can get to a number that Russell will accept that Brooklyn won't.

Turn Off Ads?