Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020 (I知 not your fwend buddy!)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 (Iツ知 not your fwend buddy!)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    The fact that the Thunder were minutes away from eliminating the Warriors in ‘16, and more than likely winning it all that season, kinda kills that narrative.
    1) Close doesn’t count
    2) That team wasn’t led by Russ. It was led by a top-10 all time guy in Durant.

2. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (07-09-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    No way. Any team led by Russ is a dog that don’t hunt in the playoffs.
    Except for the one NBA finals and three conference finals his teams have made. I get and agree with the argument that he needs to transition to being more of a support guy in the playoffs. Needs to release his inner Mo Cheeks (and Mo Cheeks is on the Thunder bench if he'd like some pointers).
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-08-2019),Revering4Blue (07-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Except for the one NBA finals and three conference finals his teams have made. I get and agree with the argument that he needs to transition to being more of a support guy in the playoffs. Needs to release his inner Mo Cheeks (and Mo Cheeks is on the Thunder bench if he'd like some pointers).
    Yeah, but that’s the rub. You make it sound like it’s a subtle, easy transition.

Sans KD, OKC hasn’t won a playoff series.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I don't get where the confusion is.

Embiid shot 30% from three last season. Simmons, 0%.
    Simmons doesn't shoot three pointers. He's shot one three pointer in his career that wasn't a heave from half or three-quarter court. Your team three point rate doesn't drop somehow when one of your players doesn't take any opportunities away from the guys who can actually hit threes. And, as noted earlier, the addition of Hoford will likely drop Embiid's attempts to, hopefully, Giannis levels. That will, again, redistribute shots to better options from distance.

The Sixers were 8th in the NBA in three-point percentage last year, 9th in two-point percentage, and 8th in effective field goal percentage. They lost Redick (55.7% EFG) and Butler (49.9% EFG) and brought in Hoford (58.6% EFG) and Richardson (49.2% EFG), but supposedly now can't shoot and somehow we should be worried about their offense? C'mon.

M2 also provided you with additional teams to add to your arbitrary "list". I'd also throw in Milwaukee with Giannis @25.6% and Bledsoe @32.9% with George Hill coming off the bench to post a 28% rate after his acquisition while logging considerable minutes (20+ per game).
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that痴 over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.
    --Ted Williams

Re: NBA 2019-2020 (I知 not your fwend buddy!)

Nurk played a big role in getting Portland there, and I'm sure you wish he hadn't been injured. Also, you posted numerous times during the season about how good the fivesome of Dame/CJ/Nurk/Aminu/Harkless was. Even with two guys who don't have a lot of shooting range, that unit worked very well. IMO, it's more about how guys fit together than applying a generic formula.
    Yes. I agree.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

No way. Any team led by Russ is a dog that don稚 hunt in the playoffs.
    Except that it was led by George, just as the '16 team was led by Durant. Roberson would have provided the Defense on Lillard that Westbrook kept getting exposed on. OKC's entire rotation changes. But, ifs and buts are for losers. A completely healthy Portland, if we're talking completely healthy OKC, would have crushed them in 4 straight.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I'd say Gallo's shooting has a rippling effect. And I'm not saying they're a top-four seed, but they've got a nice mix of vets, youth and depth. They could be a playoff team, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

If someone makes a jaw-dropping offer for Russ, I'd get moving him. Maybe he never gets a ring. but he wouldn't be alone in that. He is the franchise's all-time leading scorer and he's been with them for their entire run in OKC. Not a lot of teams have an icon in modern sports. If OKC can keep theirs and put a respectable team on the court while they bring along SGA/Ferguson, that's not the worst thing.
    Too much risk for a guy who can't win a playoff series without a Super Star by his side. Can't waste this goldmine of picks on that scenario. I'd fire Presti if he went that direction.

Westbrook has already cost them Harden, Durant, Oladipo, Sabonis and George. The list needs to end here, or else it needs to include Presti.

11. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (07-09-2019)

Yeah, but that’s the rub. You make it sound like it’s a subtle, easy transition.

Sans KD, OKC hasn’t won a playoff series.
    Transitions are never easy, but OKC's averaging 48 wins a season post-KD. They've got first-world problems. Indiana, Miami and the Clippers all haven't won a playoff series the past four seasons. It happens. I mentioned Portland earlier in this thread, they ran back a team a lot of people insisted should be broken up and went to the conference finals this year. The right combination of health and luck, and that could be OKC in 2020. They've got a puncher's chance.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Too much risk for a guy who can't win a playoff series without a Super Star by his side. Can't waste this goldmine of picks on that scenario. I'd fire Presti if he went that direction.

Westbrook has already cost them Harden, Durant, Oladipo, Sabonis and George. The list needs to end here, or else it needs to include Presti.
    Wait second, he cost them Sabonis and Dipo? Because I could have sworn they were traded for PG13 and they had no say in the matter. Your rational faculties abandon your head when it comes to Russ.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Westbrook did not run off Harden either. I have never heard James Harden say anything remotely negative about Russ. Here is what Harden typically has to say when asked about Russell Westbrook. https://oklahoman.com/article/553663...espn-interview

Harden, now battling Russell Westbrook for the NBA’s Most Valuable Player award, sat down with ESPN’s Hannah Storm, and again reiterated how special his time was in Oklahoma City.
    Harden was asked if he misses playing with Westbrook.Yeah, of course,” Harden said. “I think if all of us had an opportunity to play with a guy like that, you’d love playing with him because he’ll run through a wall for you.
    “Every night he brings it and he wills his team to win. He literally has to do everything. I think we can all appreciate the passion he has for the game and the love that he has. Like I said, he’s a joy to watch, just because of the passion and the aggression he has. That’s what makes him who he is.”

15. Likes:

M2 (07-08-2019),ochoa30 (07-10-2019),Revering4Blue (07-08-2019)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Wait second, he cost them Sabonis and Dipo? Because I could have sworn they were traded for PG13 and they had no say in the matter. Your rational faculties abandon your head when it comes to Russ.
    And cheap ownership (refusing to pay any semblance of a luxury tax) ultimately cost them Harden.

The big picture: Presti somehow turned Ibaka into Galinari, SGA and a boatload of first-rounders, including the pick obtained today for Grant. Presti dealt George for said haul because it was the smart move, which had nothing at all to do with Russ supposedly running George off. And again, Oladipo credits his season with Russ as a major factor as to why he's become the player he is today.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

17. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-08-2019),M2 (07-08-2019),ochoa30 (07-10-2019)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Arguably the chief concern for the 76ers, IMHO: Not floor-spacing, ball-handling etc...Rather, the question of whether Brett Brown is the coach to lead the team to the finals.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

19. Likes:

M2 (07-08-2019)

And cheap ownership (refusing to pay any semblance of a luxury tax) ultimately cost them Harden.

The big picture: Presti somehow turned Ibaka into Galinari, SGA and a boatload of first-rounders, including the pick obtained today for Grant. Presti dealt George for said haul because it was the smart move, which had nothing at all to do with Russ supposedly running George off. And again, Oladipo credits his season with Russ as a major factor as to why he's become the player he is today.
    Yep - https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/...much-from-him/

Was not a coincidence Dipo transformed his body and raised his level of play after spending a season with Russ.

Coddle thy pitchers.

21. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-08-2019),Revering4Blue (07-08-2019)

Arguably the chief concern for the 76ers, IMHO: Not floor-spacing, ball-handling etc...Rather, the question of whether Brett Brown is the coach to lead the team to the finals.
    100% this ^

And since we're also talking about OKC today, not sure why Billy Donovan still has a gig there.

In separate news, watching some Summer League at the moment and Nickeil Alexander-Walker (NAW) looks really impressive.

Coddle thy pitchers.

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-08-2019)

It's looking like Lonnie Walker IV might be the best player in the Summer League.

- - - Updated - - -

100% this ^

And since we're also talking about OKC today, not sure why Billy Donovan still has a gig there.

In separate news, watching some Summer League at the moment and Nickeil Alexander-Walker (NAW) looks really impressive.
    ...since to be known as NAW, thus christened. (too much to type and get the spelling right)

Turn Off Ads?