Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020 (I知 not your fwend buddy!)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 (I知 not your fwend buddy!)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Makes sense that Horford opted in. He wasn't getting $30M on the open market. Can the Celtics still renegotiate and extend him with the opt in? I think they can (in fact, opting in might have been necessary for that), but the rules on these things are a level of arcane I haven't attempted to unravel. The idea that's been kicked around is the Celtics might turn Horford's 1/30 into a 3/70 and buy themselves some cap space.
    He didn't opt in. He's a FA, but is going to look to potentially sign with Boston anyway.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I'm not saying your wrong, maybe those teams would do something like that to get in the playoff mix, but that's all it does for them and seems like a silly move to make for all of them given where they are at in rebuilds.
    Each of these franchises (aside from Charlotte) need a playoff appearance to goose attendance, free agency, and interest. And, with the new anti-tanking rules firmly in place and Golden State likely less dynastic, taking a shot at that 7th or 8th seed makes the calculus work.

Phoenix and Minnesota, BTW, have solid supporting casts and at least one All-NBA type star already on the roster. Chicago might, in Markkenen. Either way, all three teams have enough pieces that they're legitimately one (big) piece away. Conley's a near All-NBA guy and that piece.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    He didn't opt in. He's a FA, but is going to look to potentially sign with Boston anyway.
    My bad. I read that as he didn't exercise his option to become a FA.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Great news for the Kings, and I don't know what Barnes is thinking here.

Said it a month ago...there's going to be a lot of affordable Free Agents still on the market mid-to-late August who will have to settle for one-year contracts to try again next season. They will be extra-motivated.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Harrison Barnes is declining his $25.1M player option, making him an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

This is somewhat surprising, as it is assumed that Barnes will have to take a pay cut in terms of annual salary; however, with so many teams possessing cap space this summer, he and his agent clearly believe he can lock up a long-term contract. ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski notes that Barnes and the Kings are open to exploring a new deal together this summer. Barnes averaged 14.3 points, 5.5 boards, 1.9 assists and 1.9 treys per game for Sacramento last season.

SOURCE: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

6. Likes:

M2 (06-18-2019)

One note if Horford leaves, local media spent much of the past year insisting the Celtics LOVE Vucevich. They've got the money for him now.

Might be in the Celtics best interest to just rebuild around Tatum and go young.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-19-2019)

Harrison Barnes choosing to become a free agent seems odd.

Might be, like Horford, a play to get a LTC from someone.

Barnes is a well above-average shooter from long distance who needs to be more assertive offensively. (He's almost completely dependent on runners, long twos, and threes, and simply forgets to drive to the hoop for entire quarters.) He's also been a historically lackadaisical defender, ranking near the bottom of starting SF (29th among all qualified SF in overall RPM, 46th defensively) last season.

I don't understand this move, beyond wanting to escape Sacramento.

Two items from Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Chris Paul reportedly met with Rockets' management and demanded a trade.

CP3's relationship with James Harden has reportedly become "unsalvageable," and things came to a head after the Rockets' Game 6 loss to the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals. After exchanging words with CP3 following the loss, Harden reportedly gave management a "him or me" ultimatum, and the two haven't spoken since. Paul can still fill it up, but he's had a tough time staying healthy through his 30s, and it won't necessarily be easy to move him due to his massive contract. For what it's worth, Paul disputed this reporting in an Instagram comment.

SOURCE: Yahoo! Sports

The Pacers will reportedly target Ricky Rubio during free agency this summer.

Both Darren Collison and Cory Joseph will be unrestricted free agents this summer, and it sounds like the Pacers are looking to shake things up at the point guard position. Victor Oladipo (quad) probably won't be ready for the start of the 2019-20 season, so if Rubio lands in Indiana, he could get off to a hot start acting in a lead role on offense there.

SOURCE: The Ringer
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Bradley Beal to the Pelicans? https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/p...or-both-sides/

In general, sounds like the #4 pick is in play.

Bradley Beal to the Pelicans? https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/p...or-both-sides/

Supposedly, there were beginning talks during A.D. discussions, but nothing serious. It's certain that New Orleans likes Beal and wants to pair him with Holiday. I think it gets done. Washington still has no G.M., right? So, getting anything done is extremely difficult in order to get the Owner to sign off on it, as anyone presenting anything to the Owner has to tread carefully, they not being the actual G.M.

Beal for the #4, Solomon Hill, E'Twaun Moore, and Brandon Ingram is a great deal for the Pelicans, and I can see the reasoning for the Wiz.

Beal and Holiday at the guard positions would make Lonzo Ball trade bait too. Perhaps to the Suns straight up for the 6th pick? That likely nets them either combo guard Coby White or wings Culver or DeAndre Hunter (who's being underrated a bit as an immediate 3-and-D help).

Ingram in DC could be an interesting move. He'll have to take over this season as an alpha dog and showed he could do that in short stints in LA, The team can absolutely suck around him. (And will.)

Satoransky, Ingram, Portis, Bryant, and the two picks from this season-- probably Garland with the 4th pick. Hill and Moore as second unit guys with Parker, Chaisson Randle, and whomever they draft with the 9th pick. When Wall comes back in 2020, they should have a decent nucleus of guys who they can trust-- and another lottery pick.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 06-18-2019 at 06:48 PM.

As far as Rubio to Indiana, I feel sorry for Pacers' fans if that is true.

I still don't understand the Pritchard/Cho/McMillan marriage as they have opposite philosophies regarding what it takes to win. McMillan is methodical, anal as far as trying to control every play, and Rubio fits into that perfectly. Pritchard, and Cho to an extent, likes Slashers and up-tempo play while getting players who can defend multiple positions and space the floor Offensively. Rubio is the opposite of this.

So, there is still someone in control higher up than Pritchard that's pulling strings and has a powerful say in the organization, who loves Nate a lot. It really makes it hard to have a plan when multiple people are in charge.

Seth Curry makes the most sense to Indiana. Nate would also love his ball security and quality Defense, much better than Rubio's. Seth can run any Offense, his cerebral game is off the charts, he can space the floor better than anyone sans his brother, while he also showed up under pressure until the 2nd Rd of the playoffs got to him. It was new, so that's understandable, but all season long he was clutch in the 4th, Stotts often going to a 3-Guard lineup to close out games with Curry playing the Wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Supposedly, there were beginning talks during A.D. discussions, but nothing serious. It's certain that New Orleans likes Beal and wants to pair him with Holiday. I think it gets done. Washington still has no G.M., right? So, getting anything done is extremely difficult in order to get the Owner to sign off on it, as anyone presenting anything to the Owner has to tread carefully, they not being the actual G.M.
    The Sixers made a draft trade last year without a GM. Plus, DC's conducting a draft on Thursday. Somebody's running the basketball side of things.

Charania on CBS Sports "There's not a team in the league right now that is [willing] to trade for Chris Paul. Even teams that they've called as just a dump, like 'We'll give you Chris Paul for free,' those teams are like 'No, we're good.'"
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

This is my SIXERS season to go to the finals.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?