Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds' top minor league prospects: Are any of them meeting/exceeding expectations?

Reds' top minor league prospects: Are any of them meeting/exceeding expectations?

was looking at some stats for the reds' top minor league prospects, and it appears across the board that guys are not having terrible years, but all of them seem to be falling short of expectations. talking about just for this season; not their minor league careers in general. still plenty of time to turn things around this year, but the following guys are the organzation's top prospects, and all of them are having subpar seasons imo:

taylor trammell
    tony santillan
    tyler stephenson
    jonathan india (although his .770 ops at daytona isn't bad -- like i said these guys aren't doing terrible, i just expected more)
    vladimir gutierrez (ok, alright, he has been terrible)
    hunter greene is obviously hurt, and he's basically not played any baseball the last 3 years. hardly played his senior year of high school, first handful of games as a professional. pitched half the season last year. missing all of this year. i'm still glad the reds have him and we all know pitchers can come back from tommy john as strong or stronger than ever. look at walker buehler. that's just one of many examples. so, i still have very high hopes for greene. a kid with his kind of talent and makeup is going to make it big, imo.

but anyway, couldn't help but notice many of "our" main prospects seem to be falling short this year. hopefully that gets turned around.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds' top minor league prospects: Are any of them meeting/exceeding expectations?

Just to shift the subject slightly, not disagreeing.

But what is positive is that several “non-top prospects” are looking so good.

Aquino. Alf Rod. Van Meter who actually made the bigs and contributed. Other AAA hitters like O’Grady and Longhi (perhaps helped by the lively baseball). Maybe Chris Okey back on track. TJ Antone. Kuhnel. I’m sure there are others.

To me, while some top guys have had off years so far, the story of 2019 is that so many of the others could be contributors.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-22-2019 at 12:11 PM.

4. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (06-22-2019),Rolando (06-22-2019)

Re: Reds' top minor league prospects: Are any of them meeting/exceeding expectations?

I was really hoping from some advancement on Tyler Stephenson. Just to be able to get rid of Barnhart.
    Him and Trammel. Santillan. Big disappointments so far.

6. Likes:

JFLegal (06-23-2019)

None of us has access to the internal scouting reports, so there's no way to say.

Personally, I don't care what production a player had in the minors as long as they are prepared to produce when they reach the majors.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    None of us has access to the internal scouting reports, so there's no way to say.

Personally, I don't care what production a player had in the minors as long as they are prepared to produce when they reach the majors.
    ok, i was thinking more in line with the expectations of fans and media (especially those into ranking prospects). seems all of our top guys are not meeting expectations, just by looking at the statistics.

and regardless of the internal scouting reports, there is no way the reds' brass is pleased that taylor trammell is sporting a .699 ops about halfway through the season. i hate to pick on him, because i like him a lot and still believe in him, but that is one example.

9. Likes:

M2 (06-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    If they can't produce in the minors, they aren't prepared to produce in the majors.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-24-2019),Redeyecat (06-23-2019)

Honestly, and I admit this is a pretty big hottake: if you aren’t somewhat alarmed by the performance of the reds best prospects so far this year you are crazy.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

The International League has turned into the Pacific Coast League wrt run scoring environment and many of the guys having good offensive years at Louisville -have high Babips. I kinda doubt that the production is real and i doubt it translates to MLB success -save for Josh VanMeter.

Otoh, it may mean that the pitchers are performing better than first perceived.

The system can draft okay -they cannot develop players. No one really improves- if they are league average they get moved up and stay league average ...other systems have players who occasionally make a great leap forward. When was the last time the Reds have had that kind of minor leaguer (an everyday player)? Bruce and Votto?

Pretty much zero progression in the guys that matter. If you squint hard enough you could call it neutral in some guys but no steps forward like we need to see. Speaking of the top tier guys like TT, Santillan, India, Stephenson.
    Now in the next tier you have some positive stuff from guys like Garcia and Alf Rod.

People here will hate this but Jeter Downs would easily be in our top 5 if he were still here. Over an 800 OPS WITH 12 HR and 18 SB.
    Josiah Gray would also be our # 1 or 2 pitching prospect. 78 Ks in 63 innings with a 2.71 ERA. Looks like they traded the wrong guys to get rid of Homers salary

16. Likes:

HokieRed (06-23-2019),Redeyecat (06-23-2019)

We traded what look like 3 of our top 6. Other teams knew our talent well.

18. Likes:

Alabama (06-23-2019),Redeyecat (06-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Pretty much zero progression in the guys that matter. If you squint hard enough you could call it neutral in some guys but no steps forward like we need to see. Speaking of the top tier guys like TT, Santillan, India, Stephenson.
    Now in the next tier you have some positive stuff from guys like Garcia and Alf Rod.

People here will hate this but Jeter Downs would easily be in our top 5 if he were still here. Over an 800 OPS WITH 12 HR and 18 SB.
    Josiah Gray would also be our # 1 or 2 pitching prospect. 78 Ks in 63 innings with a 2.71 ERA. Looks like they traded the wrong guys to get rid of Homers salary

You are just not going to let those 2 players go are you.

Where were you when they traded Zack Stewart. Dave Sappelt. You have to trade some assets at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    You are just not going to let those 2 players go are you.

Where were you when they traded Zack Stewart. Dave Sappelt. You have to trade some assets at some point.
    It happened a few months ago and will effect the franchise in the future. Stewart and Sappelt have no relevance here. As I’ve said multiple times, there’s nothing wrong with trading prospects when a team is ready, or for controllable assets that fit better. This team was not ready and we got nothing that will help us after this year.
    So we traded two guys who would be our systems top performers this year for what amounts to be a lot of nothing. It doesn’t matter what it looked like at the time, the trade is a huge failure if this team doesn’t (I would say win a World Series but the bar is lower here) make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    It happened a few months ago and will effect the franchise in the future. Stewart and Sappelt have no relevance here. As I’ve said multiple times, there’s nothing wrong with trading prospects when a team is ready, or for controllable assets that fit better. This team was not ready and we got nothing that will help us after this year.
    So we traded two guys who would be our systems top performers this year for what amounts to be a lot of nothing. It doesn’t matter what it looked like at the time, the trade is a huge failure if this team doesn’t (I would say win a World Series but the bar is lower here) make the playoffs.

They do have relevance as they were considered very good prospects. But I guess I will see you in the fuuuutttttuuureeeeee like 5 years from now at best to see how this plays out.

If those 2 develop though I will say it indicts how bad the Reds are at developing players when the ones they trade to other teams seem to be the only ones who develop better elsewhere.

The organization can't develop minor leaguers- the team might as well get something for them until they figure out how to support growth in the system.

Turn Off Ads?