RP- Kevin Gregg, Brad Lesley, Ryan Wagner, Jim Kern, Curtis Parch

Re: all time worst reds team

excellent work by tracy
    dont forget neftali soto and nick christiani

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Geez.

C - Dan Wilson
    1B - I haven't been alive for many bad ones. Scott Hatteberg, I guess? Tim Costo?
    2B - Jeff Treadway
    SS - Royce Clayton
    3B - Nick Esasky. Played 3B in 1984 and hit .193. The first year I can even remember baseball.
    OF - Herm Winningham
    OF - Van Snider
    OF - Corey Patterson

SP: Joey Hamilton, Eric Milton, Jimmy Haynes, Brian Reith, Tim Pugh
    RP: Kevin Gregg, Jerry Spradlin, Kevin Jarvis, Danny Graves 2002-, JJ Groover, Gary Majewski

MGR Bob Boone
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 07-10-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Removed Keppinger for Royce Clayton
    I'm just going to go find a cash machine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Geez.

C - Dan Wilson
    1B - I haven't been alive for many bad ones. Scott Hatteberg, I guess? Tim Costo?
    2B - Jeff Treadway
    SS - Jeff Keppinger
    3B - Nick Esasky. Played 3B in 1984 and hit .193. The first year I can even remember baseball.
    OF - Herm Winningham
    OF - Van Snider
    OF - Corey Patterson

RP: Kevin Gregg, Jerry Spradlin, Kevin Jarvis, Danny Graves 2002-, JJ Groover, Gary Majewski

MGR Bob Boone
    JEFF KEPPINGER???? The guy hit .332 with an OBP of .400 in one of his 2 years here.

I'll go along with most of the rest. However, Nick Esasky took some time to get going in the Majors and it looked like he was ready to take off when Vertigo shut down his career. What is it with the name Nick and vertigo?

I'll offer an alternative at 3rd base. John Vukovich. He's the guy that Pete Rose replaced in 1975. From Vukovich's own mouth: "Sparky Anderson pinched hit for me in the first inning" Now that's bad. Not too sure, but it might have been the top of the first. And he would've been batting 8th? Meaning the Reds already put runs on the board and were leading.
    Last edited by foster15; 07-10-2019 at 12:06 PM.

dick gernert belongs on the dquad along with Hank Foiles and Dutch Dotterer

7. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    JEFF KEPPINGER???? The guy hit .332 with an OBP of .400 in one of his 2 years here.

I'll go along with most of the rest. However, Nick Esasky took some time to get going in the Majors and it looked like he was ready to take off when Vertigo shut down his career. What is it with the name Nick and vertigo?

I'll offer an alternative at 3rd base. John Vukovich. He's the guy that Pete Rose replaced in 1975. From Vukovich's own mouth: "Sparky Anderson pinched hit for me in the first inning" Now that's bad. Not too sure, but it might have been the top of the first. And he would've been batting 8th? Meaning the Reds already put runs on the board and were leading.
    I started watching baseball in 1984, and I barely remember it. Barely understood it. So that's as far back as I went.

Maybe my memory of Jeff Keppinger fails me.

I started watching baseball in 1984, and I barely remember it. Barely understood it. So that's as far back as I went.

Maybe my memory of Jeff Keppinger fails me.
    Btw, just to see if he was really that bad, I looked up John Vukovich' stats. He played 10 seasons in the majors and his career AB added up to about a single season. His BA was .161 and his OBP was .203. And for some reason, somebody in the organization thought he was the answer at 3rd base for the BRM. Sparky must have been very Salty about being saddled with this guy and showed it twice, once by pinch hitting for him in the first inning and then by asking Pete to move to 3rd.

Btw, just to see if he was really that bad, I looked up John Vukovich' stats. He played 10 seasons in the majors and his career AB added up to about a single season. His BA was .161 and his OBP was .203. And for some reason, somebody in the organization thought he was the answer at 3rd base for the BRM. Sparky must have been very Salty about being saddled with this guy and showed it twice, once by pinch hitting for him in the first inning and then by asking Pete to move to 3rd.
    He sure sounds like a bum.

I think Howsam went out of his way to find defense at 3rd base after Driessen's debacle at trying to play there. I'm sure Sparky didn't like that and pinch hitting for him the first inning was his way of showing it. I think I remember that happening but don't remember who it was against. Vukovich was terrible and should never have been signed. I read in later years he was very bitter at Sparky about how he was handled. But he wasn't very good and was put in a bad spot.

I think I found the game in which he was pinched hit for early. It was actually in the 2nd inning. Driessen PH for him. The Reds had a rally going and Sparky pulled the plug on him. It was April 16,1975. Looks like about the 9th game of the year. So I'm sure Sparky had this planned out and got the opportunity early in the season to do it.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...160LAN1975.htm
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 07-10-2019 at 01:23 PM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

foster15 (07-10-2019)

Geez.

C - Dan Wilson
    2B - Jeff Treadway
    SS - Royce Clayton
    OF - Herm Winningham
    OF - Van Snider
    OF - Corey Patterson

MGR Bob Boone
    How on earth does Dan Wilson get on this list? He had a cup of coffee with the club in his first two seasons and then turned into Bret Boone and Erik Hanson and had a good enough career in Seattle.
    In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either. - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    How on earth does Dan Wilson get on this list? He had a cup of coffee with the club in his first two seasons and then turned into Bret Boone and Erik Hanson and had a good enough career in Seattle.
    He was bad while here. We're not rating these guys as assets or what they did elsewhere. He played for CIN for parts of 2 years and was pretty bad. Never hit a HR.

He ended up being pretty good for SEA, but if you think that matters you're missing the point of this exercise.

In the time I've been watching the Reds I can't think of too many horrible catchers, so he was the one I used.

think harder there were zillions of horrible catchers
    vic correll, frank house, sonny ruberto, fred kendall,

16. Likes:

Big Klu (07-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    think harder there were zillions of horrible catchers
    vic correll, frank house, sonny ruberto, fred kendall,
    Don Werner, Steve Christmas, Dave Van Gorder, Alex Trevio, Dann Bilardello, Brad Gulden, Chad Moeller, Paul Bako
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

He was bad while here. We're not rating these guys as assets or what they did elsewhere. He played for CIN for parts of 2 years and was pretty bad. Never hit a HR.

He ended up being pretty good for SEA, but if you think that matters you're missing the point of this exercise.

In the time I've been watching the Reds I can't think of too many horrible catchers, so he was the one I used.
    I'll respectfully disagree. His 1992 season was nothing but a September call-up. While with the club more in 1993, he was still back up to Joe Oliver. Should a 1st round pick be in that position? Probably not. I would suggest there are worse candidates than Dan Wilson for being on a Worst-ever team based on one lousy season. And, yes, I understand we're talking only time with the Reds, but that one lousy season wasn't emblematic of the ballplayer he was. The Reds decided on staying with Oliver and turned Wilson into something.
    In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either. - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?