Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Trade Discussion Thread

Re: 2019 Trade Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Yeah I’m not trading Castillo for any of the packages Morosi mentioned...I’d need two top 25 prospects, both of whom would have to at least already be in AA, and another meaningful piece.
    Isn't that the prospective Braves deal though?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    With all things considered there is no way I'm trading Castillo unless the Reds are getting back a dream package.

I'll do a hypo just to play along

Astros get - Castillo, Winker, Hughes
    Reds get - Whitley, Tucker, Beer, Javier
    It depends on how much Beer.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-17-2019)

I honestly think you have to entertain all trades that could improve the team. In regards to Castillo the Reds are in the drivers seat. They don't have to move him, and would need to be blown away to do so. So I would set the price at an astronomical level and see who wanted to wow me. The thing is I don't see how the Reds can be better in 2020 by trading their ace. Given the horrors of the starting rotation the past several years I'm inclined to hold on to Castillo.

Quote Originally Posted by ochoa30 View Post
    The Reds should be looking for a masher to play Left Field. Winker just isnt the guy. Maybe his bat comes back and he can be a solid fourth outfielder but he just isnt starting caliber right now if you factor in the whole package. He should also learn to play first base so he can back up there. Clint Frazier would be a solid target but I dont know what it would take. Not sure who else is out there with control.
    While I like Winker, it may be the best way to upgrade offense is in LF. Assuming of course that Puig remains in RF, or another similar player.

Getting high level offense at shortstop or catcher may not be so easy, although maybe Reds can upgrade there. Not sure they can improve on Gennett’s offense (if he’s healthy) at second. They aren’t changing first base, third base, CF.

So LF may be the most realistic place to add a masher, as you say. We’ll see.

7. Likes:

ochoa30 (07-17-2019)

OK, let's do this for the Padres now...

SDP gets:
    RH Luis Castillo
    CA Tucker Barnhart
    2b Josh VanMeter

CIN gets:
    LH MacKenzie Gore
    2b Luis Urias
    CA Francisco Mejia
    One of: OF Franchy Cordero (injured), OF Franmil Reyes, OF Hunter Renfroe, OF Josh Naylor
    One of: LH Logan Allen, LH Eric Lauer, RH Luis Perdomo

Still seems light though.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

SDP gets:
    RH Luis Castillo
    CA Tucker Barnhart
    2b Josh VanMeter

CIN gets:
    LH MacKenzie Gore
    2b Luis Urias
    CA Francisco Mejia
    One of: OF Franchy Cordero (injured), OF Franmil Reyes, OF Hunter Renfroe, OF Josh Naylor

The Reds would be crazy to pass that up if the offer was on the table.

SDP gets:
    RH Luis Castillo
    CA Tucker Barnhart
    2b Josh VanMeter

CIN gets:
    LH MacKenzie Gore
    2b Luis Urias
    CA Francisco Mejia

I worry about whether Urias and Mejia will hit in the big leagues. It's not entirely rational given it's a very small sample size for both, but I'm being extra cautious in any sort of Castillo trade.

I'm becoming more intrigued by Franmil Reyes, he seems like he might be really good.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Franmil's defensive metrics in RF are atrocious, but I could see him being much better in LF in a small ball park.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-17-2019)

Deal him to the Braves for Pache, Anderson, Camargo, and a lottery ticket. At least give him a chance to compete in some postseason games before he’s 30.

Unless the Braves, Padres, Astros - whoever - are going to back up the Brink's truck for Castillo, I'm not interested. The Reds finally have a legit No. 1 - who is under control for the next 4 seasons after this - and he's successful. As fickle and injury-prone as pitchers are, that's the anchor you need if you want to compete.

Now, if you aren't going to resign Puig, are going to let Roark/Wood walk, and say goodbye to J. Iglesias with nothing in return, then that's a different conversation. But man, I'd be so hesitant to trade Castillo.

To be honest, I'm generally still in the "trade Puig, Roark, J. Iglesias, Hughes, Hernandez, Disco, Wood if possible" camp because I think you can get quality, controllable pieces moving forward for those guys, and because I don't think the Reds are really in a competitive place "for real".

That said, I'd say go for it if the Reds could manage something like this:

NYM send deGrom, McNeil, and Smith to the Reds for Mahle, Trammell, Santillan, T. Stephenson, Richardson+.

I'd also be down for the Reds continuing to build on that by targeting Merrifield/Kennedy, Boyd/Greene, Stroman/Giles, Narvaez/Santana, or other controllable/semi-controllable packages.

It's all a pipe dream, but the Reds need to just decide to go full-bore one way or the other. I'm in for either. I'm just not in for half-assing it.
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Franmil's defensive metrics in RF are atrocious, but I could see him being much better in LF in a small ball park.
    It's no worse than Winker's

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    I'd love for the Reds to go get Corey Dickerson from the Pirates.
    I agree whole heartedly. I think he can really hit and he wouldn’t cost nearly as much as some others.

Just to show we aren't the only ones who make silly trade proposals...

Matt Natali
    @MattNatali

@CaseyStern #Nats should trade Michael A. Taylor and Wilmer Difo (and possibly Adrian Sanchez) to the Reds to bring Tanner Roark back and Amir Garrett
    7:00pm · 17 Jul 2019

Just to show we aren't the only ones who make silly trade proposals...
    Those Nats players have a combined -1.8 WAR this season. We better throw in Senzel just to make it fair.

20. Likes:

WrongVerb (07-17-2019)

Here's a Yankees Twitter one:

Bo Shek
    @ShekBo

Today #YankeesTwitter is playing Twitter GM with our new favorite site baseballtradevalues.com

I'm pretty creative. So here goes.

Yankees and Reds.

Yankees get Luis Castillo without giving up big name prospects.

Reds get rid of Vottos 5 year deal

Can't wait for comments

10:55pm · 10 Jul 2019

Turn Off Ads?