Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell is terrible

Re: David Bell is terrible

Every option Bell had in last night’s scenario was better than the one he chose. Including keeping Gray in.

With a team that has a stellar rotation yet struggles to score runs, bullpen management is going to end up being a key factor in a lot of games.

Last night’s decisions boggle the mind.

2. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (07-13-2019),REDREAD (07-15-2019),Senzling Hot (07-13-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I'm of the school that a manager does make a difference. And that you should be able to tell a good manager...even if he has bad teams.

To suggest that you have to surround a guy with talent and a winning team before you can judge him makes no sense to me. You always have to consider context, good or bad.

Moreover, the logical extension of your proposition is that they didn't give Price long enough. Four-plus years wasn't long enough to judge him accurately.
    Didnt say that you cant make a call on a manager with a bad team. I was on the fire Price train after his second season if not sooner. But you cant honestly say that anyone else would have won but a few more games then him with those terrible teams. If I'm hired as a sales manager and given a bunch of mutes as my staff without the ability to make changes on my own then I really dont think I should be blamed for the inevitable failure. Of course that's just how it works but it ain't always so black and white. Either way Bell is no Price IMO and deserves more time before we bust out the old pitchforks.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Bottom line: David Bell was handed some of the best starting pitching in the last 50 years of this organization. He's in last place. Six games under. If he can't do better than that, he stinks.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

6. Likes:

MR X (07-13-2019),Redfaced (07-13-2019),REDREAD (07-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by ochoa30 View Post
    I hated his decision last night but the guy has a pretty crap roster outside of a few starting pitchers so far this year. I'm sick of blaming the manager year after year. The players need to hold a large portion of the responsibility as well as the front office. I bet he'd look a whole heck of a lot better if he was managing the Yankees where even the back ups come through. Disappointed majorly with the offensive output so far and I dont see how Bell can be blamed for that. This org needs new people top to bottom. This just isnt working. Bell is just a scapegoat. I think he deserves more time and a better team before we crucify him. Hes obviously not going anywhere anytime soon anyhow.
    A bad manager can make any team bad. Look at Gabe Kapler, if you pay any attention to the Phillies this holds true. No matter the team Bell has shown himself to be a poor manager. He gives regulars way too many off days which makes it hard to get in a groove,he pulls pitchers early way to often, he manages the bullpen like garbage, and so much more. It is his first stint as manager so hopefully he improves because he couldn't get much worse.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    I agree but price is gone I can care less about price
    The guillotine gets dusty and possibly out-of alignment when it's used only once every four years.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

9. Likes:

North (07-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Senzling Hot View Post
    A bad manager can make any team bad. Look at Gabe Kapler, if you pay any attention to the Phillies this holds true. No matter the team Bell has shown himself to be a poor manager. He gives regulars way too many off days which makes it hard to get in a groove,he pulls pitchers early way to often, he manages the bullpen like garbage, and so much more. It is his first stint as manager so hopefully he improves because he couldn't get much worse.
    I dont follow the Phillies closely but I know their pen was decimated by injuries and they have a lot of under performing regulars. They weren't expected to have great starting pitching so it's really no surprise they aren't killing it whether Kapler sucks or not. IMO a manager likely wins or loses maybe 3 games a year for a team. Anymore then that and it would be so blatant they would be fired immediately.

I dont follow the Phillies closely but I know their pen was decimated by injuries and they have a lot of under performing regulars. They weren't expected to have great starting pitching so it's really no surprise they aren't killing it whether Kapler sucks or not. IMO a manager likely wins or loses maybe 3 games a year for a team. Anymore then that and it would be so blatant they would be fired immediately.
    Then it must be time to fire Bell.

A manager makes a huge difference like it or not. They choose who plays daily, make the lineup, and manage the handling of the bullpen.Plus so much more. IMO a good or bad manager makes more than a 3 game difference.

As for Kapler them are probably the same excuses he is using, but he is not a good manager. I would be surprised if he is not fired after this year.

I want to emphasize this is Bells first year as manager and it sometimes takes time; so, I am not trying to kill him, I just think he needs to improve.

Of course people can make some judgements. Thats the point of being a fan. All I'm saying is there are a whole lot of others who deserve blame as well. Mainly the offensive unit if you can call it that. They have been atrocious nearly all season.
    Agreed. Being a fan, gives you the expected right to judge. That's what we do. AND we've been mired in mediocrity for so long now that judgement comes swiftly. In some cases it only takes a game or two. Problem is, this team needs to win the games they should. Period. Last night should have been one in the win column.

13. Likes:

malcontent (07-13-2019),REDREAD (07-15-2019)

Need to replace some BP arms sooner or later, but at what cost, and how they do that is beyond me. They need to score more runs, more consistently, but there's not much they can do about that either this season, they're pretty much stuck with who they have and their top 4 hitters are all pretty much underachieving this year, ultimately, so you just watch and wait there.

I guess we're just waiting for the inevitable slide into 10+ games under .500 and elimination before they start opening-up positions for competition and the usual 2nd half try-outs, and trades.

Bell needs more talent and depth in BP to work with, just can't blame him at this point, his guys aren't performing in the lineup or in the BP.

They call me "chef"

If I was managing the Reds, I’d have put in the pitcher that would strike out the side. I would not have chosen the pitcher who would lose the game.

16. Likes:

Big Klu (07-13-2019),Cursh14 (07-23-2019),ochoa30 (07-13-2019),OGB (07-13-2019),Puffy (07-15-2019),Revering4Blue (07-13-2019),Shoeless Jeff (07-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    The guillotine gets dusty and possibly out-of alignment when it's used only once every four years.
    I like Dusty but let's be honest Dusty got out managed so bad in the playoffs I can't feel to sorry for him. They could fire Bell today and I wouldn't lose sleep just get whoever is the manager of a lot more Talent
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    If I was managing the Reds, I’d have put in the pitcher that would strike out the side. I would not have chosen the pitcher who would lose the game.
    The overall critique of Bell is more than one decision. The guy can't manage weather Hernandez strikes out the side or not. Fans can second guess all they want, but you worked in baseball or something like thatso I guess you are above thatand no decision should ever be second guessed because they are the so called professionals.

I believe good teams make managers look good and
    bad teams make managers look bad.

An average manager can look like a great manager with a great team, he could also look like an awful manager with an awful team.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 07-13-2019 at 04:39 PM.

20. Likes:

Big Klu (07-13-2019),JCM11 (07-13-2019),mth123 (07-13-2019),ochoa30 (07-13-2019),Rolando (07-13-2019),sjjones (07-14-2019)

Wasnt a huge fan of Price but no one wins with those teams. They had historically bad pitching. The front office never gave the guy a chance.
    I actually agree with this. The 2017 Reds with this year's starting rotation instead of Tim Adleman, post surgery Homer, 140 year old Bronson, and Sal Ramano probably makes the playoffs.

22. Likes:

Rolando (07-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I believe good teams make managers look good and
    bad teams make managers look bad.

An average manager can look like a great manager with a great team, he could also look like an awful manager with an awful team.
    so what category does David Bell fall in
    Crazy Reds Fan

Turn Off Ads?